Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: My Theories

  1. #1
    SA
    SA is offline
    Enthusiast


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,316

    My Theories

    I can't be bothered in all the threads i've missed, so here is one huge one with many points.

    According to the bible, the Earth is a meer 10,000 years old, so how do you explain all these fossils, rocks, landscapes older than that? Did God put it all here to dillusion his creations from discovering the truth? Was there really a BIg BAng? Many questions that have and probably will never be answered. I have no clue what happened, every time i think about it, i am torn between various things. If there was a big bang, and chemical reactions happened to stem life, was it all planned? Did GOd decide to make a new universe with us living on one planet, going about our lives? This is where i extract a bit of the Matrix plot. Maybe there have been countless Earth's before us and GOd just makes anohter one when the previous goes wrong. Man is destroying itself right now and maybe this has happened before. BUt, if this is what happened, why doesn't God stop it? If he can create the universe why let it destroy itself, let innocent people die everyday, one for the christians to ponder about. And now for a Men in Black theory. MAybe our universe is in a marble, a box ect. and a greater being than ourselves controls us, maybe he has other boxes and marbles. Maybe there is no such thing as GOd and all these myths ect. like Jesus. BUt then i ponder, so did we just appear? how? When a chemical rection happens, in a lab for instance, we control it, is our wolrd like this, with the BIg BAng. But there are reactions happening without interference, naturally happening, so was the world created like that, un-interfered with. Maybe these ideas of a greater being comforts us into thinking we are safe. There are so many things unanswered. Maybe a greater being is giving us more and more now and again, giving us an Einstein, the ability to travel into space, cure diseases, like us and a simulation game like the Sims for instance. Now again we give our person somehting special which imporves its life. NOw just think, supposee the sims wasn't a game, suppose we had control over these living things. Giving it stuff now and then to improve its life, watching it grow. Myabe this is what is happening now, there is a kid watching us grow....

    Then there is life and death, what happens? Everytim i think about it i nearly get a headache, i jjust cant get my head around it. Do we carry on thiknig, but where? do we get reborn and our memeory erased, but how is that like? I can't comprehend that. Do we float around the Earth as spirits. Do we go to a heaven or hell? This is perhap the hardest question to answer, but almost certainly the mmost relative to understand. With all the other theories, it is not of great importance, we just live our lives, grateful for what we have, pondering now and then about these things. But with death, it is something every single living thing faces.....

    I just don't know.....

  2. #2
    Enthusiast Red Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    If you tied buttered toast to the back of a cat and dropped it from a height, what would happen?
    Posts
    1,520
    Ok,
    out of the dust and cobwebs you come.
    i think these are good theries. This is why I bumped it.
    "Bumping is allowed in Philosophy"


  3. #3
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nouvelle-Écosse
    Posts
    2,343
    One of the many current theories on how we came to be starts with lightning sticking a glob of protoplasm. The electrical current mixed with that particular substance creates the first organism and life goes on from here. You say "what are the chances of that?" but really, given how perfect our planet is for life, and how long the earth has been around, the chances of it not happening are probably quite large. There are a bunch of other similar theories. Some suggest that a meteor with bacteria on it, from another planet where bacteria is easier to come by, hit our earth and that created the first life. It's something that isn't really understood, but we do know that life lived on mars and that some meteors have bacteria on them, so they're obviously coming from somewhere with life other then our own, making both theories plausible.

    And about death. The fact of the matter is that we've all been dead before. Before we were born that is. When we die I think we just die. No restart button, no eternity in bliss. I was fine with it before my conception and I'll be fine with it during my disintegration. We are all just large clumps of cells constantly dieing and regenerating. Every 5 years, it's been estimated, is the time it takes for our body to completely renew itself. So in every 5 years your living in a new body then the one 5 years before. We're constantly dieing, very slowly, until our inevitable death, and to think that after our final cells die and and no more are they regenerated, we move on to something else, may be comforting, but it may also be wishful thinking.

    I also don't think it's possible that there once was a colony of humans on earth before our own, who went extinct. If it were so we would find fossilized humans dating back longer then 4 million years, but our oldest human remains only go back approx 160000 years. I don't believe in a personal God, because he isn't necessary to explain anything. He's just an after thought of early Egyptians trying to explain why the sun comes and goes and why the rain starts and stops. There is just no rhyme or reason for me to even want to believe in a God, when understanding the world for what it truly is, is much more rewarding.

    Ultimate Flash Tutorial
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by ddd9824
    It wont end like that! read the bible
    And it wont end like that either. Read a brief history of time.

  4. #4
    Dedicated Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sizzle my Sausage
    Posts
    567
    Dang. That was a lot of reading.
    Interesting theories.
    There's always a lot of theories about the Universe
    CHEEZ IS COOL

  5. #5
    Fanatic Enthusiast


    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,589
    isn't the answer to any question, no matter how complicated, 'who cares?'

    seriously. ask youself 'what will i gain from knowing the answer to this question?' and if the answer is nothing then the first question is pointless and doesn't need to be asked.
    Elite Forgotten

  6. #6
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nouvelle-Écosse
    Posts
    2,343
    If the human mind were that lazy penicillin, which have saved thousands of lives, wouldn't have been invented. We wouldn't have advanced at all out of the roman ages. Mathematic concept would have been shot down in an instant because we just don't care. No one would even want to have children. You get the picture.

