Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill S.978

Bill S.978

[youtube:5r3t1p3q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib7-vSrp6y8&feature=feedu[/youtube:5r3t1p3q]
    I'm honestly at a loss for words right now considering this is going to effect the way we upload our video content on sites like JustinTV or YouTube if this shit gets passed through the United States government and big name sites have to start enforcing it on everyone in different countries.

For those of you who don't know what Bill S.978 is or didn't watch the video by David [X for short], I will copy and paste the bill in its entirety and then provide a link to this so you know that I'm not making this shit up.

May 12, 2011 - Reported in Senate. This is the text of the bill after coming out of committee in the Senate. This is the latest version of the bill currently available on GovTrack.

S 978 RS

Calendar No. 77

112th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 978

To amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

May 12, 2011

Ms. KLOBUCHAR (for herself, Mr. CORNYN, and Mr. COONS) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

June 20 (legislative day, June 16), 2011

Reported by Mr. LEAHY, without amendment

A BILL

To amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. CRIMINAL INFRINGEMENT OF A COPYRIGHT.

(a) Amendments to Section 2319 of Title 18- Section 2319 of title 18, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in subsection (b)--

(A) by redesignating paragraphs (2) and (3) as paragraphs (3) and (4), respectively; and

(B) by inserting after paragraph (1) the following:

‘(2) shall be imprisoned not more than 5 years, fined in the amount set forth in this title, or both, if--

‘(A) the offense consists of 10 or more public performances by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copyrighted works; and

‘(B)(i) the total retail value of the performances, or the total economic value of such public performances to the infringer or to the copyright owner, would exceed $2,500; or

‘(ii) the total fair market value of licenses to offer performances of those works would exceed $5,000;’; and

(2) in subsection (f), by striking paragraph (2) and inserting the following:

‘(2) the terms ‘reproduction’, ‘distribution’, and ‘public performance’ refer to the exclusive rights of a copyright owner under clauses (1), (3), (4), and (6), respectively of section 106 (relating to exclusive rights in copyrighted works), as limited by sections 107 through 122, of title 17;’.

(b) Amendment to Section 506 of Title 17- Section 506(a) of title 17, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in paragraph (1)(C), by inserting ‘or public performance’ after ‘distribution’ the first place it appears; and

(2) in paragraph (3)--

(A) in subparagraph (A), by inserting ‘or public performance’ after ‘unauthorized distribution’; and

(B) in subparagraph (B), by inserting ‘or public performance’ after ‘distribution’.

Calendar No. 77

112th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 978

A BILL

June 20 (legislative day, June 16), 2011

Reported without amendment
    SOURCE
    This means that anything that has been uploaded on YouTube without legal copyright permissions, will result in possible felony charges and would change the way that we upload our commentaries, reviews, etc. It might not seem like a big deal to some, but this bill would affect a lot of big name sites because they would either have to obtain the copyrights to a product just to be uploaded by a single person or they would have to remove everything that pertains to what this bill states and affect the lives of those who make a living off of what they enjoy doing as it is protected under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and Fair Use.

I will state one thing, do not pull the country card in any posts. Keep in mind that if this bill is passed, sites like YouTube will have to abide by these standards which means it will affect everyone.

Discuss.
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

Re: Bill S.978

Does this count global, or just America?

The maker of the video is totally right, Let's Play video's usually make or not make me buy a videogame.

But it also counts for movies, If you watch some really cool parts of a movie, you might want to consider buying it too. On youtube, they usually just upload things like fight scenes, or any other outstanding parts of the movie which make you interrested. Though, Sites that actually stream ENTIRE films on the internet for free, without having the rights to do so are very wrong and should obviously be punished.
    | Pivot | Artwork | Youtube |
    DD Achievements:
    Spoiler:

Beginner:
    • 16 august 2008

Intermediate:
    • 9 January 2009

Veteran:
    • 28 June 2010

666 Posts:
    • 3 July 2010

1000 Posts:
    • 12 November 2010

2000 Posts:
    • 30 March 2011

3000 Posts:
    • 25 December 2011

4000 Posts:
    • 19 November 2012

Vip:
    • 15 July 2010
      Special thanks to Arch

Myfiles:
    • 29 October 2010
      Special thanks to Mango

2 Month ban:
    • 16 July 2010
      Special thanks to Skype

On moments like these, you're happy to have UPC on Demand.

This is childsplay compared to the strike bill and other shit they're trying to pass. Either way, I doubt congress will let it through.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavo
    Does this count global, or just America?

The maker of the video is totally right, Let's Play video's usually make or not make me buy a videogame.

But it also counts for movies, If you watch some really cool parts of a movie, you might want to consider buying it too. On youtube, they usually just upload things like fight scenes, or any other outstanding parts of the movie which make you interrested. Though, Sites that actually stream ENTIRE films on the internet for free, without having the rights to do so are very wrong and should obviously be punished.
    It will affect America, but sites like YouTube will have to abide by the standards of this bill and will have to cease-and-desist on the content that their uploaders do that follow anything in the aforementioned bill which will affect all versions of a site.

This is complete bull.
    Those videos are what I ALWAYS use before I buy something. Like if I'm thinking of buying a video game, or usually any product, I ALWAYS look up reviews. & if this passes, people will watch less videos on youtube, users will leave, and eventually, bye youtube.

Edit: Did I exaggerate that?
    [center:n6wbk0q1][/center:n6wbk0q1]

Quote Originally Posted by Kokojo
    This is complete bull.
    Those videos are what I ALWAYS use before I buy something. Like if I'm thinking of buying a video game, or usually any product, I ALWAYS look up reviews. & if this passes, people will watch less videos on youtube, users will leave, and eventually, bye youtube.

Edit: Did I exaggerate that?
    Yea, because youtube's only source of views are 1337n0sc0pezXxX and vidya.

It won't happen. The game companies get too much popularity due to such videos and they would only lose sales.

Either way, woohoo censorship...
    [center:hn9zn80r][/center:hn9zn80r]

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper
    It won't happen. The game companies get too much popularity due to such videos and they would only lose sales.

Either way, woohoo censorship...
    They would have to heavily edit the material in the bill for it to pass through U.S Congress since they are trying to protect people from streaming music and movies on the internet which is the bill's intent. Since the wording was so horrible, they said all copyrighted materials which includes video games.

That's OK because the pirate bay is Swedish and the site I watch movies online is Bulgarian.
    I don't watch that much let's plays and walkthroughs and what not, but I do enjoy them once in a while.
    Plus, only 1% of people actually voted for it, so I doubt that it'll pass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast