Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Global Warming Theories (warning: possble debate)

Alrightey. In my recent poll on global warming, I found that over half (12/22 currently) of the votersbelieved that global warming is real and/or that it was caused by us. However, the other half has very different ideas about it.

So, debate: is global warming real, what caused it, how much do we contribute, is it our faults, anything like that.

Enthusiast

edit- Don't even read this, I don't make any sense.

Well, in school they are teaching us the it is real which will probably lead people to believing it is automatically true.
    I haven't done any research on it or anything. I haven't really thought about it much.
    But yeah, polluting and that crap is probably going to like kill us and stuff one day.
    But no time soon, so I don't really care
    But all of that stuff about the ozone layer being deteriated and everything, our society will obviously think of different ways to stop pollution and global warming and whatnot. But I don't think we can really stop it all together, we can just slow it down.
    [/isuckatphilosophiticalstuff]

Animations - Do not Click Me - And Me Neither
    You have good sight, or good ctrl+c, ctrl+v skills. Also your computer might be set to %500 magnification.

KTU
    Dedicated Member
    I believe the school system, at least in Edmonton, is very biased towards the theory that we caused global warming. I believe that we did contribute to it, but it's not all our fault. Anyone can tell you that the temperatures are higher than normal, but that's normal, it's just the cycle of the earth leading into an Ice Age. It goes like this:

1. Earth heats up (this could be caused by anything from tigers to... volcanoes?).
    2. Polar ice caps melt.
    3. All the fresh water from the ice caps disturbs the balance of ocean currents.
    4. Warm tropical ocean water is not being carried to the north anymore.
    5. Northern areas of the globe start to cool down because of less warm ocean water.
    6. Half of the northern hemisphere is completely frozen over.
    7. Viola(intended mispelling). Earth's 8th ice age.

This is just my theory, but the question is not if we have done it or not, but how fast we can act to save ourselves. It sounds almost exactly like The Day After Tomorrow, but I learned this stuff before the movie came out.
    Humans did contribute somewhat to it, but it's not all our fault. Although Brazilian Amazon farmers aren't helping with their slash-and-burn agriculture.

Anyway it happens, we're all screwed.
    [center:36nrfcqg][/center:36nrfcqg]

Quote Originally Posted by ~KTU~
    *all the stuff from his post*
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Completely agree with this viewpoint in every way.

now get out of my head >__>

Dedicated Member
    No it is mainly us, the smog is breaking the oozne layer which more UV rays get in and it gets hotter

SD would please ask you to reconsider posting again until you check your sources, know what actually goes on in the global warming theory, and SPELL properly. Thank you.

614th post on 2/24 2:14

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by PiviotFreak
    No it is mainly us, the smog is breaking the oozne layer which more UV rays get in and it gets hotter

SD would please ask you to reconsider posting again until you check your sources, know what actually goes on in the global warming theory, and SPELL properly. Thank you.
    ok KTU is right about the cycle believe it or not but i bet at somepoint the world will go into an ice age and that life repeats itself

but we are causing global warming as the only thing that is changing is the fact the ozone layer is gone that is letting the uv rays out its getting clogged up with are shit and the uv rays are staying in the earth

= out fault

-fp

Kinda ironic. On TV they just stated that scientists say that the Earth is now the hottest it's ever been...ever. Kinda scary when you think about it. All this heat is gonna melt all that ice down south and up north. It floods, blah blah blah. We all die. All because of us and our neglable ways. The only thing that I know of that causes breaks in the ozone layer is stuff like hair spray. I can't think of some more. Maybe cause it's late and I'm tired and I'm in the philosophy section...not a good combination.

KTU
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jynxie Cat
    Kinda ironic. On TV they just stated that scientists say that the Earth is now the hottest it's ever been...ever. Kinda scary when you think about it. All this heat is gonna melt all that ice down south and up north. It floods, blah blah blah. We all die. All because of us and our neglable ways. The only thing that I know of that causes breaks in the ozone layer is stuff like hair spray. I can't think of some more. Maybe cause it's late and I'm tired and I'm in the philosophy section...not a good combination.
    Actually, geologists have calculated that the ocean would only rise about 70m (210'), so it would definitely not flood the earth. A large amount of coastal cities would be screwed though, like Manhattan, Hong Kong, New Orleans( Which I have just been informed is in fact a tent city), Vancouver, etc. The interior cities would be safe from any harm flooding would do. The floodwater would then freeze over (see my above post) and cause massive ice sheets to form over these cities (again, Day After Tomorrow anybody?).

SD laughs at your categorization of New Orleans as a "city."
    So New Orleans isn't a city? :\
    SD would like to remind KTU that people are still living in tents down there, from katrina (still). :P
    SX, so its a tent city then :P its still a city but with loads of tents
    wtf edit party on my post :0
    I am the ghost of a staff member. . . that's why I type in this creepy unreadable shade of white
    boo?

onoez a ghost!!

The increase in water would also amount to more evaporation, thus more precipitation, ultimately resulting in tropical storms such as hurricanes, typhoons, etc.

Dedicated Member
    So in the past the ice caps melted thus cooling the north and since the water is cold it freezes agian and forms the ice caps, is that what ur saying.

614th post on 2/24 2:14

KTU
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PiviotFreak
    So in the past the ice caps melted thus cooling the north and since the water is cold it freezes agian and forms the ice caps, is that what ur saying.
    Nono, it's complicated stuff, but when all that fresh water is dumped into the ocean, since it is less dense than the ocean's salt water, it forces it down to make room for itself, thus disrupting the balance of Atlantic and Pacific ocean currents. To understand, you have to know a little about currents.

Ocean currents are the life force which keep coastal cities and places warm during the winter, and cool during the summer. Since the Atlantic current (I forgot the official name)(SD sez that's the gulf stream) runs all the way from the equator to places like New York, then cross-Atlantic into Europe, it carries warm tropical water with it. If something were to disrupt this current, say, millions of gallons of freshly melted polar ice cap water, then warm water is stopped from being transoprted to northern areas around the globe, thus, dropping the temerpature considerable amounts, enough to freeze over the flooded areas cause by the meltwater, to create massive ice sheets, which basically means the 8th ice age.

Ironically, this current disruption keeps all the heat from escaping tropical areas such as Mexico, Guyana, places near enough to the equator to never see snow. These places will continue to heat up until it fries everything within that area.

So basically, North cools down, South heats up. Comprende?

SD Likes to edit my posts. :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast