Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Devoted Veteran

Stem Cell Research

I believe there was a topic made a few years ago about this but it only had a few pages and I think it's worth some more discussion.

Stem Cell's are a special kind of cell that can differentiate into other kinds of cells. There has been a lot of research and controversy surrounding the research, mainly in the methods the cells are acquired (typically from embryos). While there are adult stem cells that can be retrieved without destroying embryos, they have limited plasticity, meaning they cannot differentiate into as many kinds of cells as embryonic stem cells can.

Optimistic scientists say that the cells can eventually be persuaded into forming tissues otherwise unattainable, and have the potential to cure many cranial, spinal chord, and muscle related diseases.

I've been studying the topic for the past few weeks for a research paper, and I've heard a lot of extreme arguments from both sides (ie the research being a form of "high-tech cannibalism). I'm interested in hearing some more- so what do you guys think? Should the studies continue or is it morally wrong?
    [center:2mwkv12p][/center:2mwkv12p]

Re: Stem Cell Research

I think that the goal of Stem Cell Research is a good one. To improve the lives of others.

The process to attain the cells may be cruel/wrong, but it's building a foundation for a better future. I've read that the cells can be used to cure diseases and genetic problems even BEFORE a child is born, alleviating unnecessary pain and suffering.

If we can begin changing lives and improving our genetic structure, this seems like a method of the future.
    I believe that this kind of research IS the future, solving problems even before they occur.

It may bother people's conscience, but there are many more that are suffering and dying over natural causes linked with genetics and disease, than those that are used for this research. It's worth the sacrifice.

It may be rough around the edges now, but as far as I'm concerned, this is a step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by MrStickid
    The process to attain the cells may be cruel/wrong
    Why is it? Embryos do not have brains and are technically not alive. Just a clump of cells. You're not killing anything.

I'm all for it. I think if proper research is done it can revolutionise the medicinal world.

Obtaining the embryos in the first place however I'm not so sure about. If embryos can be synthetically made with sperm and egg donations then that's fine, but it's a bit weird having to impregnate a woman and then taking the embryo.

Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    it's a bit weird having to impregnate a woman and then taking the embryo.
    It's not like anyone is forcing the woman to be impregnated with the embryo. What's the Difference?
    what is homo love?

Veteran Enthusiast

I've heard about this on the news. Sounds pretty good, don't know a lot about it though. But I reckon if it's done properly, it would be really useful

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzystan
    It's not like anyone is forcing the woman to be impregnated with the embryo. What's the Difference?
    What? It's my personal opinion that using women as "farms" for embryos would be weird.

Why is it? Embryos do not have brains and are technically not alive. Just a clump of cells. You're not killing anything.

I'm all for it. I think if proper research is done it can revolutionise the medicinal world.

Obtaining the embryos in the first place however I'm not so sure about. If embryos can be synthetically made with sperm and egg donations then that's fine, but it's a bit weird having to impregnate a woman and then taking the embryo.
    I agree.

@Mike - I too did a huge report on this.

Stem cells are the future of medicine, advancements should be made and money should be invested in this field of medicine. I'm ALL for stem cell research and the use of stem cells.
    [center:1o6efzo1]
    forum rules staff team forum search [/center:1o6efzo1]

I'm for stem cell research for a variety of reasons.

-My grandmother died of Alzheimer's, and stem cell research may have stop or at least slow the disease
    -I have mild cerebral palsy and stem cells (When used on young children with CP) can help reverse the effects of the disease. It wont help me much anymore, but I wouldnt wish my condition on anybody, and my case is mild. I can still function independently after all.

I agree with the point made above, too. The embryos are just little cell balls, no consciousness or anything yet. I see nothing wrong with using them.

Flash
    Fail sigs available upon request.

This is actually what I had in mind.

I am all for it, like Crono and Skype said, it is not hurting anybody and it will revolutionize the medical world.
    Slubberdegullion = Pivotelite.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast