Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Slide

[loh-key-shuhn] n; a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Genetically Modified Foods

I just did a report on this, and I thought it would be a fun thing to debate, so....

What do you think about GM foods? Many of the food you see on the shelves at the grocery store contain at least some genetically modified ingredients. One of the biggest issues with this is that you have no way of telling if they contain GM ingredients or not. As of now, there aren't any laws that force companies to label their GM foods. Some believe that that should be required. Some people also believe that GM foods shouldn't be allowed at all, because it is entirely possible for an allergen or some other deadly ingredient to slip through scans.

Another fact is that these foods can actually contribute to the growing problem of antibiotic resistance. This is because when a scientist creates a genetically modified organism they have to include a marker gene so the organims can be easily tested to see if the transfer worked. The best way to do this is to have the gene code for antibiotic resistance. If a bacteria were to eat this food, they could gain the resistance.

These foods can also cause a loss of biological diversity. Some GMO's can become invasive and choke out all of the plants in the surrounding area. Transgenic traits can also, in some instances, be transferred to other organisms. It is possible for the new organism to overrun the original species, killing it off entirely. Although there are some technologies in place to stop this, many argue that they are ineffective.

Of course, the organims have obvious benefits. There are tomatoes that stay ripe longer, rice that contains crucial vitamins that could save lives in Africa, build-in pesticides, bananas containing vaccines, and so much more. The foods could end world hunger and malnutrition. Some foods prevent cancer, high blood pressure, and help with many other conditions. Not only that, but most of the agruments against it are all "what if" statements, with nothing to back them up but the fact that it could happen.

So, now that you have some background information, what do you think?

Fanatic Enthusiast Flaming Wolf's Avatar

Re: Genetically Modified Foods

Just kinda saying.. I don't really care what's in my food so long as it doesn't damage my system. I think it's fair to say that if I had to be worried about something in my food harming me, it'd be a selmonella outbreak. Not the artificial products in my food. Read the labels, check the ingredients, maybe do some research, and as long nothing kills you, don't worry about it.
    [center:3m01loo1]CHECK IT OUT, I'M BACK
    ^THREAD^[/center:3m01loo1]

I don't know why everyone seems to think that if a bacteria were to eat a genetically modified plant, it would get some of the plant's attributes. I'd love to be able to eat a cabbage and have it imbue me with it's leafy powers. That's not quite how bacteriological processes work, though. Fortunately.

I have no issue with GM foods. Mostly because there's nothing that can harm a person in them. Most of the time all of the modifications they add are for added resistance to insects or for larger yields and the like. There are some issues with natural wildlife, granted, but it can't possibly be difficult to keep track of your own crops- it's not like we've got corn spreading via spore clouds; potatoes leaping from the ground and crossing vast distances to spread their kind. It's a very boring, very stable thing.
    SA$_/AI%20has log[d in.
    > S&ys|BT
    > P_s word?
    > OMEGA
    >> A^e_%20_u su!e? (Y/N)
    > Y
    >> S##t m_ Rebooting. Hello, Samuel.

^what he said

In order for a bacteria to gain the resistance that gm food's have would take several generations since modern science proves that in order for anything to evolve to survive generations that go through situations will over time adapt. Fortunately, scientist who gm food also monitor the effect of bacteria when they decompose said gm food. they note the development over the generation of the bacteria along side of the gm food in tests. Scientist are able to modify the genetically modified food to aid in preventing any slip ups.

Thus, before any new developments/are released into the human kind they go under vigorous testing to be sure that no harm to humans can develop over time. of course there can be times where there's an major change in the ecosystem or what ever that can speed up changes, but with Today's modern science each product is sampled thoroughly before releasing to the public.

*You must be prepared for harsh critique. What I offer is in sight on what you should of done and you may get a offended, but you must understand if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen of art.

I don't like it. I like real food that hasn't been touched by chemicals or whatever. Food that isn't really made out of pink paste and leftover fat. But, I gotta eat somethin ya know. So I say, whatever.
    [center:ilj85xlc]
    l- Thread -l- Youtube -l- Bot Clan -l- Pivotspace -l- M3rkury -l[/center:ilj85xlc]

Quote Originally Posted by EONS
    I don't like it. I like real food that hasn't been touched by chemicals or whatever. Food that isn't really made out of pink paste and leftover fat. But, I gotta eat somethin ya know. So I say, whatever.
    you've completely misunderstanding the whole genetically modified food. What it is not chemically made food from paste and leftover fat, but the altering of the DNA/genetics of the product to resist common diseases that can kill the product.

I'd I had a tomato example, but it may be wrong so any who yeah.

*You must be prepared for harsh critique. What I offer is in sight on what you should of done and you may get a offended, but you must understand if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen of art.

Slide

[loh-key-shuhn] n; a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Quote Originally Posted by Xenomorph
    I don't know why everyone seems to think that if a bacteria were to eat a genetically modified plant, it would get some of the plant's attributes. I'd love to be able to eat a cabbage and have it imbue me with it's leafy powers. That's not quite how bacteriological processes work, though. Fortunately.
    I am all for genetic engineering, but that makes sense to me. Antibiotic resistance comes from the bacteria taking antibiotics in doses. That's what's happening with the GM food; the bacteria are taking it in small doses. Even though the foods code for the resistance and not the antibiotic itself, it still seems possible in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Lotion
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenomorph
    I am all for genetic engineering, but that makes sense to me. Antibiotic resistance comes from the bacteria taking antibiotics in doses. That's what's happening with the GM food; the bacteria are taking it in small doses. Even though the foods code for the resistance and not the antibiotic itself, it still seems possible in my mind.
    What you're talking about is building up a tolerance, not a resistance. And that is not passed from one generation to another. If a mother builds up a tolerance to say, methamphetamines, it isn't passed to the baby, as it isn't genetic, but rather biological.

Hence, there's no real risk of multi-generational resistance.
    SA$_/AI%20has log[d in.
    > S&ys|BT
    > P_s word?
    > OMEGA
    >> A^e_%20_u su!e? (Y/N)
    > Y
    >> S##t m_ Rebooting. Hello, Samuel.

I did a report on GMOs once for science class too. There are very few downsides if any, considering that they make fruits and vegetables stronger, more resistant, and faster growing. It helps to solve a lot of problems, especially in areas where the weather affects what can be grown. Plants can be genetically modified to grow with less water, or in hotter climates. The biggest problem that I can think of off the top of my head is an economic one. The corporations that make them can patent the genes and the modifications for them, and then sell them at unreasonable prices where they're needed.

Theres actually nothing wrong with GM crops/food. It's simply changing the DNA to make it more resistant to disease, grow larger and have longer shelf lifes. The only people who are scared are the people who do not fully understand it.

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.