Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Vote for prisoners?

My History Teacher was talking to us about democracy in class today, and for some reason I had no idea that people in jail shouldn't have a vote. I disagree with this, as many people in prison could be there for a short period of time because they've got drunk one night, but just because of this we're demolishing on eof their most important human rights..

What do you guys think?
    Courtz? click patrick

Veteran Enthusiast

Re: Vote for prisoners?

When you do something bad enough to remove your freedom of movement, you don't deserve to have a say in how the country is run. If your a usually good person, chances are your sentence will be short anyway.

This is ignoring the complications involved in the "party selling" process of an election, I dread to think of the changes leaders would promise to gain the votes of prisoners, which would be a sizeable demographic.

But what if your sentence is short, but you get arrested the week before an election, for example: you miss the election amd have to wait five years before you can vote again. I'm not saying ALL prisoners should have a vote, only those who are due to be released shortly.
    Courtz? click patrick

Veteran Enthusiast BEER BEER STRONG's Avatar

I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to. I mean, the main reason they're in jail is to protect the public from them. It's not like allowing them to vote somehow jeopardizes that. I mean, there is a fair argument that if you aren't fit to participate in society, you aren't fit to make decisions for society either. Another argument against voting would be that prisoners should be held to "civic death", meaning they are more or less given a death sentence without the actual death, so they lose all their rights and such. Prisoners still pay taxes in most places though, so that kind of defeats that argument.

Chimaera, can you give an example of some promises candidates would make to prisoners? I don't mean to be rude, but I can't think of any offer that would gain them votes overall. The only real way to get the majority of prisoners' votes would be something as direct as "If I become president I'll cut everyones jail time down by 5%", but if that were to happen, they would lose far more votes from the non-felon population than it would gain from people in jail. Only about two thirds of a percent of the US population was in jail in 2008, so I doubt it's a large enough change to say that politicians will go to crazy lengths to buy their votes. If the US lowered their voting age by one year (17 year olds and 18 year olds aren't that different) that would introduce more new voters than allowing prisoners to vote, but that doesn't mean that candidates would go to crazy lengths to appeal to young people.
    [center:16hbm10o]

He lost all his friends
    He didn't need his friends
    He lived with his mother and repeated himself[/center:16hbm10o]

Good points, however I feel that the vote should be extended only to those who have a short sentence because others, EG. Murderers would make an unstable decision.
    Courtz? click patrick

Veteran Enthusiast BEER BEER STRONG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StickWorkshop
    Good points, however I feel that the vote should be extended only to those who have a short sentence because others, EG. Murderers would make an unstable decision.
    Where do you draw the line? As far as I'm concerned, any inmate should be allowed to vote. I don't see how killing someone makes you any less fit to make a decision than someone who tried to rob a liquor store.
    [center:16hbm10o]

He lost all his friends
    He didn't need his friends
    He lived with his mother and repeated himself[/center:16hbm10o]

If you are in prison for any extended amount of time, then you've proven yourself to be unfit for society. Some of your rights will be taken from you, and amongst those the right to vote. You are personally responsible for losing those rights. I don't see why we should waste any pity on those personally responsible for their own punishment.
    Inmates have proven themselves to be unfit for society, and are being actively secluded from it. This for the good of the society. I don't see why they should get a say in the very society they've been forced out of.
    Once (or if) an inmate has rehabilitated and is let back out into the world, he regains his rights and thus the right to vote.

Also, inmates are very often fucking crazy or fucking stupid. As such I really don't lament the loss of their right to vote.

they've got drunk one night,
    What, did they go outside or something? I'm pretty sure being drunk is perfectly legal if you're of age. If it's in public then apparently it's like driving drunk.
    "The Good Book once said, 'Moses spoke thus to the people of Israel, but they did not listen to Moses, because of their broken spirit and harsh slavery.'

This is irrelevant, but it still rings true, I guess?"

What I meant by got drunk was that they got overly drunk and did something stupid.
    Courtz? click patrick

What I meant by got drunk was that they got overly drunk and did something stupid.
    Like driving?
    "The Good Book once said, 'Moses spoke thus to the people of Israel, but they did not listen to Moses, because of their broken spirit and harsh slavery.'

This is irrelevant, but it still rings true, I guess?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast