Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Positive Racism

Positive Racism

This could have gone in the Racism thread already up and running, but I want to focus more on positive racism.

The reason behind this is my friend who is applying at Auckland University got a guidebook or whatever where it tells you about the courses, more specifically for him Psychology. Now in this book it practically segregated Maori and Pacific Islanders. There was a separate room for them to inquire about the courses. In the guidebook thing, it also said that they had their own study area and dedicated people to help them study.

This seems unfair towards everybody else when people are supposed to be treated equally, they are being given extra benefits simply because of where they are from and their skin colour. I believe this could provoke a negative attitude towards them because of this. If anything the New Zealand government is violating our human rights.

So what are your thoughts on positive racism, and is it happening anywhere else?
    R.I.P Grace - 18 November 1997 - 14 March 2011

|PM Me |My Thread |Request a Move Up |Report a Rulebreaker |The Rules |

Re: Positive Racism

Seems to be straight up racism... don't really see how this is "positive" racism? Explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Krustalien
    Seems to be straight up racism... don't really see how this is "positive" racism? Explain?
    Yes it is still just racism, but people usually pick up on negative racism like "You can't afford shoes because you are black", shit like that. This is giving people more opportunities and benefits simply because they are of a different race. It isn't a social thing, it is a government backed thing, which is what frustrates me, as they get more benefits simply because of their skin colour.

You could argue that people from Europe who colonised other countries considered themselves better at one point. But let's push that aside, this is now, where we are supposed to be over racism and treat everybody equally, yet that is not being done by a modern government. New Zealand has a Human Rights Commission, yet they still abuse it for positive racism.

TL;DR

Positive Racism
    - More benefits
    - Easier access to resources
    - Extra help with education
    - Cheaper housing
    - Less Tax

Negative Racism
    - Denied access to resources based on skin colour
    - Poor living conditions due to skin colour
    - Increased tax because of skin colour

etc

Doesn't make much sense, does it? Those who are "benefiting" may not be benefiting. They may be treated normally, and those who are not benefiting are in fact worse-off, lower than the other group.

You're seeing it as base level is here (group 1): ___ and the other group (2) is here ---- meaning they're above the standard, and so it's positive.

I see it as this is the level (group 2): ---- and the 1st group is here: ___
    ...suddenly that's negative racism.

Ah fuck I can't explain this.

It's positive from group 2's perspective and it's negative from group 1's perspective. I don't think there is such thing as positive racism, because for something to be affected positively something else must be affected negatively, or less well. This is just racism.

I don't think there is such thing as positive racism, because for something to be affected positively something else must be affected negatively, or less well. This is just racism.
    Yet others are being treated differently (referring back to the University case). Every other race receives now extra help, just the Maori and Pacific Islanders. Specific rooms just for Maori and Pacific Islanders, when everybody else is in the same room and extra help specially for those Maori and Pacific Islander students. It is called positive racism because they are valuing one race above others while not necessarily shunning others, they are just not allowing them access to extra benefits due to their race.

Devoted Veteran

"Positive racism" to one group is negative racism to all others.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelshark
    I don't think there is such thing as positive racism, because for something to be affected positively something else must be affected negatively, or less well. This is just racism.
    Yet others are being treated differently (referring back to the University case). Every other race receives now extra help, just the Maori and Pacific Islanders. Specific rooms just for Maori and Pacific Islanders, when everybody else is in the same room and extra help specially for those Maori and Pacific Islander students. It is called positive racism because they are valuing one race above others while not necessarily shunning others, they are just not allowing them access to extra benefits due to their race.
    This isn't my point. Those groups are not being treated BETTER, the other group is being treated WORSE.

I can't explain it in any other way. They don't receive extra help, it's just the other group receive less help, making it, if anything, negative racism. Which is just racism.

In like my race the best, really. White people are more tame than other races. Now I'm not generalizing on any race, it's just the way I see things, and I agree on everything Camel said, giving people bigger privileges because of their ethnicity (not just skin color) is pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Markec
    White people are more tame than other races.
    What?

Also, what Camel is trying to say that this is positive and beneficial discrimination towards a MINORITY. Meaning it's "negative" racism towards anyone outside of that smaller ethnicity.

That said, any type of racism and discrimination, whether beneficial or not, is backwards. Nobody should be treated differently because of their inherited physical appearance or where they come from. Ethnicity doesn't make a man; the man makes of himself what he wishes, and should be able to do so without being restricted by nonsensical racist rules society throws upon them.
    [center:13w2rfcr]My Thread (updated 26/1/11!)[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr][/center:13w2rfcr] [center:13w2rfcr]Skype: lucienpicto[/center:13w2rfcr][center:13w2rfcr]Steam: _picto[/center:13w2rfcr]
    Quote Originally Posted by StargateSG
    But tell me, what is homo love?

Picto said pretty much all there is to say.
    Behaviorally Related Neural Plasticity in the Arthropod Optic Lobes

tumblr | last.fm

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast