Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Air

Animals thought process superior or inferior?

I wonder at times, we can think only in language, and I know I can't think anyway else, but animals are deprived of language, and are unable to use language to think. So how do they think? They could have a superior, unknown way of thinking, or they could do as simple as acting on a whim. Say we think, I need to use the restroom, we usually think it out, but animals must think of that some way to.

Discuss.
    [center:2199tbiz][/center:2199tbiz]

Fanatic Enthusiast Flaming Wolf's Avatar

Re: Animals thought process superior or inferior?

Animals have a communication system. Barking/meowing/growling/etc etc is all communication. We just can't understand fully because our mind is set for our way of communication. It's like different languages, english is only normal to english speaking people while say japanese is only normal to japanese speaking people.
    [center:3m01loo1]CHECK IT OUT, I'M BACK
    ^THREAD^[/center:3m01loo1]

If you simply look at what our thought processes have achieved as opposed to those of animals, I think it's already fairly obvious who has the superior thought process.
    Do animals have a science that lets them understand the elaborate mechanisms of cosmic laws or quantum physics?

Now a case could be made for the fact that their brain are simply attuned to do other things. If you count processing sensory input a dog is far better adapted than a human. Humans evolved towards greater intelligence and creative insight. And as a human being those are the traits I value most for a brain, to be able to solve problems creatively and learn about it's environment. However should a dog be able to assess intelligence it'd be entirely possible it'd favor sensory processing ability above intelligence simply because that's what it's idea of the function of the brain is.

But as I said, as a human being intelligence is the defining factor of the value of the thought process (hell, to me it defines the value of a person). Therefore our thought process is a hundred times more valuable than that of all the animals put together.

Just because a dog lacks language doesn't automatically make it's thought process superior. To even think something like that is fucking retarded. What about children who grow up without learning any language (they exist)? According to your definition of 'thought process' they'd have no thoughts. And yet they are entirely capable of fending for themselves. The ability to process language does not impact the function of the brain. Simply because your thought process manifests itself as speech to you doesn't mean it wouldn't exist without it.

It's hard to say. I don't know where you got the "unable to think without language" jazz, because that's simply wrong. We USE language to express what we're thinking. I, (as well as many others I expect) have occasional phases of alexithymia, usually when I'm extremely depressed or happy. Basically, when I'm experiencing intense emotion I find it hard to put things in to words. This doesn't mean I'm incapable of "superior thought", it's just a phase of illiteracy, in a way. It doesn't mean I'm not thinking anything, or I'm having difficulty THINKING itself. I know what I mean. I just can't piece my brain activity into something that other people can understand.

I'd like to add: this is really fustrating. It often causes me to pretty much rage, because it's like being dumb (inability to talk, not.. yeah). I think about this a lot though. Transforming your brain's thoughts into words? Pretty amazing. It's also why I, including a lot of other people, try to discover new words or acknowledge, learn what new ones mean, because it helps better express yourself, letting the other person know what you mean. It's more precise, more scenario-based. I'm working on this, really. Words are useful.

Either way, I'm going a little off topic. Dogs, for example, are visibly dumber. Come on, you can't deny that. They chase their own tail.
    But just because they're dumb, it doesn't mean their train of thought is "inferior". I don't know if there's a way to know (mesuring brain activity? 'scuse me if this sounds utterly stupid, I'm obviously not a brain surgeon XD) but dogs are an entirely different species.. Maybe they can't communicate as efficiently as us, but what if there's some unknown connection between canines? Something we haven't even IMAGINED.
    [center:13w2rfcr]My Thread (updated 26/1/11!)[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr][/center:13w2rfcr] [center:13w2rfcr]Skype: lucienpicto[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr]Steam: _picto[/center:13w2rfcr]
    Quote Originally Posted by StargateSG
    But tell me, what is homo love?

I'd rather not deal with hypotheticals, because that's a slippery slope.
    I deal with Physical Evidence and Reasoned Logic (PEARL) and since we have no scientific evidence of 'psychic dogs', it is fair to assume there are none until evidence arises to the contrary (spoiler: there won't be any).

dont you think its mostly instinct?

*theres some enemy wolves approaching*
    *i better warn the others and mobilize a defence*
    *runs towards freindly wolves and alerts them of attackers*
    *insinct kicks in reminding them of the importance of their cubs/family/territory*
    *defence ensues*

most of this "thinking" is just self preservation, or groupthink.

if a dog is dumb, you teach it. nothing is gained unless taught or experienced. a guide dog will be far superior in comparison to a gaurd dog in terms of thought process because the guide dog has been taught how to deal with numerous variables, whereas the gaurd dog simply lives by *is it owner? if yes, be still. if no , attack*

Animals think with emotions. They don't think "I want to piss on a rock", they simply think of pissing on a rock. Yes, animal intelligence is inferior. The 'scientists' that say DOLPHINS are more intelligent, can go rape one.
    I will try to return courtesy. I'm not that good at animating, so I can't really make any long detailed messages on how to improve.

My Thread|Droidz|Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Animals think with emotions. They don't think "I want to piss on a rock", they simply think of pissing on a rock. Yes, animal intelligence is inferior. The 'scientists' that say DOLPHINS are more intelligent, can go rape one.
    What the fuck?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by [AC
    ]I wonder at times, we can think only in language, and I know I can't think anyway else.
    Sign language, body language etc.

I don't think animals even change they're facial expressions on purpose, so I think we have +2 languages there, also, other animals can't learn other languages, excluding some cases with monkeys and such, so I think we are superior.

I agree with Corner. The thought process of an animal is probably much more simplified than ours. They simply think of actions, images, smells. We, as humans, feel the need to over-complicate our damn lives and translate everyone of our emotions into language. Language itself is an adaptation, it allows us to communicate with each-other allowing us to form multi-faceted plans and strategies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahgro
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob
    Son of a bitch!
    You called?
    OMG! What a Chomp!