Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

View Poll Results: Have you changed your mind over an importan subject?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have changed my mind

9 60.00%
  • I have changed my mind but i didnt admit it.

2 13.33%
  • I have never changed my mind because i have never been provided with anything that seriously challenges my opinions.

1 6.67%
  • I'm always right.

3 20.00%

Changing your mind.

Have you ever been owned so completely in any debate that you actually changed your mind?

I don't know why i wanted to make this thread, its just that when idiots come into the debate area and start to spout bullshit and then get called out on it they dont show any sign of having changed their mind. I myself have not changed my mind in this section, the only time i have changed my mind is when i had some kind of misinformation. I did change my mind about God's existance somewhat thanks to the debate area though

So yeah, brag about changing your mind or give your thougts on it.

I know this is more of a discussion rather than a debate but i think you guys could let it slide, If not then just delete it or move it to the general talk but i thought this might be interesting to start a little discussion about.

Veteran Enthusiast

Re: Changing your mind.

All the time, only a moron would go through life strictly believing the same thing. It's an important factor of intellectual growth, challenging what you are taught, creating your own conclusions, and every day refining them.

In terms of my own religious beliefs:

Ages 3 - 9 Theist (Christian), 9 - 12 Agnostic (Christian), 12 - 14 Atheist, 14 - 16 Agnostic, 16 - 18 Weak Agnostic, Present Weak Agnostic (Most major religions)

From 14 I started to develop understandings of Islam and Judaism, from 16 I was taught both classical and modern philosophy (Covering theistic and atheistic views), as well as modern scientific views and atheist beliefs, though mainly Dawkins.

That's just religion, I'm sure most young adults have had at least one major religious change, not to mention other ethical, political and social changes.

Problem with me is that I usually hold off having an opinion until I've seen the facts and am reasonably sure it's the right one to have. That way I rarely have to change my mind. Especially in here, where the most opposition I've had has been 12 year olds going on and on about god.

It's not like I'm not open to change, though. Just a few weeks ago I sincerely prayed to god to reveal himself to me. Admittedly I knew it wasn't going to happen and the only reason I did it was to prove this christian girl wrong, but it was a sincere effort none the less.

What's the point in a debate if you're not being open minded and not even considering the possibility of being wrong?

It's hard to admit you're wrong, but honestly, it takes more pride to admit your errors than to try and cover it up.

This applies to me also, by the way. I rush into things with my first impression more often than I'd like.
    [center:13w2rfcr]My Thread (updated 26/1/11!)[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr][/center:13w2rfcr] [center:13w2rfcr]Skype: lucienpicto[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr]Steam: _picto[/center:13w2rfcr]
    Quote Originally Posted by StargateSG
    But tell me, what is homo love?

Quote Originally Posted by DAMON
    Problem with me is that I usually hold off having an opinion until I've seen the facts and am reasonably sure it's the right one to have. That way I rarely have to change my mind. Especially in here, where the most opposition I've had has been 12 year olds going on and on about god.

It's not like I'm not open to change, though. Just a few weeks ago I sincerely prayed to god to reveal himself to me. Admittedly I knew it wasn't going to happen and the only reason I did it was to prove this christian girl wrong, but it was a sincere effort none the less.
    100% agreed.

I was born and raised christian, but my daddy didn't raise no fool, and my daddy didn't raise me at all, and if theres one thing throught the years of dealing with a violent alcoholic every night..
    Noone listening. No matter how sincere you think you are, your alone. If god does exist, hes fucking useless and he aint listing.

Anyways, on Subject, I usually don't get into an argument until my facts are sorted out and i know all the questions that are going to be asked ahead of time. learn as much as you can about both sides, and choose the one you truly believe is right, then go at it. IF you don't know your facts, your setting yourself up for disaster. If someone totally ruins your ability of answering legitimately, and you cant find a counter, i will gladly set aside my pride and adopt the greater of the two.
    PivotAnimation.net Administrator
    Feel free to contact me with any problems you may have regarding PA via PM here, PA, or MSN.
    A Message By The Forums Representative Program