Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Something that sorta makes the head explode

I've been reading about how the universe works, and I've come upon something really strange that doesn't seem to make sense:

Given an electron (or any particle), you cannot determine, at any given time, more than one of the following things:
    -axial spins

For some reason, physicists claim that as soon as you observe a particle, it immediately "confines itself" to a given property, which makes it impossible to determine anything else about it. For instance, once you find out the location, you can never find out its speed, or its spin.

Something even odder - particles have NO definite location at any given time unless observed. Its location is given by a "probability wave" - a set of possible locations that it could be at at any given time. It somehow, apparently magically, "travels with the particle" as it moves through space.

What the hell is that supposed to be? Scientists have clearly made a major oversight/misconception here. From what I can see, the reality is that particles move randomly through space and the "probability wave" is something scientists pulled out of their butts to try and explain why. And now they say that it "travels with the particle". How is a mathematical equation supposed to travel with a subatomic particle?

I dunno. I really think the scientists who came up with that idea are just on a power trip and think they can just assign stuff to particles and say that. Sounds like a load of bull to me. Anyone have ideas?

Enthusiast

Re: Something that sorta makes the head explode

Quote Originally Posted by Smashdood
    I've been reading about how the universe works, and I've come upon something really strange that doesn't seem to make sense:

Given an electron (or any particle), you cannot determine, at any given time, more than one of the following things:
    -axial spins

For some reason, physicists claim that as soon as you observe a particle, it immediately "confines itself" to a given property, which makes it impossible to determine anything else about it. For instance, once you find out the location, you can never find out its speed, or its spin.

Something even odder - particles have NO definite location at any given time unless observed. Its location is given by a "probability wave" - a set of possible locations that it could be at at any given time. It somehow, apparently magically, "travels with the particle" as it moves through space.

What the hell is that supposed to be? Scientists have clearly made a major oversight/misconception here. From what I can see, the reality is that particles move randomly through space and the "probability wave" is something scientists pulled out of their butts to try and explain why. And now they say that it "travels with the particle". How is a mathematical equation supposed to travel with a subatomic particle?

I dunno. I really think the scientists who came up with that idea are just on a power trip and think they can just assign stuff to particles and say that. Sounds like a load of bull to me. Anyone have ideas?
    My head exploded just because I didn't know what you were saying, but it does seem like a paradox.
    With Awesomeness,
    Spiff
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
    [center:1xxnvxdw]PIXELSAUR | Dance, trance, 8-bit, more?
    [/center:1xxnvxdw]

Enthusiast

They could just as easily say that they are not there unless you're looking at them couldn't they. They probably put it that way so that no one could prove them wrong...Well I have no clue on how the universe works, no solutions. I'd leave that to the scientists. )

Click here to find my latest old Pivot animations.
    Click here to find my good old Pivot animations.

SX
    Fanatic Enthusiast

i sorta understood it, but whats a paradox. (im only 13 so dont think im stupid)

Fyreal: I would check wiktionary. ))(* Well, I think it's a seemingly unresolvable conflict. Correct me SD.