Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Olympics

The Olympics

I had an English exam today with a question that made me think.

The question went along the lines of;

Billions of pounds would be spent on the olympic games, some disagree with this and think that the money would be better spent on health care, reducing crime, and education.

Write an essay in favour of, or against this statement.

I wrote in favour of it, after thinking about it quite a bit, it is a very unjustified way to spend a lot of money. Sure you get a kickass stadium after the event, and a place for young athletes to train, but that only benefits a certain group of people, and only a certain group of people in a certain area.

If the money were to be spent on things like health care, reducing crime, working on a renewable energy source etc, it would benefit everyone across the nation.

Comments, thoughts? After sitting that exam I disagree with the olympics.

Re: The Olympics

I've always thought that putting a lot of money toward athletic events instead of something worthwhile (like healthcare and renewable resources) isn't really a great idea.

[center:akkfv4h7][/center:akkfv4h7]

[center:akkfv4h7]"Fuck off bitch, I've got legos to construct."[/center:akkfv4h7]

Tim

Great topic, I think about stuff like this all the time. I mean, governments spend millions and millions of dollars on huge events like the Olympics and, in Sydney for example, the New Year's Eve fireworks (apparently in 2009, we spent around $5 million on fireworks in Sydney Harbour alone). Why aren't we spending such large amounts of money on things such as health care, infrastructure and education? It's ridiculous.

Veteran Enthusiast

Sounds like an AS Language exam.

If you hold society as the most important thing, all kinds of taxes and organisations become "useless", TV licenses, the BBC, all sports, especially football. It comes down to a balance, an idealistic world in which education and justice were the most important thing would be fantastic, unfortunately for economic reasons, such a scenario would have to be globalised, making it very hard to achieve. That said, the economic problems would be lessened significantly if the money being spent on recreational activities and ventures such as the Olympics were channelled into education,law, healthcare etc. taxes would decrease and people would be better off.

That said, better =/= happy, our current system means that the public could rebel against the government if they disagreed with the Olympics that much, no referendum has happened, and so the Government is acting on behalf of the people. These points are also ignoring the message of the Olympics, as it is a global celebration of fair human achievement and co-operation, a message in my opinion equally as important as those held by education, law and healthcare.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera
    These points are also ignoring the message of the Olympics, as it is a global celebration of fair human achievement and co-operation, a message in my opinion equally as important as those held by education, law and healthcare.
    I find this ironic, in a way. The Olympics is a global celebration of fair human achievement and co-operation, however the amount of money that is put into the Olympics itself is phenomenal, almost absurd. In putting such large sums of money into this event, less money is being distributed into, what I consider, fundamental areas of society (e.g. healthcare, infrastructure and education) and, consequently, equity and "fair human achievement" (I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "fair human achievement" so if I've used the term incorrectly, let me know) is not really achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Skype
    I wrote in favour of it, after thinking about it quite a bit, it is a very unjustified way to spend a lot of money. Sure you get a kickass stadium after the event, and a place for young athletes to train, but that only benefits a certain group of people, and only a certain group of people in a certain area.

If the money were to be spent on things like health care, reducing crime, working on a renewable energy source etc, it would benefit everyone across the nation.

Maintaining that attitude, you could say that spending money on anything not beneficial to society is unjust.
    what is homo love?

Though I disagree with this amoun tof money being spent on the olympics, I agree with Chimaera that we need to find a balance between giving younger people opportunites with things like the olympic stadium and being realistic with economic issues. I think way too much money is pumped into the olympics, but there should still BE an olympics, instead less money should be used.
    Courtz? click patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzystan
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Skype

Maintaining that attitude, you could say that spending money on anything not beneficial to society is unjust.
    No, re-read what I said. I said a LOT of money. Several billion pounds on a singular event that most likely wont happen again is unjust.

The Olympics aren't just some fancy games that people go to cause they're bored or what not. All huge games such as these profit the country that their are hosted in (such as the World Cup in South Africa). Some countries really need this opportunity to prove themselves. Athletes make a living and also need to prove and get themselves noticed through events such as these.
    I understand what you're saying, but I don't like the logic of it. You could apply this to millions of other products and events that are just made an ran for entertainment/ profit.
    [center:hn9zn80r][/center:hn9zn80r]

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper
    The Olympics aren't just some fancy games that people go to cause they're bored or what not. All huge games such as these profit the country that their are hosted in (such as the World Cup in South Africa). Some countries really need this opportunity to prove themselves. Athletes make a living and also need to prove and get themselves noticed through events such as these.
    I understand what you're saying, but I don't like the logic of it. You could apply this to millions of other products and events that are just made an ran for entertainment/ profit.
    But the Olympics, as far as I understand are only being used as an example, and as Skype has just pointed they shouldn't be prevented, but less money should be pumped into it and instead given to society.
    Courtz? click patrick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast