Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fly
    Enthusiast

Agree with Intermediate "Rectification"?

People are blowing up the Intermediate Chat over this. Haha heres a thread for it, post your opinions over the situation here. Though, they most likely won't change.

who cares

Re: Agree with Intermediate "Rectification"?

In my opinion I feel this is lowering the standards a bit, but it's the staff's decision to modify the standards, and they know what they are doing.
    nope
    steam id: specialbacon

I have negative feelings towards this, but at the same time I just kinda don't really care about it.

It's like a fly landing on your hot dog, you don't like it but you eat it anyways.

Fanatic Enthusiast

Standards needed to be lowered, people like 'Mars41, Obisam, DD15X, Cressel... (from top of head) don't get enough recognition for their animations, Mars is fucking insane... So idk what the fuss is about
    I dont even know if im taking about the right thing but hey...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vagiC
    Standards needed to be lowered, people like 'Mars41, Obisam, DD15X, Cressel... (from top of head) don't get enough recognition for their animations, Mars is fucking insane... So idk what the fuss is about
    I dont even know if im taking about the right thing but hey...
    Yeah totally man. Standards should be lowered in that respect.

By the way, this isn't the first time standards have dropped for the Intermediate section. People like Mars etc. were the average quality of an Intermediate back in '08-'09. There was only a new Veteran or two every year. Having as many new Veteran move ups as lately is unheard of.

Also, getting Intermediate with movement tests was unheard of too. To get there you had to prove that you could be consistent. (for me it was with my 5000 frame DBZ animation)

So, while this can be a good thing for activity, I still seriously believe a new rank should be achieved with a long-ish animation. This way it encourages entertainment value and length. Tone down the ranks a bit, but also find a way where it sits nicely with entertainment value as well. Finding that balance would be a great thing.

I love it. Now, I should be able to reach Inters before I die. But, really I did think that the standards were a bit to high
    Money

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by StargateSG
    I love it. Now, I should be able to reach Inters before I die. But, really I did think that the standards were a bit to high
    Agreed, the standards were a bit high imo, even though there are many moveups now there won't be later.

I'll just post what I posted in Intermediate Chat. Also, Krustalien already owned me in this argument so there's no use in flaming.

Quote Originally Posted by High-Octane
    I totally get what your saying Krustalien and Mavs, but the challenge needs to be difficult to keep people going. Outside of DarkDemon, many people consider DarkDemon to be an overall challenge. They gossip on how the difficulty is more challenging and they decide to join the website because they want to be the best. Now, if this continues, it makes DD seem like a lesser forum, where the ranking system is easier. Now, the new ranking system being the case, you have at least seven more members to the intermediate area. In time, that will cause loads of spam. Now, don't take this literally, but If i was moved up on a lowered ranking system, I'd rather be a beginner and then earn a move-up. But now that won't work, because I'm above the current standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavs
    Ok guys, the point is we give the intermediate such high standards that there is only minimal difference in a an intermediates animation skill to a veterans, this way it is not that difficult to gain a rank.

I will put this at a graphical stand point.

Beg.----------------Inter---Vet

This is how we treated the intermediates.

Beg.---------Inter----------Vet

This how the intermediate should be treated, can animate well and has a good knowledge of spacing, movements and basic effects.
    This makes sense, but I still don't like it. If the beginners were closer to the veterans when moved up, then when they get veterans, their animating skill should be exceptional. And so on. the challenge allows the animator to push the limits of their animating skill. Recently, the move-ups have caught most users to surprise, because they weren't totally working for intermediate. People at their standpoint already know the standard for Intermediate, so they are still working to get better. For example, look at OblivionFall's Pac3 entry. It was far above the intermediate standard, and probably still is today. In reality, the graphical standpoint was still
    Beg.---------Inter----------Vet,
    because when someone got intermediate, it was even more difficult to become Veteran. Thus creating incredibly skilled veterans. Now don't get me wrong, We still have great veterans, but all I'm trying to say is,
    Enhanced Difficulty= Better animators
    [center:2fs84nzu][/center:2fs84nzu]
    [center:2fs84nzu]------------OCTANE------------[/center:2fs84nzu]

Chief Turd

As a staff member, I 100% agree with the lowering of the standards of intermediate. Intermediate was always meant to be the rank for people who had a good understanding of the basics. However, we'd let it get to the point where you needed to have detailed movements, detailed backgrounds, shit loads of special effects, etc to get intermediate. All we did was lower the standards to where they're meant to be. You shouldn't need to be a pro at FX or detailed movements to get intermediate, although if you fall a bit short in one area, an area of exception in FX or 3D can be used to compensate. Intermediates just need to fully understand the basics. Veterans are the ones who need to be really fucking good.

The rectification of the intermediate is quite fair. for a lot of us who have stuck in the beginners hall for the past 2-5 years who are active and despite the increase of the ugly mess that we had of the standards of intermediate, we were falling short of being intermediate. I fell in this falling short several times in the past and for me the hope wasn't there and others and I who were trying our damnest to get it were then being buried by new beginners.

This new ratification of the standards will most likely create some kind of new fire in a lot of us and will become available to get more views and critique from the community. like everyone else stated....if you don't like it....go some where else.

*You must be prepared for harsh critique. What I offer is in sight on what you should of done and you may get a offended, but you must understand if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen of art.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast