Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Music Downloading.

Like my other Think about nothing topic, this is not really philosophy, but I figured I would put it in here, for this is the place were most discussions take place, and where us smart people hang out.

Downloading music is pretty much illegal (at least in the U.S.) I know there are legal sites, but mos of it takes place from random peoples websites, or from large illegal librarys. What do you think about downloading music, should it be legalized, or not.

I personally think it should stay illegal. It is musicians main source of income, and if their music just gets downloaded for free, they will lose all funding, and not be able to produce any more songs.

What are you opinions on this? And dont say: "I think it should be legalized because then I could get music easier." Actually comment on the ethics of the situation..

Enthusiast
    I don't think it's ethical, but without downloading, I wouldn't have any music.
    And you can't completely legalized it, because only a select number of bands are actually protected. For example; Frank Sinatra is perfectly legal to download because it was before downloading was available and whoever owns the rights doesn't seem to care.
    Another example are The Barenaked Ladies who actually are downloading advocates. It's perfectly fine to download them.

Because of that it's nearly impossible to enforce it completely, because it depends on the artist, but if it ever is completely illegal I think that they should fine the person for like 1000 dollars and half of that is divided among artists or given to a charity for supplying musical instruments or something. If it ever is completely illegal people will always find ways around it. People like me who need my music and don't have much money.

Ultimate Flash Tutorial
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by ddd9824
    It wont end like that! read the bible
    And it wont end like that either. Read a brief history of time.

Well, what I do is, I download some songs form certain artists. When I really like their stuff, I actually buy the albums. Like Atreyu for example. I like them so much that I'd feel like a shit if I just stole their stuff. :P
    [center:3qmfvtqh][/center:3qmfvtqh]

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut
    Well, what I do is, I download some songs form certain artists. When I really like their stuff, I actually buy the albums. Like Atreyu for example. I like them so much that I'd feel like a shit if I just stole their stuff. :P
    Yeh. Sometimes I download whole albums and then buy the CD just so I can say I have it.

Ultimate Flash Tutorial
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by ddd9824
    It wont end like that! read the bible
    And it wont end like that either. Read a brief history of time.

Dedicated Member
    Will i dont download music nor buy i just listen to it for free on Xsao so yeah it legal, And i think that it should stay illeage cause if it was free then the musicans would be poor

614th post on 2/24 2:14

SA
    Enthusiast

Regardless whether it is illegal or not, it will still happen. To be honest, I think legalizing music downloads wouldn't increase the numbers that much in the whole scheme of things. It's like drugs. Just because they're illegal doesn't mean to say they aren't around.
    But, in terms of ethics, many believe it is "wrong" as it is a form of stealing. But, now this strays a little from the topic, who is to say what's right or wrong? Right and wrong are depicted, defined even, by society. Infact, right and wrong are religious terms. So does that mean if I'm not religious that I don't obey right and wrong? Is that "right" to do so? I don't agree with this next phrase, but how do we know murder is "wrong"?
    Our lives are dictated for us, not by fate, but by governments and parliaments, dictatorships and democracies. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by SA
    Our lives are dictated for us, not by fate, but by governments and parliaments, dictatorships and democracies. Why?
    because mr. bush has a bigger army than the darkdemon.org forums. Without government, we are either criminals (not necesarily, because bounty wouldn't exist, just bad guys) or nomads. More on topic, I think there isn't anything wrong with selective downloading. If you only like one song by the arist, why would you get the whole album. And it's justs stupid to pay a dollar for a song. On the other hand, mass downloading (downloading entire albums or music libraries from the same artist) isn't ethical,because you should buy the entire album if you like it. Quite frankly, I'm not rightfully opinionated on the topic, because my sisters buy all of the music I ever need, and put it on there files.

Bush can go stuff his army up his rear, how will he get those who are not american huh?

I emant that we have very little political power, especially in a representative republic... at least us americans.
    I'm gay.

I find it shouldn't be legalized, but it should be looked upon by musicians/government differently, because illegal downloads spread music more then ads, and i'm sure if a company (for example, reebok) finds that G-Unit has a lot of fans, and some due to downloads, it's still publicity, and they release shoes, I think Ecko released pants/shirts, ect. Remember, there's no such thing as bad publicity, and the musicians get a lot of money from sponsors, ect., so selling albums isn't that big anymore because of mp3 players and i-pods, but if i have a true band that i really like, like Method Man, which i bought his new album, 4.21: The Day After, along with downloading it illegally, i'd rather buy the album just to support a truly good artist in my opinion, then to just download their music and only contribute to the popularity of their music, rather then album sales.

Courtesy Appreciated(Click either bar for thread^)

Enthusiast
    Well, most of the musicians are rich bitches, so it shouldnt kill em, if i download few of their music..
    And they get shitloads of money from tours, sponsors and all that kinda stuff..
    But i usually do same as Baha, actually im going today to buy Chris Cornell :P

Dedicated Member
    looking at several different erotica sites lol
    I believe that piracy is illegal and should stay illegal, the musicians worked hard to make the songs they made and they deserve profit. But when People steal it, the artist gets no money, so it's obvious why piracy should stay illegal
    Mankind must end war, or war will end mankind.
    BTW CHECK OUT MAI FLASH THREAD!
    CLICK ON Meh!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast