Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Veteran Enthusiast

Academic qualification ensures success in life?

I've been reading some interesting stuff about this, so I decided to make a debate topic about it here.

So basically, does school and college grades or exam results provide a good way of predicting future success? If so, than should as many people as possible go to university when they're young and work hard to gain formal qualifications?

Veteran Enthusiast

Re: Academic qualification ensures success in life?

Dear God a hundred times no.

Degrees open doors, but people close the deal, you can have all the qualifications under the Sun and be useless if you lack certain skills that aren't academic, like common sense or social awareness. General competence is lacking in many high level academics.

Another trait, just as important is experience, an experienced man can beat a graduate with a piece of paper quite easily, and it's one of the reasons most uni courses offer placement years (A very good idea)

And then we come down to success, I take it you mean financial; academia again can have little to do with this. My father for example left school at 15 with 2 GCEs, he is now in a position where he can apply for jobs and get them easily, despite the job prerequisites being, for example, MBA+EMBA/CBM though he has little to no academic qualifications.

And don't get me started on the the job market... I work with a guy with joint honours in Law/Politics, he's been looking for a job for almost a year and a half. I have another friend who has a degree in Game Arts and Design, he hasn't had a job above 13,000 p/a in his life, he's had his (Admittedly high risk) degree for a year.

In my opinion, people ensure success, those that work hard will naturally be drawn into higher education because they want to be the best, it's this drive that will help them through life, the bit of paper they're holding onto isn't worth half that.

Quote Originally Posted by ?himaera
    Dear God a hundred times no.

Degrees open doors, but people close the deal, you can have all the qualifications under the Sun and be useless if you lack certain skills that aren't academic, like common sense or social awareness. General competence is lacking in many high level academics.

Another trait, just as important is experience, an experienced man can beat a graduate with a piece of paper quite easily, and it's one of the reasons most uni courses offer placement years (A very good idea)

And then we come down to success, I take it you mean financial; academia again can have little to do with this. My father for example left school at 15 with 2 GCEs, he is now in a position where he can apply for jobs and get them easily, despite the job prerequisites being, for example, MBA+EMBA/CBM though he has little to no academic qualifications.

And don't get me started on the the job market... I work with a guy with joint honours in Law/Politics, he's been looking for a job for almost a year and a half. I have another friend who has a degree in Game Arts and Design, he hasn't had a job above 13,000 p/a in his life, he's had his (Admittedly high risk) degree for a year.

In my opinion, people ensure success, those that work hard will naturally be drawn into higher education because they want to be the best, it's this drive that will help them through life, the bit of paper they're holding onto isn't worth half that.
    /thread

It's pretty much a fact that skills that you can not get qualifications in are required to be successful. People are delusional that doing well at school will secure you a good job. My friends Dad got C's or below in his GCSE's and he owns a multimillion business...

Pen
    Enthusiast

My uncle is in the same situation as Skype's. He basically failed High School, and Dropped out of Uni, wen't into the military for 20 years. Came out, and got a job at a Multi-million dollar corporation. Now he's the president of it. Just goes to show that you don't need a truly formal education to get a high paying, highly successful job.

I think not. However, it increases the chances a little. Much depends on the career of your choice though. Also depends on the country in which you wanna work.

I do not know how it is in your country. But in mine, is a good deal to have an academic qualification. It is just something that helps you, not something that you must have...
    D.A.N.G.E.R.O.U.S. A.N.I.M.A.L.S.