Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Westburo Baptist Church

Quote Originally Posted by rubbish
    If a debate exists on this topic, it'd probably be over whether there should be limitations on America's freedom of speech. Considering that WBC hasn't physically harmed anyone shows that their protest, by the court's definition, is "peaceful." We also don't have federal anti-discrimination laws to protect members of the LGBT community among others they've threatened.
    Here's the thing though and I clearly stated it in one of the first posts in this topic:

There is a fine line between what you are limited to in terms of Freedom of Speech before it can be considered defamation of character. What they are doing is defamation of character and should not be considered a part of Freedom of Speech because they are mentally attacking grieving families at funerals of their loved ones who are in the armed forces just because they deem it immoral by their standards. Granted, they aren't physically attacking anyone, but it's still fucking sick to see what they are doing because at a funeral, you are supposed to pay your respects to the grieving families, not picket them for the hell of it because "God hates Soldiers" and doesn't abide by your "religion".
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by ChAoZ
    Quote Originally Posted by rubbish
    If a debate exists on this topic, it'd probably be over whether there should be limitations on America's freedom of speech. Considering that WBC hasn't physically harmed anyone shows that their protest, by the court's definition, is "peaceful." We also don't have federal anti-discrimination laws to protect members of the LGBT community among others they've threatened.
    Here's the thing though and I clearly stated it in one of the first posts in this topic:

There is a fine line between what you are limited to in terms of Freedom of Speech before it can be considered defamation of character. What they are doing is defamation of character and should not be considered a part of Freedom of Speech because they are mentally attacking grieving families at funerals of their loved ones who are in the armed forces just because they deem it immoral by their standards. Granted, they aren't physically attacking anyone, but it's still fucking sick to see what they are doing because at a funeral, you are supposed to pay your respects to the grieving families, not picket them for the hell of it because "God hates Soldiers" and doesn't abide by your "religion".
    Actually, the westboro baptist church is very careful in ensuring that they don't use defamation of character; Saying "Thank god for dead soldiers" Isn't defamation, as it's a subjective statement. Although it may be hurtful to the family, it isn't declaring something to be falsely true, it's only a show of opinion. As disgusting as Westboro may be, they've so far stayed inside the law, and just because someone's opinion is "sick" Doesn't provide suitable grounds for outlawing it.
    what is homo love?

Quote Originally Posted by ChAoZ
    ....you are supposed to pay your respects to the grieving families, not picket them for the hell of it because "God hates Soldiers" and doesn't abide by your "religion".
    As I said before, if there's any debate, it'd be over whether freedom of speech needs further limitations. I don't think there's anyone here (so far, at least) that disagrees with the notion that these people are sick and that it's wrong to picket soldiers while hiding behind the face of religion, but that's what they're doing and sadly, that's why they're getting away with it. The federal decision of Snyder v. Phelps (WBC), which addressed the WBC for picketing a military funeral, finalized that the WBC was not guilty of defamation or invasion of privacy on the grounds that their signs were subjective and that they were addressing the "public" issue (this is where the first amendment comes in) of homosexuality in the military. Referencing what Hazzystan said, there was no defamation of character considering that their signs say "GOD hates _____" and "GOD laughs at ____" instead of saying that "fags are pedophiles" or anything else that isn't statistically true.

However, if you watched Louis Theroux's documentary The Most Hated Family In America, you can see where the presenter picks out a sign from the WBC home library that states "Fags Eat Poop," which is considered a defamation of character. If and when the WBC decide to use that in public and they're sued, they have a higher chance of losing the case.

Enthusiast
    An ancient ravine on an abandoned planet, tending to the daffodils

It's pretty sad how much they pervert a religion that was meant to promote peace and forgiveness, but there are extremists in every religion.

They're a terrible example for the rest of the Christian community, and in no way do they represent the rest of Christianity. It kind of makes me mad when kids associate the Westboro Baptist Church to make out Christianity to be an evil religion, much like how people use Al Queda to say that Muslims are all homicidal killers.

Devoted Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclon
    It's pretty sad how much they pervert a religion that was meant to promote peace and forgiveness, but there are extremists in every religion.
    Whenever I see them they're holding up signs with quotes from the bible. Or are we doing the usual thing where we ignore all the horrible things 'god' did in the bible?

They're a terrible example for the rest of the Christian community, and in no way do they represent the rest of Christianity. It kind of makes me mad when kids associate the Westboro Baptist Church to make out Christianity to be an evil religion, much like how people use Al Queda to say that Muslims are all homicidal killers.
    yeah i completely agree its bullshit to say that eg every priest touches little boys or that all christians hate gays or they all believe that evolution disproves god cus im a catholic who believes in evolution and that gay marriages should be legalised and i only ever go to church on christmas eve and easter and its the same with all religions everyone follows them there own way and forgive me for quoting south park here but the episode where the south park priest is thought to be molesting everyone and goes to the vatican and shows te errors that people have made to religeon because whenever someone tries to say anything bad about someones religion they are called heathens imo religion should be about faith and not pushing your faith apon others

xXDaReeperXx Thread Click here
    http://darkdemon.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86742

xxXDaReeperXxxx

Quote Originally Posted by xXDaReeperXx

yeah i completely agree its bullshit to say that eg every priest touches little boys or that all christians hate gays or they all believe that evolution disproves god cus im a catholic who believes in evolution and that gay marriages should be legalised and i only ever go to church on christmas eve and easter and its the same with all religions everyone follows them there own way and forgive me for quoting south park here but the episode where the south park priest is thought to be molesting everyone and goes to the vatican and shows te errors that people have made to religeon because whenever someone tries to say anything bad about someones religion they are called heathens imo religion should be about faith and not pushing your faith apon others
    Never post here. Ever again. Ever. Thing is, they're following the bible to the tee.

I have read somewhere that Westbro Baptist Church does all this form money.

Notice that a lot of them are lawyers. They're promoting hate so that people would sue or something to them. The WBC will use their lawyers to win against those and earn money off of it.

I read somewhere that they're not even religous.

I forgot the source, but I'll try to find it.

EDIT:

Therefore the best thing to do is to not talk about them. The bigger they are, the richer they get.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by xXDaReeperXx

Never post here. Ever again. Ever. Thing is, they're following the bible to the tee.
    oh just fuck off sticky

xXDaReeperXx Thread Click here
    http://darkdemon.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86742

xxXDaReeperXxxx

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast