Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    lucien is queen Hazzystan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,977

    Legalization of all Recreational Drugs

    This strays away from the marijuana thread, because it's totally different.

    I recently read a book by Ben Elton named "High Society", Which basically advocates the legalisation of all drugs in the form of stories. It shows some pretty good points, and has totally changed my mind about the legal status of drugs in the UK.

    Some of the positive aspects of legalising all drugs would be:
    - Would abolish all drug trafficking, therefore most gangs would collapse.
    - Foreign crime networks would also collapse.
    - Prostitution, which is largely fueled by the illegal drug industry, would be greatly reduced.
    - If taxes were put on the drugs, the economy would benefit a great deal.
    - The spreading of dangerous diseases would greatly reduce, as addicts could freely get clean needles.
    - Many addicts are scared of seeking help in case they are demonised as criminals. This causes them to be seperated from mainstream society, and they often die on the streets. If drugs were legal, addicts would be more confident in seeking help.
    - Government-controlled drugs would ensure that drugs were cut with safe substances, instead of brick, glass and often rat poison.
    - addicts could shoot up in government-controlled clinics, instead of hiding in dangerous alleys, and risking the possibility of being mugged or beaten up.

    Negative aspects of legalising all drugs:
    - The number of addicts would definitely increase, perhaps in great numbers due to a wider access and drugs becoming a social norm.



    Those are just off the top of my head. It may seem biased, but to be honest that's the only negative aspect I can think of. I definitely believe in the legalisation of all recreational drugs in Britain, as the positive arguments seem to obviously far outweigh the negative.

    So, what's the opinion of DD?
    what is homo love?

  2. #2
    Insanity Skype's Avatar



    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    27,397

    Re: Legalization of all Recreational Drugs

    Legalising hard drugs even for recreational use would increase crime rates. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's cheap, or that it wont impact the users job or life.

  3. #3
    lucien is queen Hazzystan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,977

    Re: Legalization of all Recreational Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Legalising hard drugs even for recreational use would increase crime rates. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's cheap, or that it wont impact the users job or life.
    Of course it would increase the number of lives which have been destroyed by drugs, I'm wiling to accept that.The crime rate however, would most likely decrease, not increase. This would be due to the collapse of drug gangs which fuel crime, and also that the cost of drugs would fall very dramatically. This means that addicts wouldn't have to mug, steal, and break into houses daily to fund their habit.
    what is homo love?

  4. #4
    Insanity Skype's Avatar



    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    27,397

    Re: Legalization of all Recreational Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazzystan
    Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Legalising hard drugs even for recreational use would increase crime rates. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's cheap, or that it wont impact the users job or life.
    Of course it would increase the number of lives which have been destroyed by drugs, I'm wiling to accept that.The crime rate however, would most likely decrease, not increase. This would be due to the collapse of drug gangs which fuel crime, and also that the cost of drugs would fall very dramatically. This means that addicts wouldn't have to mug, steal, and break into houses daily to fund their habit.
    How would the legalisation of hard drugs reduce the price.

  5. #5
    Fanatic Enthusiast


    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,125

    Re: Legalization of all Recreational Drugs

    I can't see the price dropping very much. What you lose from getting rid of the illegal aspect of selling, you gain in taxation. So even if it did drop, it wouldn't be dramatic. I'd think it would increase if anything, and it would keep increasing over time, promoting the illegal selling of drugs again.
    I'd be interested in reading the book as it does seem to have some good points, but the fact of the matter is, society is just too corrupt for this to work as planned. There'll always be something or someone that'll screw it up.

  6. #6
    lucien is queen Hazzystan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,977

    Re: Legalization of all Recreational Drugs

    To Skype + Kieryn:
    The price of drugs would reduce because there would be a lot more in circulation; The price of something largely depends on how much of it there is. Also, if the government taxed the drugs any more than the illegal price of them, then the black markets would stay in business so the taxes could never be higher as the government would probably be scared of losing out financially. But who knows about taxation, we'd have to try it to really find out.
    what is homo love?

  7. #7
    Insanity Skype's Avatar



    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    27,397

    Re: Legalization of all Recreational Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazzystan
    To Skype + Kieryn:
    The price of drugs would reduce because there would be a lot more in circulation; The price of something largely depends on how much of it there is. Also, if the government taxed the drugs any more than the illegal price of them, then the black markets would stay in business so the taxes could never be higher as the government would probably be scared of losing out financially. But who knows about taxation, we'd have to try it to really find out.
    That's not true. There's a fuck load of bread and a fuck load of companies that make bread, and supermarket bread is still very expensive.

    It being legalised and the government taking control of the sale of drugs will not result in it being cheaper.

    Medicine is another good example. A lot of it is synthesised and it's still expensive.

    If anything legal drugs will be more expensive because land will have to be put aside to grow it (for the drugs that need growing) and labs etc will have to be made for drugs created through synthesis.

    And legalising drugs for rec. use will not lower gang/crime rates. If the government were to handle the sale of drugs that means the money made from this will not be going into the criminal's pocket. They'll still remain.

  8. #8
    lucien is queen Hazzystan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,977

    Re: Legalization of all Recreational Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    That's not true. There's a fuck load of bread and a fuck load of companies that make bread, and supermarket bread is still very expensive.

    It being legalised and the government taking control of the sale of drugs will not result in it being cheaper.

    Medicine is another good example. A lot of it is synthesised and it's still expensive.

    If anything legal drugs will be more expensive because land will have to be put aside to grow it (for the drugs that need growing) and labs etc will have to be made for drugs created through synthesis.
    If bread was illegal, and some underground gangs had secret mills where a small amount of illegal bread was produced, and some exported it through smugglers swallowing lumps of bread stuffed into condoms and travelling from Holland, which, was the only country in Europe which legalised bread. You could buy small lumps of bread from dealers who hung around at the street corners of housing estates. You would probably agree with me that bread would be extremely expensive; More expensive than supermarket bread.

    But if the government took bread production under their control, and taxed it, every shop across the country could be selling bread freely, and was selling it. Government mills were put in place, and even private companies were allowed to sell their own bread as long as it was taxed and it was of sufficient standard. Under which law do you think bread would be more expensive?


    Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    And legalising drugs for rec. use will not lower gang/crime rates. If the government were to handle the sale of drugs that means the money made from this will not be going into the criminal's pocket. They'll still remain.
    It would most likely lower gang/crime rates. For one, drugs wouldn't be controlled by gangs, This means that gangs wouldn't be killing each other and addicts who don't pay over them. Gangs also wouldn't have to guard the drugs anymore, or their drug dens, which means less weapons and gang members on the streets.

    Another reason that crime would reduce is that addicts who are treated as criminals and kicked away from mainstream society often develop a hatred for the police, and the law. This attitude encourages addicts to break laws for drug money. If society won't accept them and treats them like shit, what's the point in obeying it's rules?
    what is homo love?

  9. #9
    Insanity Skype's Avatar



    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    27,397

    Re: Legalization of all Recreational Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazzystan
    If bread was illegal, and some underground gangs had secret mills where a small amount of illegal bread was produced, and some exported it through smugglers swallowing lumps of bread stuffed into condoms and travelling from Holland, which, was the only country in Europe which legalised bread. You could buy small lumps of bread from dealers who hung around at the street corners of housing estates. You would probably agree with me that bread would be extremely expensive; More expensive than supermarket bread.

    But if the government took bread production under their control, and taxed it, every shop across the country could be selling bread freely, and was selling it. Government mills were put in place, and even private companies were allowed to sell their own bread as long as it was taxed and it was of sufficient standard. Under which law do you think bread would be more expensive?
    No, you said price is based on the availability of something. I was not using bread as an example for how pricing of it would be affected if it were illegal and supplied like drugs, I was proving what you said was wrong.

    The availability of something will not determine the price. The production process, taxing and "brand" will determine the price. Availability will play a factor but not as dramatic as you're making out to be.


    It would most likely lower gang/crime rates. For one, drugs wouldn't be controlled by gangs, This means that gangs wouldn't be killing each other and addicts who don't pay over them. Gangs also wouldn't have to guard the drugs anymore, or their drug dens, which means less weapons and gang members on the streets.
    Drugs wouldn't be controlled by gangs, which is exactly why gangs and crime would remain. Gangs will still remain as drugs is not all they deal in. There are still territorial gangs and weapons trade gangs (the more serious stuff).

    They would still have to guard their drugs and their drug dens. Legalising something wont remove the illegal purchase side of it.

    For example, TV's and apple products are stolen and sold over a black market for a lot cheaper than they are at retail. The same kind of thing would be applied to drugs if they were legal.

    For one, their drug dens and drugs would still have to be guarded due to only recreational use being legal. Non-government supply would still be illegal and so would their non-government drug labs / grow rooms.

    The gangs or original drug dealers would boast better produce than what the government would supply, and a lot of good dealers have many customers, and if he's a good dealer, a lot of them would be loyal and continue buying from him. If one dealer is making a lot of profit from continuous illegal sales then there will be competition between dealers and in result competition between gangs (aimed more outside england, I don't know of many large gangs that deal drugs in a serious way).

    Another reason that crime would reduce is that addicts who are treated as criminals and kicked away from mainstream society often develop a hatred for the police, and the law. This attitude encourages addicts to break laws for drug money. If society won't accept them and treats them like shit, what's the point in obeying it's rules?
    The legalisation of recreational drugs will not mean that the user/addict is accepted by society. The only thing that will change is that they will not be breaking the law.

    Even recreational use of a hard drug can ruin a person, them being legal wont stop it ruining them or turning them into an addict. Addictions lead to a higher want for the drug resulting in more money being spent and if the addict does not have a well paying job to fund the addiction, crime and petty theft to get their fix will remain.

  10. #10
    Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LB CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Legalization of all Recreational Drugs

    weed is one thing, but i dont want to see hardcore drugs like crack or heroin being legalized. im sure if the harder drugs were legalized our youth would be able to get their hands on it a lot easier, i cant imagine seeing 13+ year olds pick up the crack pipe instead of smoking a little herb.
    [center:g01jqkvr][/center:g01jqkvr]


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •