Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

(Ahem) Adjectives and Adverbs - An opinion

I'm not sure if this is related at all to metaphysics or anything of the sort, but I did think it might fit here.

Adjectives are, as I'm sure most or all of you know, a part of speech that is used to describe or modify a noun. Adverbs are, as I'm sure most or slightly less than all of you know, words used to describe or modify a noun.

Now, since both are used to describe, let's take this example:

"Jimmy, afraid your mother is rather large."
    "No, I don't think she is, Fred."

They both have different opinions of what "fat", an adjective, means, obviously, and they demonstrate that in the example. Therefore, it has two different meanings.

The point of that demonstration is to show that adjectives's and adverbs's meanings are relative to the person. So the each have no definite meaning. Do you agree?

Re: (Ahem) Adjectives and Adverbs - An opinion

Quote Originally Posted by FyFyMikhaylovich
    I'm not sure if this is related at all to metaphysics or anything of the sort, but I did think it might fit here.

Adjectives are, as I'm sure most or all of you know, a part of speech that is used to describe or modify a noun. Adverbs are, as I'm sure most or slightly less than all of you know, words used to describe or modify a noun.

Now, since both are used to describe, let's take this example:

"Jimmy, afraid your mother is rather large."
    "No, I don't think she is, Fred."

They both have different opinions of what "fat", an adjective, means, obviously, and they demonstrate that in the example. Therefore, it has two different meanings.

The point of that demonstration is to show that adjectives's and adverbs's meanings are relative to the person. So the each have no definite meaning. Do you agree?
    rofl! lol...Wow, that was hilarious. Ok, I agree with you, but this isn't exactly my area of expertise... I'd say in some circumstances they have only one meaning, but I can't think of any off of the top of my head right now.
    I'm gay.

I don't think you ever will. Here are some more helpful examples:

"That dust remover is incredibly stupid."
    "Actually, it is very smart. MTV is stupid."
    "Ah, now I agree with you, Fred."
    "Actually, I think MTV is great, Jimmy and Fred."
    "..."
    "No, idiot."
    "Well, guys, I suppose that all means that we have different opinions of what those adjectives mean."

There is no word this doesn't apply to, because you have to assume that someone in life has an opinion contrary to yours of the adjective or adverb to use this as a standard.

Ermmm. . . noo, disagree with you on this. The guys have different opinions on what the items in question are, not what the words mean. You're coming from the wrong end of the argument on it.

Yes, but Fred thinks Jimmy's mother is rather large. The key is "large". The mother is large, but not large, so she represents each adjective.

Colors, length measurements and textures, etc. are all very definite adjectives.

I see where you're coming from, but I agree with smashdood that it is from the wrong end of the subject. The person's perception of an object or action makes them assign an adjective or adverb to it, which may be different from another person's opinion, but that does not change the actual word's definition.

Btw, a few examples supporting your opinion are listed below.

1. Speed adverb
    "Wow! That guy drove by us really fast!" person a
    "It was only like 40 mph. I can get my Vespa to go faster than that." person b

2. Control adverb
    "Geez! Look at that bird fly! What, is it high?!?!" person a
    "It looks like it's flying normally to me. It's just doing barrel rolls and nose dives to court that hen down there." person b
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. ~Mark Twain

Click the animation above to visit.

ROFLPWNTOMGZZ!!!! OH NOZ!!! ok, my brain malfunction, I had flashbacks of the third grad right there....scary stuff.....
    I'm gay.

And that would be why this is the philosphy section. It has come to a question of whether or not opinions actually do change the definition of something. Probably not, but we can't definitely assume that they don't. It seems that that is one question we may never answer. Oh well.

Opinions don't change the meaning of anything. It's like saying "blue is yellow", if you get me. Blue is blue, not yellow. That's as simple as I can explain myself, but I probably confused things more, lol. :P
    [center:3qmfvtqh][/center:3qmfvtqh]

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut
    Opinions don't change the meaning of anything. It's like saying "blue is yellow", if you get me. Blue is blue, not yellow. That's as simple as I can explain myself, but I probably confused things more, lol. :P
    you did confuse me...well, I say that that is true phonically speaking. Like, if you heard someone behind you say "Man, jennifer aniston sure is fat!", and you turned around and yelled at them for being a retard, when what they really meant was phat...well, either way calling people phat is stupid....aargh, my brain juices....
    I'm gay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast