Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lunar Republic Princess Luna's Avatar

Limits to our technology?

Just wondering. Will we continue to invent more and more devices? Or will there eventually be nothing else to invent? What I mean is... We can only make so many things with the ressources we can grasp. And besides, all the ressources could run out.

I was just thinking about this.

Spoiler:
    Late-2006 - Started using Pivot.
    6 Apr/2010 - Became intermediate by winning the Best Beginner on DarkDemon contest.
    12 Aug/2011 - Returned to Beginner rank.
    20 Oct/2012 - Returned to DarkDemon.

Re: Limits to our technology?

At a technical standpoint, there will be an end to inventions. Resources will run out and we'll be like "well our mountains are hovering and our asses wipe themselves, what now?". But thinking about it rationally, you can imagine there is so much more to be found. Nature itself will continue to evolve and give us new elements to work with, allowing for new inventions. Not to mention we will find ways to create new elements to work with when nature doesn't work as fast as we'd like.

Technology works by elements interacting with other elements in pursuit of the proper reaction. We will always be able to create new combinations and invent new tools. So no, there will be no limit to technology, other than the limit at which it can run: Speed of light.
    [center:15cesajl]I'm gone, but I loved my time here. Thank you all for being such a great community![/center:15cesajl]

Fanatic Enthusiast

The day that invention of new technology is waaaaaaaaayyy far away. Like 300+ generations from now. It'll happen but it will essentially be the end of the world. IMO at least.

Speaking in technical terms, there is no limit to the amount of things we could invent.
    [center:hn9zn80r][/center:hn9zn80r]

the limit will be a power source for these things. not the inventions themselves.

ie "floating a mountain"

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Emperor
    Resources will run out and we'll be like "well our mountains are hovering and our asses wipe themselves, what now?".
    well that's already been done Dark Emperor.

"hanging gardens of babylon"
    my thread. / Lovely Art <3 / DD ranks

You can pm me for a comment on your thread.
    I'm always up for a good joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Shell
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Emperor
    Resources will run out and we'll be like "well our mountains are hovering and our asses wipe themselves, what now?".
    well that's already been done Dark Emperor.

"hanging gardens of babylon"
    Those aren't mountains.

Advances in technology will keep occurring for generations to come, methinks.
    [center:1o6efzo1]
    forum rules staff team forum search [/center:1o6efzo1]

I have to agree, technology will keep growing and changing for many generations, if not until the end of humanity. We even find ways to manipulate the environment to work faster, in dubai they are speeding up the process of coral reefs forming by ten percent, I can't remember how, but I saw a documentary on it, their making it for the Palm tree islands, to attract scuba divers.
    Slubberdegullion = Pivotelite.

Devoted Veteran

Well, to answer that there is a bit of a bigger question that comes to mind, and that is whether or not one could reach absolute perfection in something. To reach an absolute technological limit, you would have to reach an absolute technological perfection. I don't believe this will ever happen, even in the most ideal circumstances. There will always be factors changing in environments and priorities that will call in a need (or at least a WANT) for bigger and better things. In a way, for us to have reached the limits of technology we would need to perfect every appliance we have ever made or even thought of to reach maximum potential. Even perfecting ONE item would be difficult. Take a toaster for example. Even the best one could always be made lighter, smaller, work better, work faster, etc etc. And that's just a toaster.

Maybe in theory, yes, we could... but realistically, no.
    [center:2mwkv12p][/center:2mwkv12p]

they can't run out! (buhahahahhaha) we are the powerfullestest(estestestesetsetsetsetestestset....) and smartest people there are ( aren't we)
    [center:3uz96iow][/center:3uz96iow]
    [center:3uz96iow]Youtube[/center:3uz96iow]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast