Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Negative Publicity

You know how certain actors will get together, and all the magazines think it's big news and give you week-by-week updates on their relationship?

EG: Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes, Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie, Robert Pattinson & Kristen Stewart, just to mention a few of the hundreds.

Well, I've been thinking alot lately about these relationships between actors, and it seems like they get quite a bit of publicity from it. In fact, the checkout magazines seem to completely center around this kind of gossip. Whether it's negative or positive, the celebrities get alot of attention from these relationships. More so than the actual movies or shows they play in.

When they get together it's big news, when they are seen in public its big news, when they break up it's huge news, and when they get back together it's huge news.

What if these celebrities are just milking the system? What if they simply get together because of the publicity? That's easy to fathom, most of these people are rotten, selfish brats who will do whatever it takes to get attention and money.

But what about negative publicity? When Tom Cruise threw a fit on Oprah, jumping on the couches and whatnot, it was big news. And although it was bad for him, he got alot of publicity for it.

When Rosie O' Donnell's daugher got a sex change, it was embarrassing and bad, but it got her and her daughter on the front pages of magazines.

When Brittany Spears was a "bad mommy" and held her baby while driving, she got arrested and fined, but again, it was on the front page. And now the famous Twilight couple keep breaking up and getting back together again, staying on ALL the freaking front covers.

You see what I'm talking about? These people get on the front page more if they do bad things than if they do good. I know it's crazy, but it's true. If you don't believe me, just go to Vons or Ralphs or Albertsons or WallMart or any of those stores, at the checkout stands you'll see nothing but celebrity breakups and misdeeds.

It's seriously an epidemic.

And I know this sounds crazy, but think of Michael Jackson. That dude got so much more air-time and magazine covers for being a creep than he did as a pop singer. And when he died, it was the biggest subject: do you think Michael was a creep or not?

Ray and Cash died not too long ago, and most people were sad about it, but soon forgot about the whole thing. While Michael's documentary "This Is It" sold out just about as soon as it was released. Even though Michael Jackson was found innocent of molestation and whatnot, nobody has forgotten about it. And the tickets for his "comeback" tour where completely sold out.

So I hope you start looking for the signs of negative publicy, because I know I sure have been.

Re: Negative Publicity

No real debate here, more of a huge rant. But yes they are milking the system, it wouldnt surprise me if celebreties are working with the magazines.

Devoted Veteran

This was actually a big theory behind the whole Kanye West and Taylor Swift thing. Taylor Swift and Kanye both got a piss load more popular from it, indirectly raising their sales as well.

I'm usually skeptical about these sorts of things but I think it's definitely a possibility.
    [center:2mwkv12p][/center:2mwkv12p]

Dedicated Member

Yeah, that definitely makes sense now that you mention it. With Kanye and Taylor, though, it seems like it was different. It brought Taylor Swift's popualrity way up whereas everyone's opinion of Kanye went down the drain. Even if it did boost record sales, it took a chunk out of his reputation.

Sane thing with Chris Brown and Rihanna. A shit load of negative publicity on Chris' part, but it seemed like RIhanna got a lot more famous out of the event. Idk what point I'm trying to make, just kinda building on to what you guys said.
    [center:1omt0ts6][/center:1omt0ts6]

It's very very unfair to classify all celebreties as media-mooching pigs. Some actors may get a bit fame-drunk, but you seem to forget that others can just be there to make a living off of their passion.

There are honest actors out there, a lot of them. That said, there are also half-talented unintelligent media drones, yes.

PS. I seem to have mentioned acting a lot in this post, unsure why. It applies to most things, acting, music, what have you.
    [center:13w2rfcr]My Thread (updated 26/1/11!)[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr][/center:13w2rfcr] [center:13w2rfcr]Skype: lucienpicto[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr]Steam: _picto[/center:13w2rfcr]
    Quote Originally Posted by StargateSG
    But tell me, what is homo love?

Quote Originally Posted by Picto
    It's very very unfair to classify all celebreties as media-mooching pigs. Some actors may get a bit fame-drunk, but you seem to forget that others can just be there to make a living off of their passion.

There are honest actors out there, a lot of them. That said, there are also half-talented unintelligent media drones, yes.

PS. I seem to have mentioned acting a lot in this post, unsure why. It applies to most things, acting, music, what have you.

well the thing is picto, is how do they get famous if they are half-talented? They are all clever enough to become famous, any negative publicity is probably a hoax to attract attention.
    my thread. / Lovely Art <3 / DD ranks

You can pm me for a comment on your thread.
    I'm always up for a good joint.

Veteran Enthusiast LeadingManNigel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shell
    Quote Originally Posted by Picto

well the thing is picto, is how do they get famous if they are half-talented? They are all clever enough to become famous, any negative publicity is probably a hoax to attract attention.
    You don't have to be talented to get into a reality show which can easily net millions of viewers per day.

Veteran Enthusiast

Exactly, look at celebrities like Jade Goodie.

Supermodelling arguably takes no talent, yet celebrities like Katie Price earn mega bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera

Supermodelling arguably takes no talent, yet celebrities like Katie Price earn mega bucks.
    ah. a good point. well, my arguing is screwed.
    my thread. / Lovely Art <3 / DD ranks

You can pm me for a comment on your thread.
    I'm always up for a good joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera

And Megan Fox cant act, but she's like, the hottest girl in the world.