Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Earth Falling out of Orbit

Heard this from my Physics Teacher,

If every person in china jumped then landed at the same time , the force of the people acting on the earth would cause it to fall out of Orbit,

So what I basically want discussed is if you think this is possible.

Dedicated Member
    it could be possible, but what about all the people in russia, or is china more populated...?

SA
    Enthusiast

This is very interesting. Good question Craig.

Well, the mass of the Earth is about 597 420 000 000 000 000 000 000 Kg

The population of China is about 1 400 000 000

If the average human weighs about 65 Kg (Very rough)

If all of these to jump at the same time it would be about 91 000 000 000 Kg

As you can clearly see it is not even close to the mass of the Earth but that weight suddenly striking the Earth may cause the Earth to change out of orbit slightly. Unless it would have no effect, as there is a huge weight on earth constantly, so maybe it would just affect the crust. i honestly don't know and have put some rough figures in to try to understand it better, but it didnt work : P

Old Newbie
    i dunno...............lets phone the chinese government!!

Enthusiast

Ok something you guys didnt know, If you apply a force onto something such as a chair, Newtons third law is that it will supply the same amount of force to you as you did to it,

Now for the earth , If All of China was to apply 5000 N (newtons) on earth then earth would apply 5000 N back at the people of china, Causing the earth to move, this is the same theory nassa use to get into space using rockets )

SA
    Enthusiast

Yea i do know that, but has it actually been tested, so it is impossible to know what Earht would do. Space is a mysterious place that we don't know much about. There are lots of theories and such but until it is actually done, noone can say for sure, and all ideas are just theories, not fact.

Enthusiast

Yeah your right it is a theory, But go put skates on, Then punch a wall, you will go back because the wall is applyiing the same force back to you. So what should stop China having this effect on Earth?

Lol its the -usf- Sa debate show ) cmon people lets hear you views

SA
    Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by -Usf-
    Yeah your right it is a theory, But go put skates on, Then punch a wall, you will go back because the wall is applyiing the same force back to you. So what should stop China having this effect on Earth?

Lol its the -usf- Sa debate show ) cmon people lets hear you views
    No i agree with you about the 3rd law, but if the Earth was to actually move, i doubt it would fall out of orbit becuase the sun's gravity is extremely strong, it attracts a planet over a trilliion kilograms to as far away as about 100 million miles, a far way. Having siad that, that might amplify the fall....Who know, i'll get on to the Chinese Government later today : )

Enthusiast

-

I think its possible because the Chinese people are very well populated and if they all would jump at the same time Earth is bound to nudge a little but Usf is right about the Newton thing and I should know because we learned it at school a month or so ago (-cool_)

Well, I most probably will get banned for saying a lot of shit to Smashdood over MSN because the dear behated admins at darkdemon.org will not change my name which would probably take about 10 seconds or so but heh.

I dont claim to be some great physics expert, but I think this idea is bogus. As SA said the mass of the Earth is so huge the Chinese would have little or no effect on it. Also, think about the sun's mass and gravitational pull. I dont know how big SA said the Earth was but multiply that by 100 and i believe you get the Sun's mass. That mass has a huge gravitational pull that keeps the planets in orbit. I dont think the Chinese could affect the Earth so much as to overcome its mass and the gravitational pull on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast