Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

No support from family

I wanna make cartoons and drawings. my dream in life is to be a cartoonist. And my parents think it's stupid, my computer crashed and they blame my cartoons. He'll every excuse they have to trash them they do. point is they don't support my goals and ideas. Discuss
    [center:15kh9l7l]
    Got Swift??[/center:15kh9l7l]

New Lunar Republic Princess Luna's Avatar

Re: No support from family

Quote Originally Posted by Swifty
    I wanna make cartoons and drawings. my dream in life is to be a cartoonist. And my parents think it's stupid, my computer crashed and they blame my cartoons. He'll every excuse they have to trash them they do. point is they don't support my goals and ideas. Discuss
    What!? Being a cartoonist would be awesome! Follow your dreams and don't listen to anything who disagrees with it. Honestly, what's so bad about being a cartoonist/cartoonist related job? I see nothing wrong with it. :\

Spoiler:
    Late-2006 - Started using Pivot.
    6 Apr/2010 - Became intermediate by winning the Best Beginner on DarkDemon contest.
    12 Aug/2011 - Returned to Beginner rank.
    20 Oct/2012 - Returned to DarkDemon.

Devoted Veteran

This isn't a debate; more of a personal issue-though I do see & understand your view in this. Sometimes when parents are ignorant to a subject, they'll just hate on it..At least that's how my folks are.

I have to agree with Predator on this.

Just do your own thing, go your own way.
    Who cares what your parents think?

Haha, yeah, my dad hates my interest in computer sciences, so I know what you mean. Just get good grades, be helpful, and they wont mind your aspirations so much.
    [center:2pvpf5qi]My Animations - New animation as of 11th/April[/center:2pvpf5qi]

Blaming your comics for a computer breakdown seems unreasonable. Image files will hardly ruin a computer. Your common surfing habits might have introduced viruses to the computer, though, so perhaps his accusations aren't entirely unfounded.

As for supporting you, seems to me like they're being reasonable. Being a cartoonist isn't a realistic career choice. A handful of people make it work. These are incredibly witty, funny people (at least to their audience) whose comics appeal to a large audience. Given that you can't even spell properly, I'm sure this is not the case for you. There's little money to be made as an unsuccessful cartoonist.
    Cartoonist isn't a career choice to begin with, it's more of a hobby turned job if you're lucky. I don't think I've ever heard of someone who became a cartoonist fresh out of highschool (then again I don't know a lot of cartoonists). It's more of a hobby besides your regular job which, if you're lucky, can really take off and replace your regular job altogether.

This is me being courteous.

This isn't even a debate. You're probably still young, so you're overreacting. Chill out, and wait til you're older to deal with shit like this. Eventually, you'll be able to do what you want without the support of your parents. [Given you're in the right situation]
    [center:1o6efzo1]
    forum rules staff team forum search [/center:1o6efzo1]