Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Human Cloning.

Old Newbie

Human Cloning.

A place to philosiphise )

Well, probably been argued about six thousand times before.
    But im bringing it up again.

*Note: Im a bit rusty on some of my facts, correct me if im wrong.*

Human Cloning.
    Its basically, growing people, using cells from another person( lets call thsi person the "donar") the clone would grow to be genetically identical in everyway to the donar.
    It seems a bit pointless to do this, but human cloning can cure thousands of previously incurable diseases.
    The issue
    (I got this story from a program, its fictional) A man,John, has an accident while climbing.He and falls breaks his back,can no longer walk.The tissues needed in his back are badly damaged.One scientist claims she can restore his tissues and allow him to walk.She warns him its illegal, but he has no objections. (Would you?)
    Now the complicated bit.She grows a human clone from him, dont take this to literally,its a 2 day old foetus, not a fully fledged human.But after a certain amount of days (Im not sure how many, i THINK its 14) she can take certain cells from the foetus and grow the man the tissues neede to heal his spine.This kills the foetus.However law prevents experimenting on a foetus after 11 days (Again, not sure about the amount of days, im guessing)
    The question
    Should she be allowed to do this?Should the life of a potential human be grown, then taken to benefit the life of John? (The donar)
    Opinions please.Be Nice and try to make sense, genetics gets easily confusing :_)

I think it is perfectly fine to do this. If the fetus is only two weeks old, it is able to be aborted, so why shouldn't we be able to experiment with one?
    Either abortion laws or that experimenting one should be changed. I think it's both, btw.
    Normally I have a problem with abortions, but if the fetus is a clone of the person being aided, I think it is morally ok. Especially if the fetus is as young as the example states.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. ~Mark Twain

Click the animation above to visit.

I have no definite stance on this, it's got its wrongs and rights and stuff that's just like "wtf?" Cloning is just one of those "hot button" issues that political cantidates use to get votes off of the stupid public.

But if I had to say something, I'd say that would be alright, because technically they're using him to heal himself.

EDIT: for future reference, its' spelled 'fetus', no o in the word.

I'm not sure, but I think he's trying to spell it the old way. But I think it used to be spelled faetus, so I have no clue.

Good point, SmashDood, btw.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. ~Mark Twain

Old Newbie
    Valid points.
    SD.Your probably right about the whole politics thing. Puh, politicians.
    But human cloning is interesting.I have a keen interest in genetics.
    [offtopic]Heres something interesting.(Hard to keep up with, so pay attention,ive treid to keep it simple as i can)
    Two sets of Parents.
    Both give birth to twins. One has A set of female, thet other, a set of male.
    The twin females grow up, meet the twin boys, they fall in love and get married to each other.....
    So we have Two sets of married twins
    Male twin 1 + female twin 1= baby 1
    Female twin 2 + male twin 1 = baby 2
    Both couples have a child.
    These two children are technically cousins
    How else are baby 1 and baby 2 related?[/offtpic]

Ok, first of all, those spelling mistakes made me want to kick you in the face (lol). And, you have a valid story there. I don't know where my stance is, but only because I have certain personal factors playing in there. I don't know if it fits in with abortion (which I'm against), because we all know that a human clones life span is theorized to be short, and even if it would survive, it would have all sorts of health problems and mental retardation and all. I think if they make a clone, you may as well kill it when it's a 14 day old fetus then let it live a horrible life. I don't know where I stand, but I suspect I will once they successfully clone a human being.
    I'm gay.

Old Newbie
    Sorry abot my spelling mistakes.
    XD
    Basically, nearly everything caused by faulty organs can be cured, because a new organ can be grown from the clone.Theres a few complications, minor details, that could prevent some things from being cured.
    I also think it is possible to cure cancer using cloning, but im unsure abotu how this works, or even if its true.
    Another benefit is we wouldnt need organ donars anymore, as the organs could be grown from clones.But people are scared that these huge organ farms would be created, with thousands of clones being created and detsroyed everyday.
    Its probably what would happen, scary, eh?
    And no-one has figured out how baby 1 and baby 2 are related )
    [n00bish]Go teh mE!111ololololol[/n00bish]

Well baby 1 and 2 MAY be considered siblings. It isn't exactly right, though, because they aren't from the same parents. They share as much dna as normal siblings do, but I don't think they would be considered as such.

Do I win?!?!

Enthusiast
    You should NOT be able to create life just to take it away. I mean, if your tissues aren't working, that doesn't mean it's fine to take it from somone else (unless they are willing, ofcourse). If you create a clone that doesn't mean he/she isn't human, or lives.
    Insert Blank

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Smoothe
    You should NOT be able to create life just to take it away. I mean, if your tissues aren't working, that doesn't mean it's fine to take it from somone else (unless they are willing, ofcourse). If you create a clone that doesn't mean he/she isn't human, or lives.
    we do it with plants all the time so why should humans be anydifferent i mean we are all living things aint we???

-fp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast