Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WORDS

WORDS

well,I often wonder why words are what they are, like the word Forum. Who came up with them all, and who came up with the meanings? Lol who took the time to write the dictionary? How long of a time was the dictionary created over? Lol who keeps coming up with words? How can our brains remember them all, man there are a lot of them think about it,seriously wtf is up with words? :_)

Edited for, Smashdood = ) lol and it wasnt just copied and pasted. ))(*
    [center:161o6f51]LET'S BREAK OUT THE SHOTGUNS WE'RE GOING TO TOWN![/center:161o6f51]
    [center:161o6f51][/center:161o6f51]

Re: WORDS

Quote Originally Posted by FryLock4
    well I often wonder why words are what they are like the word Forum who came up with them all and who came up with the meanings lol who took the time to write the dictionary how long of a time was the dictionary created over lol who keeps coming up with words How can our brains remember them all man there are a lot of them think about it,seriously wtf is up with words? :_)
    Quote Originally Posted by My corrections
    well, I often wonder why words are what they are. like the word Forum. who came up with them all, and who came up with the meanings lol? who took the time to write the dictionary? how long of a time was the dictionary created over lol? who keeps coming up with words? How can our brains remember them all? man, there are a lot of them. think about it; seriously, wtf is up with words? :_)
    Please use commas and punctuation. And avoid the common stutter known as LOL. it makes reading posts happy.

Words were developed to communicate (obvious). The Latins/Greeks' languages are used as root words for suffixes and prefixes in English; that's where we got our words from (as well as from other languages). The rest of your post seems pretty muchh rhetorical.

KTU
    Dedicated Member

Laughing out loud (happy SD? ). I've often wondered the same thing. What's more confusing is that some cultures (such as the Chinese) used pictures instead of words to communicate. To me, it seems only logical. It would make life 493762974365923765 times easier if we just used pictures instead of words.
    [center:36nrfcqg][/center:36nrfcqg]

Quote Originally Posted by ~KTU~
    Laughing out loud (happy SD? ). I've often wondered the same thing. What's more confusing is that some cultures (such as the Chinese) used pictures instead of words to communicate. To me, it seems only logical. It would make life 493762974365923765 times easier if we just used pictures instead of words.
    Yeah, but if we used pictures think how long books would be. And how would you draw a picture for certain words like how and would and yeah.

KTU
    Dedicated Member

[quote=B4R1 B4N6]
    Quote Originally Posted by "~KTU~":1s1ra65o
    Yeah, but if we used pictures think how long books would be. And how would you draw a picture for certain words like how and would and yeah.[/quote:1s1ra65o]

Books would actually be quite a bit shorter because by this time we would have mastered small fonts. =D
    [center:36nrfcqg][/center:36nrfcqg]

Hmmm. Interesting point, but easily answered. The truth is, no one knows were words originated. My theory is that god made it so, lol. But if I were to view it from a scientific point of view, the one I don't believe in, I would say a small group of early human beings thought up grunts and noises to associate with items. Lets say a stick would be an "Eee-chutatu". Now, these early humans thought they were 1337, so they used there new words to signal attacks and create simple startegies to take over the other human sub-groups. Then a bunch of stupid newbs thought ot be cool and copy them, but tried to be original, thus creating other languages such as chinese and russian. These n00bs (SP, lol) realized they weren't as 1337 as the original (DD, lol) and went across the bering see via bridge to isolate themselves, until the original (the spaniards) came over and kick-banned there n00b arses....sorry, I'm tired, But if you take out the humor, that's my actual theory.
    I'm gay.

lol nice explaination Highly = )
    [center:161o6f51]LET'S BREAK OUT THE SHOTGUNS WE'RE GOING TO TOWN![/center:161o6f51]
    [center:161o6f51][/center:161o6f51]

Enthusiast
    How about this. . . point at something and make a sound. Chair= "UFIEHfhUFB!!!", as some caveman might have called it. . . Luck just had it we named a chair, well, "chair".

CM: I happen to be sitting in my UFIEHfhUFB!!!
    DS: lol, I forgot you are a caveman :P

But seriously, Hellen Keller was taught that everything had a name, and soon developed sign language. If she's deaf and blind, I think an ordinary person would learn language like 1 ... 2 ... 3. BUT, she had somone to help her learn, so I see where your philosophy for God helping works.
    Insert Blank

Dedicated Member
    i think, you need to think about what happend at the temple of Babal [sp?], when the Original language was abolished, then along came greek, and latin, and the languages that make up the world as we know it. The Temple of Babal still remains a complete mystery that not even the prime scientist and bibcal researchers cant seem to find.

im baffeld by this topic as well.[/b]

[quote=B4R1 B4N6]
    Quote Originally Posted by "~KTU~":x0mrexql
    Yeah, but if we used pictures think how long books would be. And how would you draw a picture for certain words like how and would and yeah.[/quote:x0mrexql]
    lol...what would the picture be for sex? lol
    Yeah, words are weird. LIke the word "word"...where did that come from? Say it a couple of times. It begins to sound weird. Any word will if you repeatedly say it. What I find amazing though is how our brains remember all of these words and their definitions. Amazing.
    Some words are messed up though. Why is a parkway a place where cars drive and a driveway a place where cars park?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast