Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Newbie

Are Human Emotions Logical?

Title says it all.

Do you think that the emotions we show on a daily bases are rooted in logic?
    Personaly, I believe the answer is yes, and no.
    We fear things the challenge our life, thus making it impossible to reproduce, making our genitic code less like to survive. This is logical, but then let's look at the opposite end of the spectrum; Sadness. (it's not the opposite of fear, but whatever.) Why do you feel sadness? Because things didn't go accordingly, so that to cause a negative reaction to you. But what you do when your sad is not logical. You hinder forward proggress, and possibly others.

I think emotions could be delt away with, as long as we had a coping mechanism, we'd be fine.
    If I never felt happy, but allways felt sad, I'd kill myself. If I never felt ANY emotion, I'd be fine.
    But like every debate, this has quite a gradient of problems and evidences.

So what's your oppinion?

Veteran Enthusiast

Re: Are Human Emotions Logical?

Human emotions are logical, though sometimes the actions we do as a result of them are not.

Old Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ?himaera
    Human emotions are logical, though sometimes the actions we do as a result of them are not.
    While I probably aggree with you, could you please ellaborate?

Veteran Enthusiast

One can accurately and easily predict the emotional reaction of an average person in a given situation, what's harder is then saying what the person will do as a result.

Old Newbie

One can accurately and easily predict the emotional reaction of an average person in a given situation, what's harder is then saying what the person will do as a result.
    True, why do we get mad? When we get mad, we do illogical things, so if the actions resulting from it or illogical, then why is the emotion itslef logical?

Quote Originally Posted by ermac2222
    True, why do we get mad? When we get mad, we do illogical things, so if the actions resulting from it or illogical, then why is the emotion itslef logical?
    Well, these are, even for psychologist, unexplainable things, but I think that emotions itself are not "logical" or "illogical" they're a mirror or an effect to what is happening. As said, it's easy to predict what emotion one is feeling for example, I killed someone in your family, you would get angry, sad etc etc. That's the easy part, what is hard is to know what you're doing after knowing that I did it.
    I'd say that emotions are reactions in the brain which are triggered by everything around us. Every emotion is related to something that happens to you, which is logical, the actions after are logical but unpredictable since there are infinite factors that influence your next step.

Sorry, if I wasn't clear enough.
    [center:1vms8s0o]...which is why Jimi hendrix is God, period.[/center:1vms8s0o]

Old Newbie

Nah, you're fine.
    So yes, they are logical, in the sense that they can be predicted, I geuss what I ment this thread to be about are emotions advantagous? If we were emotionaly stale robots, would we be better off?
    In some areas I'd say yes, but we would probably be far less advanced.
    We wouldn't have ambition to explore, for one.
    But then again, we wouldn't fight wars because of disagreements.
    Far less fighting, but then again, far less anything.

So I do agree with you, but I think I forgot what 'logical' ment.
    I was saying are emotions...correct. (I can't find the right word for what I'm trying to say.)
    Logical, yes, you can predict them, but I forgot that that was not what the word ment, lol.

You want to know if we think that emotions are advantageous?
    First off, emotions, as I said, are logical and normal reactions that are triggered by your conscious. This means that if we had no emotions we would not think because we'd have no conscious, thus, I don't think we would be more futuristic or advanced in any way, just for not having emotions.
    Secondly, emotions are what makes us special.

If your wife was killed its logical to be angry at the person that killed her. But it is illogical to commit suicide because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Abadax
    If your wife was killed its logical to be angry at the person that killed her. But it is illogical to commit suicide because of it.
    That's not really what he meant. It's just impossible to know what he's doing so its illogical. After he did it, it will be logical again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast