Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Higgs Boson and Large Hadron Collider (LHC)

The Higgs Boson is a huge particle hypothesized to exist by the standard model in physics. You may know the Higgs Boson particle better as the 'God Particle', as the media would call it. It's the only standard particle that hasn't been fully observed in modern day particle physics. The detection of the Higgs Boson explain the difference between the massless photon and Z bosons. To be more exact, Investigation of the Higgs Boson would indicate the origin of mass in the universe, if I am wrong there, please correct me.

But anyway, my friend and I were having a talk with our chemistry intern about this topic. My friend seems to think that scientists trying to find such a particle is unnecessary because of the opposed dangerous rumors around the LHC. Chris (the intern) and I explained to my buddy that this is a necessary scientific topic, and needs to be discovered for massive breakthroughs in physics. People seem to flip shit about the LHC making black holes. The black holes that the LHC would make are so small, and last only but half a milisecond or less, so the black hole would have very little pull. A black holes pull depends on it's mass, and its mass depends on its lifespan. Black Holes happen everyday in space because the Higgs Boson particle occurs often in space because of cosmic rays hitting the atmosphere. What scientists could create in a laboratory would doubtfully match what happens naturally in space. Again, if any of this is wrong, please correct me. I know a lot of you guys are brilliant, and I am only basing this off my own knowledge.

BUT, now for the debate topic. Do you think scientists trying to find the 'God Particle' is necessary? Or do you oppose? Feel free to be broad and just talk about the Higgs Boson here, or the LHC.
    [center:1o6efzo1]
    forum rules staff team forum search [/center:1o6efzo1]

Veteran Enthusiast

Re: Higgs Boson and Large Hadron Collider (LHC)

No problem here, and I doubt many will object.

Fanatic Enthusiast

I can see why people flip over apeshit when they hear it might make a black hole. Mainly
    because all we've seen (normal people, not crazy smart. Like me D have only seen black
    holes on TV that totally destroy our world.

But the blackhole you talk about being so small and so short, I see no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera
    No problem here, and I doubt many will object.

I didn't even think about people objecting, but a lot of people in my class were like 'oh man black holes are bad!'.
    [center:1o6efzo1]
    forum rules staff team forum search [/center:1o6efzo1]

Veteran Enthusiast ULTRA1337piv0tz's Avatar

I hate that blackhole thing, we need to know some things. And if they are so small as you say, it probably won't even be a problem.
    Steam: xendlessnl

I'm all for the LHC. The only people who are against it are uneducated morons who decide that the media is obviously telling a completely unbiased story when they claim that black holes will be made. People hear 'black hole', and they start freaking out.

It really isn't a huge deal. Black holes decay, and more mass equals a longer lifespan. With the LHC, you're only smashing together minuscule particles, and as such, their lifespan is incredibly short. Black holes that we think of, the giant ones, occurs from supermassive stars. Stars, people.

As in, several times larger than our sun, which is, mind you, much larger than us.

It's completely worth the study, and anyone who thinks otherwise is, as previously stated, an uneducated moron. That or their ignorant. They're different, believe it or not.
    SA$_/AI%20has log[d in.
    > S&ys|BT
    > P_s word?
    > OMEGA
    >> A^e_%20_u su!e? (Y/N)
    > Y
    >> S##t m_ Rebooting. Hello, Samuel.

Veteran Enthusiast

I heard about this on Discovery channel. :/
    It's pretty cool. I'm freaked out about the whole black-hole idea but I'm totally cool with it because it wouldn't last that long. Since it's so small. So I see no problem with them conducting this.
    [center:3jvto3gf]Merry Thread - mas![/center:3jvto3gf]
    [center:3jvto3gf][/center:3jvto3gf]
    [center:3jvto3gf]Lmao, Knock Out![/center:3jvto3gf]

Fanatic Enthusiast

If it helps us forward any research into mass and any other theory it could help, without causing drastic harm to the planet, why worry?

Oh, that's right, the fanatical christians will try to say it will be judgement day. They must be right guys! Let's not get further information, some zealots who have had their face smashed into a bible so many times they're brainwashed against logic and reason say that it will kill us all.

Oh the irony.
    [center:1n34a6n7]Ground Zero

[/center:1n34a6n7]
    [center:1n34a6n7]Ground Zero, the first of one of my many CYOA's.
    Click the top part of the signature, and try to get out alive.[/center:1n34a6n7]

Fanatic Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by EverBlack
    If it helps us forward any research into mass and any other theory it could help, without causing drastic harm to the planet, why worry?

Oh, that's right, the fanatical christians will try to say it will be judgement day. They must be right guys! Let's not get further information, some zealots who have had their face smashed into a bible so many times they're brainwashed against logic and reason say that it will kill us all.

Oh the irony.
    Why the fuck would you bring a bias thought on religion into this debate?

Fanatic Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy The Hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by EverBlack

Oh the irony.
    Why the fuck would you bring a bias thought on religion into this debate?
    It's not a bias thought, although i admit it sounds very much like one.

Fanatics WILL label this as a judgement day, but, my point still applies. It wont do any drastic damage to the planet, so I say go for it.
    [center:1n34a6n7]Ground Zero

[/center:1n34a6n7]
    [center:1n34a6n7]Ground Zero, the first of one of my many CYOA's.
    Click the top part of the signature, and try to get out alive.[/center:1n34a6n7]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast