Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Enthusiast

106 is fumpin', pumpin' up in this hoe, for sho, my bro

Intellectual Property Rights and Creative Commons

Hey people, kind of a serious thread here.
    I have seen various people use copyright images on this forum, both in their avatar, and in their signature. It is a serious offense, and is illegal. Just like stealing a car ( as the advert says for piracy of music )
    You may not know you have done it, you may have gotten the image from another site, but this is why it is important to get images from the source site where possible.
    A huge index of images is DeviantArt. This site has probably the largest collection of artists work on it. And on this site, you can find if you can use this image in your own work, or just put it in your avatar or signature.
    The biggest risk of using a copyright image when you do not know it, is from browsing photobucket or flickr. Artists from all over have been battling against these sites to remove their artwork. Thousands of sites have been shut down from using copyright artwork/images. This is the same with music.
    You are allowed to use images that are in the stock photo section of deviant art, and you are allowed to use the wallpapers for personal use, but you are not allowed to pass the image on to other people without the artists permission.
    You can ask permission by making an account and messaging them, but if you do not get a reply, do not do it.

The different Intellectual Property Rights: (information gathered from wikipedia and deviant art. Links are in there)
    Copyright:
    This is the one that most are familiar with. It is marked with a "" symbol.
    What is okay in Copyright laws?
    -Get permission to display art. Do not gain any profit from it.
    -Give VERY CLEAR credit to the artist. Bold print if necessary. Make sure it is EASY to be seen. Small print is no good. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO POINT IT OUT TO ANYONE.
    -If using someone else's art, do NOT give permission for anyone to use it. Refer them to the artist them self.
    -If you use it as a personal background on your desktop, do NOT claim it as yours or otherwise call it yours.

What is not okay?
    -Making profit off of art and not giving the artist and royalties
    -Displaying art without permission
    -Calling the artwork yours or removing the copyright or watermark
    -Source-With spelling fixes

Trademark:
    A trademark or trade mark[1] or mark is a distinctive sign or indicator of some kind which is used by an individual, business organization or other legal entity to identify uniquely the source of its products and/or services to consumers, and to distinguish its products or services from those of other entities. A trademark is a type of intellectual property, and typically comprises a name, word, phrase, logo, symbol, design, image, or a combination of these elements. There is also a range of non-conventional trademarks comprising marks which do not fall into these standard categories.

The owner of a registered trademark may commence legal proceedings for trademark infringement to prevent unauthorized use of that trademark. However, registration is not required. The owner of a common law trademark may also file suit, but an unregistered mark may be protectable only within the geographical area within which it has been used or in geographical areas into which it may be reasonably expected to expand.

The term trademark is also used informally to refer to any distinguishing attribute by which an individual is readily identified, such as the well known characteristics of celebrities. When a trademark is used in relation to services rather than products, it may sometimes be called a service mark, particularly in the United States.
    Source

Creative Commons:- This is not an Intellectual Property Right.
    The Creative Commons (CC) is a non-profit organization devoted to expanding the range of creative work available for others legally to build upon and share.
    The original set of licences all grant the "baseline rights".
    * Attribution (by): Licensees may copy, distribute, display and perform the work and make derivative works based on it only if they give the author or licensor the credits in the manner specified by these.

* Noncommercial or NonCommercial (nc): Licensees may copy, distribute, display, and perform the work and make derivative works based on it only for noncommercial purposes.

* No Derivative Works or NoDerivs (nd): Licensees may copy, distribute, display and perform only verbatim copies of the work, not derivative works based on it.

* ShareAlike (sa): Licensees may distribute derivative works only under a license identical to the license that governs the original work. (See also copyleft.)
    Source
    As you can see, CC trys to help people use Artists work, and DeviantArt supports this, but sometimes the Artist specifies what you can and cannot do.

Example:
    A lot of you may have seen this wallpaper:
    http://bebz.deviantart.com/art/Emo-18072236
    on other sites. It is probably the most stolen and ripped piece. Note how it has the copyright symbol below the image. This picture itself has been the reason why loads of sites have been closed down.

Another image is:
    http://cloxboy.deviantart.com/art/Cheec ... g-32564985
    This is not stolen often, but does it look familiar?

Yes, Cheech of Darkdemon has this image in his signature, well- did. It has been removed without warning. He has also used a copyright image in his avatar before. Which I also got him to remove. This is two offenses, which from now on, will get you banned. It is a serious offence. It is against the law. If you do not find sources of images, this is likely to happen.
    Just a warning for you all. It is a bannable offense, and will no longer be tolerated, as the site can be shut down because of it.

Thank you for reading.

EDIT: Also, thanks to PHPBB3, I can disallow you using your signature and avatar. This may also be a suitable punishment.
    And 800th thread in forum updates. OMFG.
    [center:3mdlh4lx]Fuck you. Cunt.[/center:3mdlh4lx]

Re: Intellectual Property Rights and Creative Commons

I have wondered about this myself before, and I thought it wasn't a problem as it hadn't been really noticed before. Thanks for the note.

Nev
    Veteran Enthusiast

Aye. My avatar was edited from something at DeviantArt. Just in case I removed it but I'll try to get permission or something.

I've never thought about that...
    I'll remember it!

Fanatic Enthusiast

Good thing my new signature is made by myself. :D

Seriously though, this is serious, and people really need to be careful. Good information Fraz.

Truly I thought people had made some of these themselves.

Great information fraz, I think the forum needed a good talking to.

Enthusiast

Thanks for the note. Must've taken a long time to put that together. I'll remember this for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo Da Vinci
    "Our life is made by the deaths of others."

Fanatic Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, I'll make sure that I watch out for what I put in my signature.

Ex-Intermediate Animator
    Ex-Photoshop Artist
    Ex-Virgin (LOL JKS)

That's why I like taking my own pictures and making my own art from scratch : P

I used a TF2 Achievement. So I guess there's nothing really wrong there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast