Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Should you be Proud of your Country?

Not sure whether there is much of a debate here, but I was stirring it over in my mind today and I wanted to know the opinions of the people here.

It's a simple question: Should you have pride in the country you were born in? If so, why? Whether it be the current economical/political status of your country, the sincerity in your country's media, or the history/past and present achievements of your country?

Is it pointless to have pride in your country? Besides, it's not something you earned, something you worked hard to get to. It's simply the place you were born. I think it's part of human instinct to have pride in the cultural group they belong to, but are there really any valid reasons to be proud?

Being from Scotland, there are some bigoted cunts here, who believe that this country is the best in the world without question, and who get really fucking angry at anyone who questions them. You'll also find some Anti-Englishness among Scots, and for this I'm ashamed. I am however, proud of my country's healthcare, and cultural diversity. I'm proud to be part of a work force that helps the NHS (National Health Service), and acceptance of different cultures within my society (Bar the ignorant idiots I mentioned earlier.).

I believe that it's perfectly reasonable for someone to be proud of their country's political status, if they vote or campaign. I also believe that it makes sense to have pride in government services, if you support them by working. Among other things like social acceptance and tolerance of different cultures and beliefs.
    I however, think it's pointless to have pride in your country's past achievements in history. Why should you be proud of something you weren't a part of? I do however have some inexplainable pride for my country's past achievements, which I can't justify.

Also, if any staff member thinks this shouldn't be in the debate area, feel free to move it.
    what is homo love?

Re: Should you be Proud of your Country?

Finally a good debate topic.

I find it to be mixed in my opinion. It's up to how you view the status of your country. Sometimes patriotism can be a good thing. Like moral during war, a country that feels good about itself may have a better chance of winning a war.
    I don't feel very patriotic of my country however, because we have a pretty fuzzy history. Every country makes mistakes but the US has done some pretty bad shit. Though i suppose i feel a little bit proud to be an american.
    [center:22op32gp]Music Thread[/center:22op32gp]
    [center:22op32gp][/center:22op32gp][center:22op32gp] [/center:22op32gp]

No, I am not proud of my country. I think pride is something that needs to be earned and not expected just because you were born in said country.

England has done nothing that makes me proud of living here.

Veteran Enthusiast

I'm proud of some of the history of my country, and I'm grateful that I was born here, and I wouldn't be ashamed of saying I'm English at all. That said I think that patriotism taken too far is simply stupid.

Van

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Skype
    No, I am not proud of my country. I think pride is something that needs to be earned and not expected just because you were born in said country.

This, you earn pride as I'm aware you are not handed it

Want to switch places with me? You'll have a completely different idea. What Skype said is pretty much the only acceptable answer for that question, call me close minded. But square kilometers and people that live around them shouldn't be something to be proud of just because you were born between them.

Does a smaller address count? Such as the state or city you live in? I feel very proud that I am from Washington, and being born in Seattle feel the same about there as well.
    [center:22op32gp]Music Thread[/center:22op32gp]
    [center:22op32gp][/center:22op32gp][center:22op32gp] [/center:22op32gp]

Exactly, I too am not proud of my country. I am just neutral, I do not hate Canada, but I do not love it.

Xemozu elaborated on Skype's point well, and I agree with Chim. Extreme patriotism seems completely stupid to me. You were born on this land mass, boast about it and hate people(who most likely are just like you) from other land masses.
    Slubberdegullion = Pivotelite.

I think that tribalism by principle is a bad thing and it needs to be eliminated for us to take the next step, socially, as a species.

What I think we should be proud of, if anything, is not our cultures or countries but humanity as a whole.

I'm not saying that our species is perfect, but we've accomplished quite a bit (certain members much more than others), and we're the only surviving life of our degree of intelligence that we know of at present.

I'm not saying that it's possible for everybody to come together as a species (if everyone was nontheistic maybe...), I'm just saying that I think that's what should be done, if it could.

So no, I don't really think having a strong cultural identity over an identity as your species is necessarily a good thing.
    [center:3346oc0h][/center:3346oc0h]
    [center:3346oc0h]Blog Anims Art[/center:3346oc0h]

Enthusiast
    An ancient ravine on an abandoned planet, tending to the daffodils

At Etecia: If I was proud of my area, I'd be an idiot. Go crime, drunk driving and prostitution! Yeah! Lol.

I'm not really too proud of America. I'm proud that we used to stand for freedom of choice, but our government is so corrupt now I'm ashamed to live here. I'm not very fond of any of the presidents we've had in the last 60 years to be honest. On the other hand, it's probably the safest and freest (if that's a word...) country around right now, so I'm grateful that I get to drink safe water and sleep without worrying about death squads every night. We're not a tyrannical nation yet.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast