Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Evolution

  1. #1
    Veteran Enthusiast Lawn Feed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cheesy Grin
    Posts
    7,618

    Evolution

    So I was thinking about how evolution worked which is basically that over millions of years the animals in a certain species with the strongest traits survive more often and are therefore more likely to pass on that trait until it gets to the point where almost every animal in that species has that trait. Right? (If this is wrong then fuck)

    So I was thinking about the human race today and how our chances of survival are much higher then they used to be therefore even if you're born with, say, a muscle disfunction and can barely walk as long as you're born in a first world country you're more than likely to survive. This means that, whilst in the case of a muscle disfunction this may not be possible I don't know, people who are born with traits that normally in the wild would lead to them not surviving can survive and reproduce. Therefore these traits can still be passed down generations as well as the 'superior' traits. So surely this means that evolution will at the very least happen alot slower until, eventually, in the far future when we have superior healthcare it will totally stop?

    I'm sure there's a simple answer to this that proves me wrong so please feel free to shoot me down in flames.
    [center:1hzoraxf][/center:1hzoraxf]

  2. #2
    Fanatic Enthusiast Flaming Wolf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    GIRLS WHO PUT OUT GET SPECIAL TREATMENT
    Posts
    4,589

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Feed
    This means that, whilst in the case of a muscle disfunction this may not be possible I don't know, people who are born with traits that normally in the wild would lead to them not surviving can survive and reproduce. Therefore these traits can still be passed down generations as well as the 'superior' traits.
    Their chance of reproducing is lowered. In either case, humans tend to want a mate (Or mates, for that matter) that are good looking, chances are that if this muscle disfunction occured some part of the human would be mis-shapen, and well.. Ugly.

    If the human did mate with this disfuntion, it would not be a superior trait. It would likely cause a genetic screw up, that would not show itself until two mates with the same genome had a child. Traits with this ability are "Recessive" as compared to "Dominant" genes that only require one parent to have the genome to cause it.

    Hope that helped.
    [center:3m01loo1]CHECK IT OUT, I'M BACK
    ^THREAD^[/center:3m01loo1]

  3. #3
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,555

    Re: Evolution

    I've always thought about Evolution and I don't understand something. If we evolved from our closest ancestors i.e Monkeys -> Missing Link -> Humans. (So monkeys, since we don't know that link). Shouldn't some humans be born in the wild? I don't understand, once 1 human has come from a monkey, can't any more come from them? I don't know if you catch my drift but is Evolution a fixed chain. Say 1 animal that has already evolved won't evolve into another again?

  4. #4
    Veteran Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    5,638

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Hectik
    I've always thought about Evolution and I don't understand something. If we evolved from our closest ancestors i.e Monkeys -> Missing Link -> Humans. (So monkeys, since we don't know that link). Shouldn't some humans be born in the wild? I don't understand, once 1 human has come from a monkey, can't any more come from them? I don't know if you catch my drift but is Evolution a fixed chain. Say 1 animal that has already evolved won't evolve into another again?
    Evolution is constant, in the next 10,000 years, if we're around, our species will have changed, also:

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/ ... ssing-link

  5. #5
    Veteran Enthusiast Lawn Feed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cheesy Grin
    Posts
    7,618

    Re: Evolution

    I know about recessive and dominant genes but that doesn't change anything. The genes are still just as likely to get passed down so the trait isn't going to be eliminated. I also acknowledged the fact that in the case of a muscle disfunction reproduction would be less likely but firstly not every undesirable trait would have this characteristic and secondly even if someone is ugly doesn't mean no one is going to want to have sex with them (another ugly person).

    So yeah you raised some good points but in the end the trait would remain just as likely to occure as before rather than being faded out by evolution in any case in which sex was likely.
    [center:1hzoraxf][/center:1hzoraxf]

  6. #6
    Fanatic Enthusiast Flaming Wolf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    GIRLS WHO PUT OUT GET SPECIAL TREATMENT
    Posts
    4,589

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Feed
    I know about recessive and dominant genes but that doesn't change anything. The genes are still just as likely to get passed down so the trait isn't going to be eliminated. I also acknowledged the fact that in the case of a muscle disfunction reproduction would be less likely but firstly not every undesirable trait would have this characteristic and secondly even if someone is ugly doesn't mean no one is going to want to have sex with them (another ugly person).

    So yeah you raised some good points but in the end the trait would remain just as likely to occure as before rather than being faded out by evolution in any case in which sex was likely.
    Yes, the genome will be there, but it does not at all mean that the entire species will get it, nor with a majority of the species get it, some will, some won't, it will always be there, much like Polio, it's there, but it's not common enough to degenerate a species.
    [center:3m01loo1]CHECK IT OUT, I'M BACK
    ^THREAD^[/center:3m01loo1]

  7. #7
    Veteran Enthusiast DAMON's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    6,468

    Re: Evolution

    This has been answered before at least once by me. Look around the debate area before you post. Also, there are already MANY topics to discuss evolution in, no need to make a new one. These are basic tenants of the debate area.
    But I'll let it slide since your lawn-based humor amuses me.
    I touched on this subject here: http://darkdemon.org/viewtopic.php?f=28 ... 9#p1038436

    Why do people always insist there is a missing link we haven't found? Sure, there are some gaps in our fossil record, and Ida fills the last important gap left, but our evolution from the very early primates is extremely well documented. We know our lineage, stop implying we've just assumed we came from apes and are still looking for something to fill the gap our assumption leaves us with. And Ida isn't a magic missing link between humans and apes. I'd be hard for her to be, since she's not even an ape, nor hominidae, nor monkey. She sits much further up the taxonomic record, between haplorhini and strepsirhini (Dry-nosed monkeys and wet-nosed monkeys. We came from dry-nosed, if you were wondering). She is the last significant link we needed to find, the last transitional between two subsets of our phylogenetic tree.
    More on Darwinius masillae: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri20s...e=channel_page

  8. #8
    Dedicated Member Kahgro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida.
    Posts
    500

    Re: Evolution

    Evolution is a fact, or as close to one as its ever gonna be. Get the fuck over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahgro
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob
    Son of a bitch!
    You called?
    OMG! What a Chomp!

  9. #9
    Fanatic Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Jinja makez me horny yalol
    Posts
    4,058

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by kahgro22
    Evolution is a fact, or as close to one as its ever gonna be. Get the fuck over it.
    Ah, I remember when I was going through this stage.

    Make a logical statement, followed by evidence and/or backed up by research in a debate like this, not demanding somebody agree with your point of view simply because you think it is best.
    [center:1n34a6n7]Ground Zero

    [/center:1n34a6n7]
    [center:1n34a6n7]Ground Zero, the first of one of my many CYOA's.
    Click the top part of the signature, and try to get out alive.[/center:1n34a6n7]

  10. #10
    Veteran Enthusiast Sniper's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,494

    Re: Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by kahgro22
    Evolution is a fact, or as close to one as its ever gonna be. Get the fuck over it.
    Actually it's a theory.
    [center:hn9zn80r][/center:hn9zn80r]


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •