Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Innocence and Youth

"Who can help protect the innocence of our children
    Stolen on the internet with images they can't forget"

Lyrics to a song by Skillet (Looking for Angels), which I really don't agree with. It says it as if it's innocence that has to be kept, when really it's just realisticness. Children shouldn't be brought up with a false idea of the world, it's just wrong. What happens when they find themselves on their own? The shock would be 10x bigger.

I'm not going to elaborate on the whole thing, partly because I can't be bothered and partly because there's not much else to say.
    [center:13w2rfcr]My Thread (updated 26/1/11!)[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr][/center:13w2rfcr] [center:13w2rfcr]Skype: lucienpicto[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr]Steam: _picto[/center:13w2rfcr]
    Quote Originally Posted by StargateSG
    But tell me, what is homo love?

Re: Innocence and Youth

In a way, I agree while I also disagree with this topic.

Protecting a child's innocence is important in some ways like protecting them from things that parents will deem evil or unacceptable to their children so they don't either imitate what others are doing or follow a stray path which could have horrible consequences in the future when they are fully mature, etc.

The other side of the argument to me, is that no silver bullet can kill everything that is considered evil so how can you possibly save a child because of that because they'll still see it in the media when they develop reading skills and all and overhear it during a discussion or wherever.

Dunno if that's what you meant by the topic name and all.
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

The trick is balance. Your not gonna sit a child infront of the uncut unedited edition of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre to give them an idea of the psycho-paths out there.

And your not gonna tell them the outside world is paved with candy and has rivers of flowing lemonade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahgro
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob
    Son of a bitch!
    You called?
    OMG! What a Chomp!

Quote Originally Posted by kahgro22
    The trick is balance. Your not gonna sit a child infront of the uncut unedited edition of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre to give them an idea of the psycho-paths out there.
    Welcome to reality my friend, some parents will actually do this or show another movie that is not suited for that age so that their kids have an idea or something along those general lines. Is it fucked in the head? Yes, most definitely but some parents are sick and twisted.
    And your not gonna tell them the outside world is paved with candy and has rivers of flowing lemonade.
    You're right, we wouldn't...you know why? There is a tolerance level to what a kid can imagine or have put into his head before he/she thinks of it to be complete bullshit or can develop a fear or whatever for that certain, general topic. If we really did pull this trick, then you may as well lock yourself in a cage filled with venomous animals like scorpions and just await for death because you'd not only be fucking yourself over in terms of money because kids would be getting hurt more, but you'd be making yourself look like a grade-A asshat who can't parent worth shit.
    If you're wondering, I edited my argument in.
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

It's better to just let us kids discover things for ourselves, rather than either shielding us from the truth or sitting us in front of a computer and showing us people rapping each other and having gay sex.
    [center:hn9zn80r][/center:hn9zn80r]

Devoted Veteran

Honesty is definitely a good thing to have when it comes to a parent-child relationship. The biggest thing that comes to mind when I think of that is sex. I think that trying to protect children from the truth about how sex works and how it happens is silly. Obviously parents shouldn't willingly bring it up unless the child inquires as that could just lead to unnecessary awkwardness, but why make up stories? What will that lead to?

Obviously sex isn't the only thing but it's the best example I can think of because I think it's what parents avoid and lie about probably more than anything else. But that's still partially off topic.

While it still isn't right to be dishonest with a child, there's still a fine line between childhood and adulthood on a responsibility level (among many other things). Children should have some sort of level of innocence and ignorance towards what the real world is like, and there's nothing wrong with keeping that partially concealed. When someone is young it will only cause unnecessary stress. Children are treated differently than adults for a reason. Children aren't necessarily in the 'real world' yet in a sense, why drag them in?

The way I see it, easing in is the best method. I don't know of anyone who has ever faced the problem of instant realization of 'OMG THIS IS THE REAL WORLD' like you described in the original post: 'What happens when they find themselves on their own? The shock would be 10x bigger.'

Sorry if this post seems random or disorganized, I'm kind of jacked up right now. I hope I at least made somewhat of a point though lol.
    [center:2mwkv12p][/center:2mwkv12p]

When i was little i used to think that when a woman gave birth the doctors cut open her stomach, take the baby out, and then sew it back together or something o_o
    [center:hn9zn80r][/center:hn9zn80r]

I don't mean traumatising for the sake of traumatising; that's just the same, giving a false view of the world.

What I don't like is just how kids are taught either, when they shouldn't be shielding from either the good, the bad, the unfair, the fair, you get the idea.
    [center:13w2rfcr]My Thread (updated 26/1/11!)[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr][/center:13w2rfcr] [center:13w2rfcr]Skype: lucienpicto[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr]Steam: _picto[/center:13w2rfcr]
    Quote Originally Posted by StargateSG
    But tell me, what is homo love?

Quote Originally Posted by .ChAoZ
    Quote Originally Posted by kahgro22
    Welcome to reality my friend, some parents will actually do this or show another movie that is not suited for that age so that their kids have an idea or something along those general lines. Is it fucked in the head? Yes, most definitely but some parents are sick and twisted.
    You're right, we wouldn't...you know why? There is a tolerance level to what a kid can imagine or have put into his head before he/she thinks of it to be complete bullshit or can develop a fear or whatever for that certain, general topic. If we really did pull this trick, then you may as well lock yourself in a cage filled with venomous animals like scorpions and just await for death because you'd not only be fucking yourself over in terms of money because kids would be getting hurt more, but you'd be making yourself look like a grade-A asshat who can't parent worth shit.
    If you're wondering, I edited my argument in.
    I find no point in your reply what-so-ever. I found no rebutal or counter-arguement, so why are you even bothering to reply?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahgro
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob
    Son of a bitch!
    You called?
    OMG! What a Chomp!