Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

International Burn a Quran Day

Today, nine years after the 9/11 attack on the twin towers, a nondenominational church located in Gainesville, Florida, planned to host an "International Burn a Quran Day" in a claimed stand against Islam. The church also stated that it was neither an act of love, nor an act of hate, but believed by enacting such an event, it would serve as a warning to Islamics. Since the decision of hosting the event, Reverend Terry Jones, the minister at the church, has set up a meeting with the imam who is in charge of the Islamic center near Ground Zero, which has helped persuade him to cancel the Quran burning.

In the end, I believe by canceling the burning, he made a good decision. Absolutely nothing would have been gained by burning Qurans in an attempt to warn the Islamics. It wouldn't have been seen as any sort of warning, it would catch the attention of everyone of the Islamic faith, not just the extremists, and would be seen as a disrespectful act and prove the intolerance of their religion, and as stated by several sources, it could be seen as a major recruiting opportunity for the extremists of the religion.

Voice opinions and such, I don't necessarily know how much of a debate there will be, being that nearly everyone should agree that the International Burn a Quran Day was a fucking idiotic thought in the first place.
    v The Thread v

Devoted Veteran

Re: International Burn a Quran Day

Eh, if they'd gone through with it, it would've shown that people won't bow down to everything that is said when an angry, murderous mob says it. Which seems to happening a lot lately. Still, burning a book is just burning a book, and although it may bother the extremists, we're not burning their morals; it's just a book. Kind of a pointless thing to do. May as well burn the Bible while you're at it, it's far shittier of a read.

smoke, drink, burn religion books. sounds like a good day.
    [center:155dogaz][/center:155dogaz]

I really think this is pointless tbh. You're burning a book not what people think. It's just a way to spark extremists and cause another war. Fucking idiots if you ask me.
    [center:313vnxms]DarkIce -> Kultivate -> Xehanort > Ruben -> DarkIce -> ULTRA1337piv0tz[/center:313vnxms]

Quote Originally Posted by Soap MacTavish
    Eh, if they'd gone through with it, it would've shown that people won't bow down to everything that is said when an angry, murderous mob says it. Which seems to happening a lot lately. Still, burning a book is just burning a book, and although it may bother the extremists, we're not burning their morals; it's just a book. Kind of a pointless thing to do. May as well burn the Bible while you're at it, it's far shittier of a read.
    My thoughts exactly man.
    [center:1o6efzo1]
    forum rules staff team forum search [/center:1o6efzo1]

Enthusiast

what if some Muslim went on national tv and threatened that they were going to burn bibles? he'd be in Guantanamo by now.
    [center:g01jqkvr][/center:g01jqkvr]

Quote Originally Posted by Narachi
    what if some Muslim went on national tv and threatened that they were going to burn bibles? he'd be in Guantanamo by now.
    You're implying a single christian went on Middle Eastern networks saying he would burn Qurans. it's totally different.

but your concept true, we'd probably be killing muslims or deploying more troops if they had a holiday such as this.
    [center:155dogaz][/center:155dogaz]

[youtube:izo1ieve]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4XJQO3qol8[/youtube:izo1ieve]

It's just a different type of toilet paper, stop bawwing.

On a related note, I'm totally pissed he called it off, because I wanted to go to it. Would have made for some fucking awesome facebook profile pictures.

Also, the Dove Outreach people are super annoying. They always come on campus and yell at people about how they are damned to hell because God hates them and their heathen ways, and their iPods, and skateboards. There hasn't been much since this whole controversy, though, which has been nice.

It's funny how so many people react differently to this. Burning the Koran is just another way of showing your disagreement, but idiots like Terry Jones need to understand that it wasn't a religion who caused 9/11, but a group of people. Blaming religion for their actions is like blaming a gun company for a murder's crime. Sure religion may have inspired them, but it's still them as individuals who are the cause of it.
    I don't really have anything to say about burning the Koran. Go ahead and do it if you think it will accomplish anything, but it really won't. I don't remember the last time I burned down the local deli because I didn't like the prices.
    [center:hn9zn80r][/center:hn9zn80r]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast