Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Pen
    Enthusiast

Bibles in the Classroom

I couldn't find this using the search function, or by scrolling through the threads, so here we go.

Bibles in the classroom.

What I mean by this, is when bibles are used inside the school walls as a literacy tool, a history book and something upon that nature. When the Christianity book, becomes a school book. As law in the United States of America, the separation of church and state is a huge factor in this. Mainly because there are students who are not Christian, and may be offended by such.

This particular issue though, focuses on when teachers take the bible, and turn it from teaching, into preaching. When learning the history the bible gives, and using it to persuade the class to turn to Christianity.

Here's a better overview of what I'm talking about.

-8% of U.S. Public schools sponsor elective courses designed on the Bible.
    -220,000 students are enrolled in such a class.
    -The Supreme Court has ruled it permissible to offer classes on "The study of the Bible."
    -Schools can teach about the Bible as history or literature, as long as the approach is academic.
    -The BLP (Bible Literacy Project) published a text book, The Bible and It's Influence.
    Micheal D. Simpson - NEA Office

What do you think about this, should the Bible be used as a educational book, or not. And why.

(Also, I main point of this is that, should it be allowed, given that teachers could go over the line from teaching, to preaching.)

My opinion is this. You chose the class as a elective, you should expect going into such a class that your peers will be read hearty Christians that will try and turn you to Christianity, though you don't want to. Expect the class to become a debate class, and expect the class to turn into a preaching class, but hell, if your up for it, go for it. So I say, Yes, some might find this a rich class, others not so much, whose to say those who wan't this class can't have it?

Re: Bibles in Classroom

Sure teach about the bible, but i think it would probably be better to just have a broad religious class where you have other books as well. But i think it's really important that if teachers are going to be teaching this to their students they should never approach it with the thought that its the holy truth and should never turn the classroom into a church.

This is very exploitable but i think it's probably a good class to have in more schools as an elective.

Re: Bibles in the Classroom

I think that it is important to get a basic knowlage about religon, but not a certain one. I also think that it should be given a choice for the student to learn about the subject or not, either way It can cause two different things. 1: either some religous robots who can't have a opinon. Or if it is not taught 2: People who don't understand other peoples religon, that can lead to racism or discrimination.
    Although in England we have a compulsory subject called R.E ( religous education ). It is basicly a teaching of a bundle of religons and religous texts. Sometimes when I am in the class, I do feel that it can be a little, biased. What I mean is that it all depends on who is teaching. My current teacher has told us that they are a catholic. Because of this I think that when we do learn about the bible it is that they try and sell it to you.

Over all, it should be allowed as a subject but a optional one. And if you do choose to learn it. Then the person teaching should have a assistant or someone to watch over the lesson to make sure it doesn't turn into a brainwashing session.

Quote Originally Posted by CandyNote
    Sometimes when I am in the class, I do feel that it can be a little, biased. What I mean is that it all depends on who is teaching. My current teacher has told us that they are a catholic. Because of this I think that when we do learn about the bible it is that they try and sell it to you.
    )
    My RE teacher is an Atheist, and in all of my 4 years at my school we have only done work on Christianity once. But some of the madder head teachers give us bibles each year and force of to read them when we get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuntface McReary
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyNote
    Sometimes when I am in the class, I do feel that it can be a little, biased. What I mean is that it all depends on who is teaching. My current teacher has told us that they are a catholic. Because of this I think that when we do learn about the bible it is that they try and sell it to you.
    )
    My RE teacher is an Atheist, and in all of my 4 years at my school we have only done work on Christianity once. But some of the madder head teachers give us bibles each year and force of to read them when we get them.
    We have to read the Bible in R.E, just as we need to read scriptures from the Qu'ran and the Tanakh. It doesn't mean I'm getting religion forced down my throat.
    what is homo love?

Veteran Enthusiast BEER BEER STRONG's Avatar

In every religion class I ever took (at a CATHOLIC school) during my 12 years of mandatory religious education, the teacher always made a point of saying that the bible was NOT a history book in the slightest, and is totally based on faith and information passed down through a bunch of generations. They always said that the stories might be loosely based on things that actually happened, but you'd be an idiot to take them at face value as historical documents.

I don't think that making people taking religion in school is a good idea necessarily, but I really don't think it matters. In my opinion, there are better ways to reform public education than to worry about kids being exposed to religion classes.
    [center:16hbm10o]

He lost all his friends
    He didn't need his friends
    He lived with his mother and repeated himself[/center:16hbm10o]