Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

On the topic of thinking...

This has been bothering me for awhile now.
    When people think, unless they're picturing something, they normally speak and use words in their mind. What do people, who don't know of any language, think about? Would it just mumbles? diskus

Ultimate Flash Tutorial
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by ddd9824
    It wont end like that! read the bible
    And it wont end like that either. Read a brief history of time.

That is a good theory there. The only thing I can think of is that there thoughts arent understandable by others, it is just their own personel emotions they feel. Like they might have a feeling or a 'sound' they kinda 'hear' when they see something they want. Instead of thinking "hey, I want that, that would be neat" it would just be a certain emotion that the feel.

Fanatic Enthusiast

Yeah, interesting thought. I think if they don't have a language then they might have pictures in there mind as they are imagining different things. But how they would think, "I want that piece of cake, give it to me." I don't know, probably like B4R1 B4N6 said, just with different emotions.

Edit: Whoops, like what B4R1 B4N6 said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    THE POWER OF COHERENT THOUGHT COMPELS YOU. THE POWER OF COHERENT THOUGHT COMPELS YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Wojak
    probably like highly said

And I have one more thing to add about the topic of thinking. My mom grew up in Quebec, where french in the main language, and English is secondary. However she was taught both at the same time, literly, like here is the french word, and here is the english one.

The strange thing is that she never though in French, she always has thought in english. I think people dont really need a language to think about stuff, just the actual thought.

Hm...when I started this out, I had a really good correlation between my mom and languages, but I dont remember...

Enthusiast
    Thats interesting. I sometimes think in french, mainly after I get back french camp, but it wares off after I get back home for awhile.

Also what do people who were born deaf think like. There are some deaf people who learn to speak (sue thomas fbeye lol) but they never hear the sound so do they see the lips move inside there head?

Ultimate Flash Tutorial
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by ddd9824
    It wont end like that! read the bible
    And it wont end like that either. Read a brief history of time.

Quote Originally Posted by hamandcheese
    Thats interesting. I sometimes think in french, mainly after I get back french camp, but it wares off after I get back home for awhile.

Also what do people who were born deaf think like. There are some deaf people who learn to speak (sue thomas fbeye lol) but they never hear the sound so do they see the lips move inside there head?
    If you can't comprehend something visually, phonically, or otherwise, you won't. you'll reach for the nearest and easiest form of comprehension you have. MAybe blind people can comprehend colors in their minds, and associate sounds and feelings to those colors. MAybe deaf people have a vidual comprehension of sound, and they see sign language in their heads, or see lips moving. People like helen keller(sp?) who don't have sight, hearing, or expressive speech, associate tastes and textures. It's a matter of your level of understanding, and people who have different comprehensions figuratively "see" the world in a different way than most others.
    I'm gay.

Enthusiast

Offtopic, but don't you hate it when people say something and you say what, and they say "oh, nothing." Then you persist and persist and they still won't tell you. I mean why did they say it in the first place? people usually only talk to communicate something to another person. Anyway, keep on topic guyzzz.

yeah, I think other thing (animals etc.) can communicate but i don't know how. maybe different animals have different means of communicating, like I remember something about bees moving (like dancing) a certain way to communicate. that was on the Magic School Bus or something, lol.

[add me @ jjknox@gmail.com]

isnt that spamming jeff? (irony is fun)
    interesting topic.. we always think in words when we re gonna to do sumthing because we associate the words whit things OR actions,if we didnt know any language probably on our mind we would see images of that action or thing. instead of the words. btw that are my toughs

personally i think visually and phonically, I remember when i was a baby i had this dream that i spoke in full sentences. That was like 1 years old, it still creeps me out. So technically maybe babies and silent (no-language) people can think phonically as well.

hmm

hmm i always think of this my self.. if they know a nalnguage they problly use there first as there thoughts.. or what ever is easier to them.. if they dont have a language they would prbolly make there own that could consist of grunts or other foolish noices one barbaric would think of

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast