Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Camera recommendations?

Hi. I've always been interested in photography, and always been limited by mediocre digital cameras. I like photography as a whole, but I also take a lot of pictures for later reference and stock images to use in Photoshop, as I don't like using other people's stock images.

I haven't spoken to my mum about price range yet, though obviously I can't afford a 3k camera. I'd prefer a camera with changeable lenses, and I've been recommended a Canon Powershot though I have no idea about the specs and if it's actually good or not.

Sorry if this is the wrong section. I DID notice the "not a help section" thread, but I don't know where else this would fit.
    [center:13w2rfcr]My Thread (updated 26/1/11!)[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr][/center:13w2rfcr] [center:13w2rfcr]Skype: lucienpicto[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr]Steam: _picto[/center:13w2rfcr]
    Quote Originally Posted by StargateSG
    But tell me, what is homo love?

Re: Camera recommendations?

So yeah the Canon Powershot is fancy and stuff, but I'm pretty sure the lenses are not interchangeable. (I can look into it though, since it is the camera I have, though you can actually get pretty close to tiny things if you're going for macro abilities.) The pictures come out really high quality and ALL of the settings are customizable. There are also a bunch of default settings for Sports and Night shots, too. The video-taking quality is also very fancy (if you know iamcyr on Youtube, his camera is a Powershot). The zoom is also godly.

For me, the camera was a present but I know it was about $500 USD. If you want to get any more high quality then you're looking at SLR cameras and those can be anywhere for $700 to about $2000+

(Some examples of Powershot ability: Auto-Focus ability, Zoom ability, Shutter speed ability, Macro ability, More macro and speed, Zoom, Water refraction resistance, Fireworks, which are insanely hard to capture, I'll have you know, A bit more half-assed macro [And, honestly, this camera can't quite get macro in the every individual water drop-sense, and you can't see every little detail on the pistils and stamen of flowers, but you can get pretty close.])

Hope this helped a little (:
    [center:3nsymvr2]
    Writing|Animations|Tumblr[/center:3nsymvr2]

Pen
    Enthusiast

Thank you Picto for making this thread, I had similar questions. And thanks Creep for answering that.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... elid=16307

Maybe too expensive for what you're looking for, but if you want to upgrade from mediocre digital cameras the next step is an SLR. I assume this is what you mean by a camera with changeable lenses.

For a beginning SLR, you can't do better than this. Any of the Canon Rebel series cameras are great; which one in particular depends on how much you want to spend. Regardless, it is definitely an investment. The cheapest one is $549.99 (suggested retail price). And that's for the body; specific lenses can cost even more.

Unfortunately photography is one of the most expensive art forms. :P
    [center:3346oc0h][/center:3346oc0h]
    [center:3346oc0h]Blog Anims Art[/center:3346oc0h]

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSTi
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=16307

Maybe too expensive for what you're looking for, but if you want to upgrade from mediocre digital cameras the next step is an SLR. I assume this is what you mean by a camera with changeable lenses.

For a beginning SLR, you can't do better than this. Any of the Canon Rebel series cameras are great; which one in particular depends on how much you want to spend. Regardless, it is definitely an investment. The cheapest one is $549.99 (suggested retail price). And that's for the body; specific lenses can cost even more.

Unfortunately photography is one of the most expensive art forms. :P
    I'll back up what he said, Canon cameras are fantastic, but I'll add that if you can't afford any of their new ones, a second hand one like a 350D (which is still an awesome camera) or a 20D or something like that can be picked up for about 200 (not sure what that's like in Euros) on something like eBay, might have a couple of scratches here or there but as long as it is in good working order that doesn't really matter, and they are still compatible with new Canon lenses.

Unless it's just a Canon camera you want, the Sony NEX-3 or NEX-5 are good.
    Although, at the moment there are only two lenses, but I think Sony will probably bring out more since the NEX is quite new.
    It is a digital camera, but it still has high quality, and you can shoot videos with it too.
    My friend has this camera, and judging from the pictures I've taken with it, it's a very good camera.
    I think it only costs 500, and that's a good price for a camera of that quality.
    However, if it's a Canon camera you want, ignore what I just said :L
    [center:g1tltmym]

XBL:[spoiler:g1tltmym][/spoiler:g1tltmym][/center:g1tltmym]

Fanatic Enthusiast