Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A Revolution: The Ranking System

A Revolution is what we need
    the ranking system these days is fucked! No seriously you cant get anywhere above inter without being a staff member or one of there friends
    an animation should be ranked on entertainment not the moves and the effects in the animation
    ok so lets say
    we pickup some random from anywhere
    and then Crono makes a kick test that is about 30-40 frames
    and then we show them Berts Ob8 vs Wu11
    the person would obviously enjoy Berts animation more simply because of the length and epicness of that animation

dont get me wrong movements and fluidness do play a big part in an animation
    but if a newbie came to Darkdemon and created some very lengthy and epic animations
    but not fine tuned movements that is required to be a higher level than beginner

Quote Originally Posted by VenG
    Whatever happened to just making kickass animations?
    Styles ruin the concept of doing whatever the hell you want.
    i quote what veng said in the styles thread in pivot chat because i think that this is very important
    but to me styles can add improvement because if there where only one style animation would just be boring
    and at the moment the only style that moves you up in the ranks is that super realistic shit
    just because the main rank voters only enjoy that realistic style

so admins and rank staff ask your self do you think you are doing the right thing for pivot animation?
    and users if you agree with me please make this thread noticeable and post your thoughts

Veteran Enthusiast

Re: A Revolution

I agree completely, movements do need to be payed attention to. But it shouldn't be all about movements. Animation activness today has dropped a lot, mainly because of the ranks. Not saying the ranks aren't accurate, but they mostly focus on good movements. Once you become a good enough skill level, you should focus more on creativity, backgrounds, effects, length and detail. If you focus on all of those, of course the movements aren't going to be was good as if they are with simple white bg's, because there is a lot more stuff to pay attention to. But it still looks overall better.

Pivot today is about mastering the basics, but it's the complicated stuff that makes it awesome.
    So I agree with you Mitchezzzz.

Not saying my opinion is right, it's just what I personally think.

I do think the ranking system is pretty tight these days. I agree with you both.

Devoted Veteran

There are no set requirements for moving up a rank. It just has to be considered that rank by the people who are voting, and they all have their preferences. Say Skype and Crono were voting whether an animation is Veteran level, Skype might vote yes because he likes the length of the animation, and Crono might vote yes because he likes the movements of the animation. That's the entire point of the Rank Team and having a vote; so there is a wide variety of opinions to avoid a set-in-stone requirement, it's all based on what their opinions of the 'next level' is.

the ranking system these days is fucked! No seriously you cant get anywhere above inter without being a staff member or one of there friends
    And shut the fuck up, seriously. There's plenty of animators that are high rank who do not get along with staff members.

im pritty sure they have all quit now? and got that rank before those who rank now came to power

Devoted Veteran

So what is your argument? That you have to be friends with the staff in order to get a higher rank, or that the ranking system is messed up because they're basing the ranks on the wrong principles?

both of them :/

Devoted Veteran

Right well the staff bias thing is complete bollocks, and I already explained to you that your other argument is invalid because there isn't set requirements, it's all opinion based, and there are a lot of opinions available (staff and rank team). The Rank Team were picked for a reason.

yes i know but the rank team have a very similar expectation for animations
    they all seem to like the same quality for animations

so only one style works fore improving your rank

Veteran Enthusiast

Animation rank ups are very carefully observed by both the Staff and the Rank Team, both of whom are comprised of members with years of both Pivot and general animation experience, whilst it may be true that there are differences in preferences, no one person decides a rank up, and the process is as democratic and as fair as it can be.

In the most modest way I can, I ask you, the general members, who else should decide the quality of animation required for a specific rank? A well sized group of intelligent, respectful people, most of whom are known for fairness, most of whom with years (In some cases more than half a decade) of Pivot experience, most of whom have gone through the very process they are judging. Surely this group of people are best fit for the job?

This thread will remain open, as you are free to voice your opinions and offer suggestions, but the insinuation that rank ups are made or a purely personal basis is both libellous and stupid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast