Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Does Everything Happen For A Reason?

Is it true?
    In my opinion, the saying "Everything Happens For A Reason" is another make up, to make yourself and others feel better about whats happened.
    I'd like to know what others think.

If you are a believer, think about this. There have been instances where people will rape, kill and murder young children and adults. What sense is there in this?
    [center:14k5nyi7][/center:14k5nyi7]
    [center:14k5nyi7]My PSN: DepartedProphecy[/center:14k5nyi7]

Re: Does Everything Happen For A Reason?

Well it's true, but not in the way you're thinking. If you get shot in the head by somebody, there was a reason for it: He/she wanted to steal from you, wanted to take revenge on you, or perhaps only wanted to have pleasure by pulling the trigger and aiming at your head.

If you're thinking somehow else about the meaning of that sentence then it's bullshit, and makes as much sense as "Do good and good things will happen to you."

Fanatic Enthusiast

Ya there is sort of a reason, everything happens for something maybe the person who was murdered was a jack arse.

lol.
    [center:15ayceb7][/center:15ayceb7]
    [center:15ayceb7]Hollywood Undead.[/center:15ayceb7]

Oh boy a person being philosophical. Everything that happens has a reason because something must've activated said happening. Such as a rock falling off a cliff. It could've given way so friction is the reason, etc etc. If you mean it happened for a SIGNIFICANT reason, then yea, you'd have a valid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Xemozu
    Well it's true, but not in the way you're thinking. If you get shot in the head by somebody, there was a reason for it: He/she wanted to steal from you, wanted to take revenge on you, or perhaps only wanted to have pleasure by pulling the trigger and aiming at your head.

If you're thinking somehow else about the meaning of that sentence then it's bullshit, and makes as much sense as "Do good and good things will happen to you."
    Not entirely. The universe isn't deterministic. There's some complicated equations that prove that even Newtonian physics aren't 100% deterministic, they have random elements to them.

An example would be a perfect sphere balanced on the uttermost tip of a perfectly uniform cone with perfectly uniform gravity acting upon it. It will tip over and roll down the cone in one direction, but the direction will be random. It is impossible to predetermine in which direction the sphere will roll off of the cone. As such not everything happens for a reason, some events are entirely random.

I understand that this is stretching the concept quite a bit, however given that you yourself kind of went in this direction I found it an interesting addition. Do with it what you will.

Veteran Enthusiast

Eh, I firmly believe in stuff like free will and Chaos Theory, but if you look at everything from a teleological standpoint there are bound to be patterns in seemingly chaotic places.

Quote Originally Posted by Damon
    An example would be a perfect sphere balanced on the uttermost tip of a perfectly uniform cone with perfectly uniform gravity acting upon it. It will tip over and roll down the cone in one direction, but the direction will be random. It is impossible to predetermine in which direction the sphere will roll off of the cone. As such not everything happens for a reason, some events are entirely random.

I understand that this is stretching the concept quite a bit, however given that you yourself kind of went in this direction I found it an interesting addition. Do with it what you will.
    Pretty interesting what you said, to be honest I thought it would stay in balance. But either way the answer to his main question doesn't change, within his reasoning/logic that statement is completely false.

Quote Originally Posted by Xemozu
    Pretty interesting what you said, to be honest I thought it would stay in balance.
    Which is where the complicated equations come in. Please spare me from having to look them up, interpret them again and then explain them. Please.

Yeah, if everything is in perfect balance, then the ball would stay balanced. If the ball was to fall, then something made it fall, therefor creating a reason for its fall (gravity or an imbalance).
    [center:hn9zn80r][/center:hn9zn80r]

Fly
    Enthusiast

I completely agree with Damon and couldnt of said it better. But you can inforce the ball to go a certain way by blowing on it or knocking it over. So in theory you mostly shape what happens in your life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast