Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

View Poll Results: The universe.....

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Goes on forever and ever

5 50.00%
  • Is like the earth

5 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Universe

Dedicated Member

The Universe

does the universe go on forever and ever?

or

is it like the earth....if you keep moving in one direction....you end up back where you were?

It's like a 4th dimensional sphere.

My Animations - Courtesy ?
    I do pixel animations as well. Check here

Heh. This is something I was just thinking of. It's a big debate with scientists, and it has to do a lot with the amount of matter that's in the universe on average.

There are 3 types of universes that can be what ours is: flat, spherical, and parabolic.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:End_of_universe.jpg
    Handy diagram. From top to bottom they are: spherical, flat, and you guessed it: parabolic.

If you imagine the universe as 2 dimensions these are easier to visualize.

Flat universe would be a normal 2d grid. No image needed.

Spherical universe would be as if you put the grid on a globe and looked at it from the center; the grid would appear to bulge in the middle but shrink as it goes further out.

Parabolic universe is a little hard. Imagine like the spherical universe model, but instead, the gridlines get farther apart as you go out.

Scientists say there's just enough matter in the universe to give it the spherical shape, where gravity pulls the universe into a slight curve. And that's the only one where the universe will loop around on itself in the long term.

second option ftw

Dedicated Member
    ..............my head hurts................. confused_)

SX - Total spam this = Warned

I think it goes on forever, like the parabolic theory.
    I don't think there is a limit to the amount of matter in the universe, I think it's infinite, and there are infinite galaxies, spread over an infinite amount of open space. And this universe is on a different "frequency" than other universes which also stretch forever.

Not a popular theory, but it sounds right to me. ^_^
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. ~Mark Twain

Click the animation above to visit.

I didn't say there was a limit btw, but there IS an average amount of matter in any given area of space that would normally point to that the universe doesn't go on forever. This has been extensively researched as well. I win!

I believe in the multiverse theorie. The theorie that our universe is just a bubble. And outside that bubble, is a bunch of other bubbles. And all of those bubble are in a bigger bubble too. So, in essence, "the univers", or more specifically our universe, is limited. I also believe that the picture at the top left hand corner of the screen of the forums is poorly drawn-ish
    I'm gay.

Dedicated Member
    I also support the multi univi facts ive seen many sites

614th post on 2/24 2:14

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Smashdood
    I didn't say there was a limit btw, but there IS an average amount of matter in any given area of space that would normally point to that the universe doesn't go on forever. This has been extensively researched as well. I win!
    But what would happen at the very end of the universe? Like, what would be there and how could it end? Like, nothing there, no air and stuff, but would it be dark or light (but there would be none)? Ahh wtf. It's anoter thing that we'll never understand fully I believe.

[add me @ jjknox@gmail.com]

Read it again. I said there IS no end, anywhere. Go in one direction for some time (a very very long time) and you'll eventually end up where you started.

Simplified version - it's like we're on the inside of a globe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast