Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NASA blowing up the Moon

http://www.disinfo.com/2009/10/watch...oon-this-week/

What the fuck. Are these people serious? The video is fake, obviously, but it seems like there are many other articles about it.
    [center:1amcj0nt]
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue .
    Im 13

Psudo and Doxin, your avatars annoy the hell outta me..Idk who the dude is but you look like your getting analed by those little cucumbers that sing songs for kids. Sorry im an ass.
    [/center:1amcj0nt]
    [center:1amcj0nt]LOL[/center:1amcj0nt]

Enthusiast

He was a young boy in pursuit of money and fame..

Re: NASA blowing up the Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch
    http://www.disinfo.com/2009/10/watch...oon-this-week/

What the fuck. Are these people serious? The video is fake, obviously, but it seems like there are many other articles about it.
    Haha, that was a comedy, silly willy.

Seriously, that guy speaking in the beginning was an actor.
    No debate in here I guess.

E: Graahh, you edited.
    The articles are probably fake.
    Seriously tough, if they blow up the moon, we'd be fucked by the sun.
    [center:10ra76zf][/center:10ra76zf]

there's already a thread about this...;-;

Really? 'Cause when I shearched it, nothing came up...
    Im 13

Psudo and Doxin, your avatars annoy the hell outta me..Idk who the dude is but you look like your getting analed by those little cucumbers that sing songs for kids. Sorry im an ass.

It's posted on the VIP chat so this one can be kept here, however they're not blowing the entire moon... just making a hole into one of the craters by crashing a spaceship into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xemozu
    It's posted on the VIP chat so this one can be kept here, however they're not blowing the entire moon... just making a hole into one of the craters by crashing a spaceship into it.
    Why? It makes no sense.
    Im 13

They think they might be able to find water/ice on the interior. Look for it on google though, I don't know the whole story.

Fanatic Enthusiast

About NASA "blowing up the moon": Allow me to shed a little insight as to what's gonna go down tomorrow at around 7:30am, EDT. (I'm privy to a lot of this since my fiance works at NASA, but proper information has been going around news stations as well, so I figured I could share what I know!)

Long story short: They are not "blowing up the moon." Rather, what they are doing is taking the LCROSS, which is a satellite made to sense the crater and what is in it, and launching from it a small impactor, called Centaur. Centaur will enter a crater that is permanently shadowed from the sun's rays, which leads scientists to believe that there may be frozen lunar water within the crater. (There has been recent study that shows that the Moon's "soil" may actually contain water, and they're trying to confirm this once and for all.) After it takes out a chunk of the Moon and creates a plume of debris, the LCROSS will enter the plume and take readings to determine whether or not this is the case. If water exists on the moon, it could mean significant implications as to human-space exploration and the possibility of existence (or former existence) of water on other planets.

Let's make this clear, though: First, the Moon is impacted by asteroids and other space debris at least a few times per month. The craters that result from those are minimal compared to the impact that is to be made by Centaur. Second, and to give perspective to the first point, Centaur is to make only a swimming pool-sized hole in an already existing crater.

As Bill Nye (yes, the Science Guy -- talk about a blast from the past!) said on CNN earlier, the impact of Centaur will have absolutely no effect on the Moon's rotation, our tides, or anything else for that matter. As he pointed out, and to solidify my previous two points, the Moon is a much bigger object than we perceive. Sure, it's smaller than our Earth, but it's not tiny by any means! Check out any comparison illustration through Google. I'll give you a second.

Imagine a teeeeeeeeny, tiny rocket entering one of those craters and essentially making a lot of space dust. The impact is negligible when compared to how big the Moon really is!

So while I'm all for taking care of what the gods have provided as far as the planet on which we live and its moon, as well as all celestial bodies in the universe and beyond, we have to step back and look at this objectively. It won't do anything, it will be great for scientific research and advancement (which we've been lacking for years), and when I think of it from a pseudo-selfish standpoint, it's keeping my fiance and other rocket scientists employed in a time where canceling the manned rockets may put thousands out of work.

Anyway, if you're interested in what all is going to happen tomorrow, I urge you to check out NASA's page on LCROSS. It's actually very fascinating.
    Seriously, read the comments first.

Quote Originally Posted by Xemozu
    It's posted on the VIP
    oh... i dont really pay attention to where topics are anymore...

Enthusiast

I heard about this on the news. They basically can't be bothered to dig a hole in the moon. This is what they're doing:
    1. Launching a missle into a creator.
    2. Then a spaceship comes in and looks at all the partials.
    3. It then sends off the information.
    4. Then crashes into the moon itself.

Pretty simple really.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast