Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time

Fanatic Enthusiast

Time

How do you define time?
    Was there a beginning to time, or has time always been?
    Will there ever be an end to time?
    Can you change the future, the past, or is everything set in stone?

Many questions such as these revolve around time. What are your opinions about time, what theories do you find plausible, and why do you favor those theories opposed to other theories?

I'm gonna edit my opinions and views into this tomorrow morning, I'm going to bed as of now.

Re: Time

How fucking weird, I was just thinking of making a thread about this topic.

I was just pondering time, and how most of humanity revolves around it completely. Not just through necessities like sleeping, eating when hungry, etc. But other, more specific things, like school, work, when to meet your buddy somewhere, what time a movie starts, etc.

I had this weird idea that time is a common 'god' among humanity. I will use Christianity as an example. The Bible said 'god' created the earth in seven days, and made a big deal out of that folktale. Christians also worship on Sundays, and on other days of the week, depending on the branch of Christianity they are. All of this revolves around time. I just get the idea that a large portion of the Bible revolves around time, and that shit is planned that way. So, basically what I am getting at is time represents 'god', or 'gods', whatever. This is probably incorrect, because I doubt that early Christians, Jews, other Hebrew branches had the same modern day calendar system, or even the same time structure as they probably went by typical sun time. To me, it just seems like time really guides most of our lives.

This is just me pondering something, and probably over thinking it. But it's really interesting to me. If anyone reads this, you should tell me what you think about it or some shit. If I am completely wrong with the lot of this, you should also let me know. Because I have done absolutely no research or anything.
    [center:1o6efzo1]
    forum rules staff team forum search [/center:1o6efzo1]

Many people think of clocks as time, when really clocks just help us read time, based on a full earth rotation. Calendars help us read time based on a full revolution around the sun. Basically we define time by how far along one revolution around the sun we are, and hours by rotations. Then we might say that jupiter might have a 10 hour day, through earth days.
    [center:hn9zn80r][/center:hn9zn80r]

Veteran Enthusiast

Philosophically speaking, time is the measurement of change.

Fanatic Enthusiast

I never really thought about time that way, Crono. Kind-of mind boggling when you realize that most things revolve around time. We always think that "Oh man, this day is so long, I think I'm gonna die" when really, if the time that Earth was formed to present day was on a 24 hour clock, we humans would've only been alive for 35 (or so) seconds out of 24 hours. Things happened before us, and things will continue to happen after us.

Another interesting concept is that how the Mayans think they had time mastered. Truly, they didn't. Telling the time by the way that Earth rotates is not too reliable. I was watching a movie the other day at school, and the way that the winds on Earth push on the mountains can actually speed up or slow down the rotation by a few milliseconds. But once you think about it, it all adds up.

Another thing was one of the theories that they explained. It had something to do with spacetime, a combination of space and time. It said that large objects (The Earth) can actually warp and bend space time, as well as the objects on Earth. It said that everybody on Earth's time was different. Their seconds could be ticking at a different speed depending on their surroundings. (unless they were standing by each other) They tested this on a large-scale by sending some kind of beams (If you know about this, tell me what kind they sent, please.) to bounce off Mercury and come back to Earth. The thing is, that the beams would go by the sun on the way to bounce off Mercury. They explained that this was especially hard because the power that the beams would give off when they came back would be equivalent to the power that it would take for a fly to move a millimeter in a millennium. Anyways, they calculated the time it would take for the beam to reflect and get back, and that was the "control". They sent the beam, and to their surprise, it took extra time for the beam to get back. They concluded that as the beam flew by the Sun, the sun actually slowed down time because of it's sheer mass.

And please, tell me if I got any of this wrong, I'm sure that I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Memadman
    I never really thought about time that way, Crono. Kind-of mind boggling when you realize that most things revolve around time. We always think that "Oh man, this day is so long, I think I'm gonna die" when really, if the time that Earth was formed to present day was on a 24 hour clock, we humans would've only been alive for 35 (or so) seconds out of 24 hours. Things happened before us, and things will continue to happen after us.

Another interesting concept is that how the Mayans think they had time mastered. Truly, they didn't. Telling the time by the way that Earth rotates is not too reliable. I was watching a movie the other day at school, and the way that the winds on Earth push on the mountains can actually speed up or slow down the rotation by a few milliseconds. But once you think about it, it all adds up.

Another thing was one of the theories that they explained. It had something to do with spacetime, a combination of space and time. It said that large objects (The Earth) can actually warp and bend space time, as well as the objects on Earth. It said that everybody on Earth's time was different. Their seconds could be ticking at a different speed depending on their surroundings. (unless they were standing by each other) They tested this on a large-scale by sending some kind of beams (If you know about this, tell me what kind they sent, please.) to bounce off Mercury and come back to Earth. The thing is, that the beams would go by the sun on the way to bounce off Mercury. They explained that this was especially hard because the power that the beams would give off when they came back would be equivalent to the power that it would take for a fly to move a millimeter in a millennium. Anyways, they calculated the time it would take for the beam to reflect and get back, and that was the "control". They sent the beam, and to their surprise, it took extra time for the beam to get back. They concluded that as the beam flew by the Sun, the sun actually slowed down time because of it's sheer mass.

And please, tell me if I got any of this wrong, I'm sure that I did.
    The last paragraph isn't wrong or right, it's just a theory, other than that, you're right.
    [center:1amcj0nt]
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue .
    Im 13

Psudo and Doxin, your avatars annoy the hell outta me..Idk who the dude is but you look like your getting analed by those little cucumbers that sing songs for kids. Sorry im an ass.
    [/center:1amcj0nt]
    [center:1amcj0nt]LOL[/center:1amcj0nt]

Hm. My opinion on the subject is this:

Time is not what most of you think it is. Its like temperature, if you compare it to heat. To me, time is just a way of measuring how long or short things are (obviously not length, though.).

Fanatic Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Crono
    I had this weird idea that time is a common 'god' among humanity. I will use Christianity as an example. The Bible said 'god' created the earth in seven days, and made a big deal out of that folktale. Christians also worship on Sundays, and on other days of the week, depending on the branch of Christianity they are. All of this revolves around time. I just get the idea that a large portion of the Bible revolves around time, and that shit is planned that way. So, basically what I am getting at is time represents 'god', or 'gods', whatever. This is probably incorrect, because I doubt that early Christians, Jews, other Hebrew branches had the same modern day calendar system, or even the same time structure as they probably went by typical sun time. To me, it just seems like time really guides most of our lives.
    Sorry about being off topic, but this brought up another thought about Christianity and
    God.

It also says in the bible that God has always been there, there was no beginning. He
    has just always been in there. That shit makes my head hurt D:<

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy The Hippie

It also says in the bible that God has always been there, there was no beginning. He
    Excactly. That's one of the many reasons why I'm Atheist.
    [center:1amcj0nt]
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue .
    Im 13

Psudo and Doxin, your avatars annoy the hell outta me..Idk who the dude is but you look like your getting analed by those little cucumbers that sing songs for kids. Sorry im an ass.
    [/center:1amcj0nt]
    [center:1amcj0nt]LOL[/center:1amcj0nt]

Devoted Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy The Hippie

Excactly. That's one of the many reasons why I'm Atheist.
    Wait, that doesn't make any sense. You're willing to become an Atheist because the Bible states that God always was, and always has been, and that makes your head hurt? Is it because you can't comprehend it, or that you think it's stupid and doesn't make sense?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast