Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

David Nutt Controversy

Well, as some of you may or may not know, David Nutt (the governments chief drugs adviser) was sacked a while back by the home secretary, for claims that ecstasy and LSD were less dangerous than alcohol. "Nutt incurred the wrath of the government when he claimed in a paper that alcohol and tobacco were more harmful than many illegal drugs, including LSD, ecstasy and cannabis."

Your thoughts on this?

Re: David Nutt Controversy

Well I know for a fact ecstasy can kill on first dose, so no it's not less dangerous than Alcohol. And LSD has been known to influence people to commit suicide, but then so can alcohol.

But yeah he's an idiot for including ecstasy in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Well I know for a fact ecstasy can kill on first dose, so no it's not less dangerous than Alcohol. And LSD has been known to influence people to commit suicide, but then so can alcohol.

Actually, XTC isn't that dangerous. The active chemical in XTC, MDMA, is actually a substance found in your own body. It regulates the release of serotonine in the brain, the chemical that makes you feel good.

You have a reservoir of serotonine in your brain. Usually a little serotonine is excreted over time. MDMA is a signal protein that triggers the release of serotonine. The large amount of MDMA found in XTC pills causes the hypothalamus to release nearly all of it's serotonine at once, making you feel extremely good (ecstatic, hence XTC). That's why taking more than two pills of XTC won't do anything for you, you have no more serotonine left to release into the bloodstream, you've depleted it all.

The real danger with XTC comes from dehydration. XTC makes you feel so good, that it overrides other parts of the brain. You don't feel the need to rest while dancing, you don't get thirsty, so you get dehydrated. This is the real killer. Also, if you dance for an extended period of time, then sit down and drink a pint of water, that can also kill you. That amount of water can intoxicate the brain. As a result thiand as a result causes the brain to swell and in a nutshell it crushes the brain stem and that cause's death in seconds causes the brain to swell, and crush the brain stem. This causes death in seconds.

Another danger comes from the fact that XTC pills aren't 100% MDMA. The active chemicals are cut with other substances. If you buy pills from the wrong people, the chemicals used to cut the MDMA can be dangerous and kill you. If you buy your pills from a good dealer, you'll be just fine.

XTC does not cause you to kill yourself. You're way too happy to even consider that while you're on XTC. The problem is afterwards. Because you only have a set amount of serotonine in your hypothalamus, and you're using it all up when you take XTC, after the serotonine disappears from the bloodstream your brain can't secrete more. This is what happens in people suffering from depression, their hypothalamus doesn't excrete any or too little serotonine. Ergo, after you come down from the XTC high, you'll feel extremely groggy and depressed. If you were depressed or suicidal before you took XTC, this could cause you to very well take that step. It's not so much the XTC that kills you, but the depression after.

Taking XTC is, of course, not entirely harmless. I'm not saying it is. However if you don't take more than four pills a year with at least two months (I've heard one month before, but I'm playing it safe here) in between for your hypothalamus to restock on serotonine, you will be just fine.
    I'm not just pulling this out of my ass, this has even been in an article in a serious newspaper. XTC isn't the evil it's made out to be. If you look after yourself you'll be fine.

As for the David Nutt controversy, I find it rather jarring. The man has a pretty good point, alcohol is a lot more dangerous than many of the illegal drugs. Of course, since the government is still hell-bent on demonizing them it was to be expected that he'd get sacked. But still, I find it encouraging and admirable that such a high-ranking individual would recognize this fact and dare to open his mouth about it.
    It's only a matter of time before the rest of the world comes to it's senses, should this trend continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Damon
    Quote Originally Posted by Skype

Actually, XTC isn't that dangerous. The active chemical in XTC, MDMA, is actually a substance found in your own body. It regulates the release of serotonine in the brain, the chemical that makes you feel good.

You have a reservoir of serotonine in your brain. Usually a little serotonine is excreted over time. MDMA is a signal protein that triggers the release of serotonine. The large amount of MDMA found in XTC pills causes the hypothalamus to release nearly all of it's serotonine at once, making you feel extremely good (ecstatic, hence XTC). That's why taking more than two pills of XTC won't do anything for you, you have no more serotonine left to release into the bloodstream, you've depleted it all.

The real danger with XTC comes from dehydration. XTC makes you feel so good, that it overrides other parts of the brain. You don't feel the need to rest while dancing, you don't get thirsty, so you get dehydrated. This is the real killer. Also, if you dance for an extended period of time, then sit down and drink a pint of water, that can also kill you. That amount of water can intoxicate the brain. As a result thiand as a result causes the brain to swell and in a nutshell it crushes the brain stem and that cause's death in seconds causes the brain to swell, and crush the brain stem. This causes death in seconds.

Another danger comes from the fact that XTC pills aren't 100% MDMA. The active chemicals are cut with other substances. If you buy pills from the wrong people, the chemicals used to cut the MDMA can be dangerous and kill you. If you buy your pills from a good dealer, you'll be just fine.

XTC does not cause you to kill yourself. You're way too happy to even consider that while you're on XTC. The problem is afterwards. Because you only have a set amount of serotonine in your hypothalamus, and you're using it all up when you take XTC, after the serotonine disappears from the bloodstream your brain can't secrete more. This is what happens in people suffering from depression, their hypothalamus doesn't excrete any or too little serotonine. Ergo, after you come down from the XTC high, you'll feel extremely groggy and depressed. If you were depressed or suicidal before you took XTC, this could cause you to very well take that step. It's not so much the XTC that kills you, but the depression after.

Taking XTC is, of course, not entirely harmless. I'm not saying it is. However if you don't take more than four pills a year with at least two months (I've heard one month before, but I'm playing it safe here) in between for your hypothalamus to restock on serotonine, you will be just fine.
    I'm not just pulling this out of my ass, this has even been in an article in a serious newspaper. XTC isn't the evil it's made out to be. If you look after yourself you'll be fine.

As for the David Nutt controversy, I find it rather jarring. The man has a pretty good point, alcohol is a lot more dangerous than many of the illegal drugs. Of course, since the government is still hell-bent on demonizing them it was to be expected that he'd get sacked. But still, I find it encouraging and admirable that such a high-ranking individual would recognize this fact and dare to open his mouth about it.
    It's only a matter of time before the rest of the world comes to it's senses, should this trend continue.
    You and your long speches.
    I think he shouldnt have been sacked

Click for my thread.^

He was removed from his position because he stated that alcohol is more deadly than LSD and ecstasy? If so, that's fucked up. The cannabis thing shouldn't even be thought of as inappropriate, it's obvious that alcohol is more harmful than pot. After reading Damon's post, I think him comparing ecstasy and alcohol is justifiable. Not sure about the LSD thing, though. LSD can really fuck you up in several different ways.

Overall, I don't think dude should have got sacked because his reasons for saying what he said were totally justifiable. Home Security is probably full of alcoholics.
    [center:1o6efzo1]
    forum rules staff team forum search [/center:1o6efzo1]

its stupid that he's comparing a drug you use as a refreshment and a drug that can make you commit suicide
    enough said
    [center:247z4vme][/center:247z4vme]

Veteran Enthusiast

Illegal drugs are safer than legal ones?! Oh no! I wonder why they don't ban alcohol, which results in thousands of deaths each year, as opposed to ecstasy, which kills far less.

Surely the fact that alcohol is taxable and a major source of income for the government has nothing to do with it?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dare
    its stupid that he's comparing a drug you use as a refreshment and a drug that can make you commit suicide
    enough said
    Yeah, no one's every got pissed before and killed themselves!

Hell, no one has ever died due to alchohol! Driving under the influence? Myth. Drunken brawls that result in murder? Pure fabrication!

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera
    Hell, no one has ever died due to alchohol! Driving under the influence? Myth. Drunken brawls that result in murder? Pure fabrication!
    Alcohol poisoning? No such thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Damon
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera
    Alcohol poisoning? No such thing!
    Getting drunk, having sex with a male hooker, getting AIDS and dying? Nah, not a chance.

... What?

ipwnall: lol