    Also if the answer is nothing it's because we aren't looking hard enough. With every explanation we find in the universe we get closer to understanding how things work. Frankly that's very exciting to me.

    Ultimate Flash Tutorial
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by ddd9824
    It wont end like that! read the bible
    And it wont end like that either. Read a brief history of time.

  7. #7
    Veteran Enthusiast BEER BEER STRONG's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    I am the liquor
    Posts
    5,853
    I think what Bert's trying to get at is that all of those were developed because of a problem that we needed to overcome. We needed penicillin to save lives, we needed math to understand how to calculate mechanical problems and logic dictates that if we don't reproduce, we'll die out.

    However, if we do find the origin of life to be some bacteria on a meteor, what good will it do us? It'll be a "That's nice to know" thing. It won't help us, other than knowing there's bacteria elsewhere in the universe, which we already knew. It won't help us progress at all, like those other things did. All of the things SA talked about are nice to speculate on, but they don't really help us in the long run.

    The thing about death is more how you take the term. Yes, cells "die", but not in the sense that we think of it. According to us, death is once all our cells are unable to sustain bodily functions, and we die because of it. As long as we have enough functioning cells to survive, we aren't "dead." It's just an issue of semantics. You can take it either way.

    And I'm sort of like Ham in the God department (not completely), I do believe in God, but not in the literal sense that he created the universe, and is waiting for us in heaven. There may be some extraterrestrial greater being, that looks over us, but it doesn't really bother me.

    [edit] I just noticed Ham's edit after I posted this, I do agree that the pursuit of knowledge is exciting, but I still don't like comparing it to medicine etc.
    [center:16hbm10o]

    He lost all his friends
    He didn't need his friends
    He lived with his mother and repeated himself[/center:16hbm10o]

  8. #8
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nouvelle-Écosse
    Posts
    2,343
    If you believe in the afterlife it make our life essentially meaningless. You just have to make it through life and hope that you don't piss off the big guy. As an Atheist and a Humanist I can appreciate life more because I know it's my only life. To quote 'Mapantsula'

    "I don't need to live forever to live once and to live completely."

    If we found definitively, or rather could convince the afterlife believers, that when we die we're dead, we would no longer have to worry about suicide bombers, crazy fundamentalists like Paul Hill, or people who ignore things like Global Warming because "It won't effect me because I'll be in Heaven." and so on down the line of grandchildren who will subsequently end up in Heaven a lot sooner, as they could be 10 feet underwater. It's all just a giant, eloquently orchestrated "I don't care."

    The same goes for the creation of the universe. If we can understand that, then maybe we can deduce how the universe will end, and if we'll be prepared for it. If we can better understand the world we live in, we can better be at one with it. We can better help those in need. If we could simply and definitively prove that our universe was created by something in another dimension, it's just one step closer to us harnessing those powers. Quantum Mechanics may seem dull and pointless at first, but really it's extremely profound, that up until the discover of Quantum Theory, we though we knew everything we could know. It's just an eye opener that we don't have all the answers, but we will work to getting closer to them, which will make the world a more tolerant and united one.

    Every answer that we find, opens a world of new questions. With each question comes further answers and with each answer comes a better understanding of how we came to be. We no longer need the dogma of religion to explain us. Matt. You're a deist. I don't mind deists one bit, and actually it's very close to atheism but God closes the door to questions which need to be answers, and the answers will do more then be an interesting fact. A world without religious dogma is a world without Holy War, a world without hate and intolerance, and a world finally at peace.

    "I am a Jew and a Muslim and a Buddhist, Catholic, and Protestant. I am a Hindu polytheist and a secular atheist. Of these all, I believe in atheism. But it is not what I am. I am a human being. And as a human being, I am all of humanity - diminished by its loss and enriched by its gain, culpable in its cruelty but driven by its heady wonder."

    Ultimate Flash Tutorial
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by ddd9824
    It wont end like that! read the bible
    And it wont end like that either. Read a brief history of time.

  9. #9
    Dedicated Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    777
    Posts
    934
    Freedom is more important than existance.

    If God "aassuming he exits" creates man an they keep failing like in your theory it's because we make the choice to. If god decided to stop us from destroying ourselves he would destroy any reason for us to exist so we might as well be dead anyway.

    it's a paradox.

    like every thoery I find interesting.

    The point is. I'd rather be alive for a while, able to make choices, then alive forever without those choices.

  10. #10
    Fanatic Enthusiast Sticky's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Not here.
    Posts
    4,912
    My theory on the evolution of life and it's creation is that we DID have a Big Bang. From the Big Bang, micro organisms in the rocks and moisture substances in the meteors that crashed into earth after the Big Bang and formed us. So, lets get started with basic mitosis. I think that those organisms adapted and then followed through mitosis and budding to reproduce. Maybe about 100,000,000 later we began to become multi-cellular. Soon after in about 10,000,000 we might of started meiosis for sexual reproduction (sorry if that is instituted as adult content). So later on through evolution we became more advanced into the people we are today. (This is just my theory and is probably wrong in many ways, so I apologize if it makes no since and is spam).


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •