Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Time theories, anyone? (no-religion thread)

Anyone have a theory on how time works, or know of one that you can believe relatively well/understand well? Time's a really abstract concept so it'll be interesting to hear everyone's ideas about it.

p.s. no copy-pasting please unless it's in your own words (from something you posted on another forum, for instance), put other stuff in your own words. Or quote it (in that case, link to where you got it please).

Enthusiast

What i dont understand is why there is 60 seconds, instead of 100....it would be more logical if there was 100s as theres 100%, 100 mm, So on so forth, so what made someone come up with 60s instead of 100?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    What i dont understand is why there is 60 seconds, instead of 100....it would be more logical if there was 100s as theres 100%, 100 mm, So on so forth, so what made someone come up with 60s instead of 100?
    Haha well humans made that up. Maybe they couldn't get it divided correctly using any other more logical numbers.

And I think SD means the whole concept of time and what it is. Or why it is. I don't have the slightest idea what and why time is.

Click here to find my latest old Pivot animations.
    Click here to find my good old Pivot animations.

Yeah fyreal has the idea, what do you define time as being? As in, what controls it, how does it "flow", does it flow at all or is that a human concept, can it be measured/sectioned off (another human concept),is it constant, etc. That stuff.

But the 60 seconds thing is a good question - my guess is it's just what some king wanted to do to say, "I'm so awesome I'll make measurements illogical. And I'll invent the 'hogshead', whatever the heck THAT is!" Like a sphinx for some british king guy.

Enthusiast

I know I just wanted that seein too, as ive pondered this for a month or so.....But the concept of time could be the passing over and re-birth? Maybe thats what kicked time of, something dies and another is reborn, But if that is the case....something would have to have been there for the first place, and would time, have been there....Hmmm theres something to think about ) And maybe time is a Human concept made up, But It realistically could be what i just said XD, Also....Time As we know it is basically just the earth rotating round the sun, to give us...diffrent points at which, the sun hits where ever you are, Maybe the earth spins .000000060 mm Or something at a time, Giving us the 60s rule...... Hmm

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    k lol how many seconds are in a day? lets calculate

60 seconds X 60 = Seconds in an hour = 3600

3600 X 24 hours = Seconds in a day = 86400

So lets see if it was all 100 k?

100 seconds x 100 (minutes per hour) = 10000

10000 X 24 hours = 240000

so right now i got 240000 seconds if we make it all 100

_______

So the difference between your 100time and the real 60time is 153600 seconds

But if we divide the total seconds in the 100time and the total seconds in 60time then u will get 2.7 (repeating)

so if it WAS 100time (which u say is more logical) EACH day (Night - Day - Night) would only be 12 hours (or so).
    so there wouldnt be a morning or after noon. no pm or am. just a 1-12 (or so)

I'm pretty sure your logic's waaaaaay off there monkow. You already accounted for a 24 hour day at 100 seconds, and later said there'd only be a 12 hour day, I dunno. The second could be of different length, other stuff you didn't specify. . . eh.

Well I'm going with something I just heard about recently on the time idea. Time is actually determined by increasing entropy in the universe - increasing disorganization. In this sense, things will normally go from states of high organization to low organization, and that's time's flow. (comparison - ice cubes can melt, but not unmelt.)

There are statistical flukes (random ones) that act as ways around that limitation (time's arrow being in the direction of increasing disorder), as usual, but I'm not going to go through all the explaining.

SA
    Enthusiast

Imo, time as we know it is completely manmade. What do we associate time with? Seconds, minutes, hours, clocks, watches, ect.
    However, there may be something there that explains why everything moves along as it does, a 4th dimension perhaps that we don't yet understand, but labelling the *Time* is man's doing. Perhaps there is no *time* and we just use our creation to organise our lives. No-one can justify the existance of time.

Yea actually, the measurements we picked for time are totally arbitrary, given that we're in motion. Objects in motion, according to relativity, have different concepts of time from those not moving or those at different speeds. Actually, seconds on mars (or any other planet, for that matter) would be different than our seconds because jupiter orbits at a different speed. Speed and time supposedly have an inverse relationship.

Enthusiast

Time to me is just a math pattern to help the human race organize when they have to go to work, go to sleep etc.

But i can't forget about Einstein's theory that the faster you move, the slower time moves around you which basiclly says that time is more than just a math pattern, it's very complicated, in-depth stuff.
    Brent says:
    ohhh babyyyyy
    Brent says:
    immm backkkkkk
    Darren says:
    *wipes it off*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast