Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The BNP Party

Veteran Enthusiast

The BNP Party

What is everyone's opinions on the BNP?

I'm really shocked that our country can allow such a political party in our day and age. They're basically being the new Nazi's, with their racial views and how they are saying all people who are not white british doesn't not belong in this country. There are so many shocking views these people have, that should have been destroyed once the nazi party was disbanded when World War 2 was won.

...........[img]http://**********.com/img/1215620802.jpg[/img]
    LAZYTOWN FOR THE WIN!
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlucario
    Um... Can you please stop calling Kankuro a clown? It's hurting my feelings

Devoted Veteran

Re: The BNP Party

Some people on Facebook were just debating this, something to do with them being on Question Time? Anyway, from what I know, comparing them to the Nazis is a bit extreme, they don't kill people.

But this isn't my kind of debate, I don't follow politics.

Veteran Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    Some people on Facebook were just debating this, something to do with them being on Question Time? Anyway, from what I know, comparing them to the Nazis is a bit extreme, they don't kill people.
    Nazism wasn't all about killing people, it was about racial supremacy where they believed one race was better then any others and all others were inferior and soon were removed.

...........[img]http://**********.com/img/1215620802.jpg[/img]
    LAZYTOWN FOR THE WIN!
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlucario
    Um... Can you please stop calling Kankuro a clown? It's hurting my feelings

Devoted Veteran

Similar beliefs =/= fair comparison.

Whether we like it or not, the basis of free speech is such that we have to allow it. We can set up laws that prevent the prevention of others' rights to exercise the same right, but we cannot forbid the ideals which brought them about.

In short, we can't let them kill people, but we can let them believe in some sort of superiority. We may not enjoy it, but we don't have a choice if we're to uphold the ideals of what we see as a just society. A political party must work within the bounds of a given government. They cannot exceed this government, nor can they alter it in any way which the populous sees as unjust. Hence, this party's existence poses no threat, and has every right to exist.
    SA$_/AI%20has log[d in.
    > S&ys|BT
    > P_s word?
    > OMEGA
    >> A^e_%20_u su!e? (Y/N)
    > Y
    >> S##t m_ Rebooting. Hello, Samuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack

But this isn't my kind of debate, I don't follow politics.
    Nazism wasn't at all about killing people, that only followed after they gained immense power. The rise of Naism was remarkably similar, hell, identical, to how the BNP is gaining power now. They play into social and cultural fears of minorities, expressing radical and often hate-filled views on them. As such they gain followers, since many share those fears, and rise to power. Nazism only really went down the killing-road long after they had rose to power.

That's the scary thing, what the BNP is doing is exactly like what the Nazi's did during their rise to power. And the Nazi's proved that normal, rational people could be lulled into this kind of ideology and be driven to do horrible things. Racial segregation and the sort. The fact we've aparently not learned anything from it is disconcerting. And if you think you're not succeptable to it, or that our society has progressed beyond that kind of influence, you're vastly overestimating the state of society.

I do believe in free speech and I don't seek to ban the BNP. In fact I'm opposed to the recent surge of anti-blasphemy and anti-hate speech laws being passed all over Europe. What I do believe in is education. The more these kinds of parties babble on about superiority, the more we ought to teach people that such rethoric is bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenomorph
    A political party must work within the bounds of a given government. They cannot exceed this government, nor can they alter it in any way which the populous sees as unjust. Hence, this party's existence poses no threat, and has every right to exist.
    That's a little naive. Again, if we look at the rise of the Nai party, the exact same thing could be said. The Nazi party rose to power in a democracy. After they rose to power, Hitler basically staged a coup and altered the policies regarding government, enstating himself as the Fuhrer of Germany, a title that previously did not exist.

In closing, I'm not saying the BNP are all Nazi's or that they are bound to devolve into Nazism. However the similarities are striking and the potential is there. As such I'd definitely caution the British about the BNP's beliefs and to keep an eye on the situation before it spirals out of control.

Am I the only one who payed attention in history class?

That's my point, though, Damon. Hitler staged a coup, and altered the basis of the government. I'm simply providing the scenario in which one couldn't do that. It's like comparing a rebellion to an election; they're two fundamentally different things.

I'm not doubting for a moment that it's perfectly likely that a people can change the very ideologies that they once believed simply in order to accommodate a new system. It's what happened in Germany, it could easily happen again, and some could argue that it is in many a case.

But the act of banning this because it's different and could cause problems is such that we cannot do so without being called hypocritical. If we refute the party, and in doing so say that we are, essentially, the superior-thinking individuals, aren't we following the same basic ideals as those we try to shun? It's not that I support them, believe me, I don't. But I support their right to support themselves. If they want to believe that one race is superior, it's their own right to do so. And hell, if they somehow convince a majority of the people that they are correct, then that's their own prerogative. Right and wrong are two incredibly subjective things, you have to remember.

Not that I'd trust the majority to make my decisions of right and wrong for me, mind you. The majority I know are completely idiotic and uninformed; hence, not the best moral compass.

But, my point stands. One cannot disallow something they see as wrong, unless by it's very being, it proves to inherently disallow the exercising of freedom and choice of another. We can't outlaw the ideals which comprise the party. We can outlaw the actions in which they exercise these ideals. Again, don't misconstrue what I'm saying as what will actually happen. The world isn't ideal, and I'm providing a completely ideal scenario. But if one is to uphold some sense of dignity and even the notion of morals, one must look to these ideal scenarios for guidance, and act in accordance to the actual situation.

Long story short, they're within their rights to believe what they wish to believe. And they can run for whatever they'd like. If their opinion is popular enough, it could be voted in, and if they gain control, they will shape policy as they will. This is a perfectly possible scenario. But we cannot ban the belief without opening the floodgates to what we'll ban next because we see it as wrong.
    SA$_/AI%20has log[d in.
    > S&ys|BT
    > P_s word?
    > OMEGA
    >> A^e_%20_u su!e? (Y/N)
    > Y
    >> S##t m_ Rebooting. Hello, Samuel.

Veteran Enthusiast

I think I'll stick with what good old Voltaire said on this one.

Pat

BNP are idiots, ignore them

just some rasicst fags hate them all.
    [center:313vnxms]DarkIce -> Kultivate -> Xehanort > Ruben -> DarkIce -> ULTRA1337piv0tz[/center:313vnxms]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast