Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is "Unnatural?"

Ok...today in English class we were having an open discussion.One of my classmates then mentioned how homosexuality is unnatural.

So then I asked myself: What is unnatural?

This is a question that has really been my main interest for the entire day.I asked some of my friends and they all gave me answers like "Buildings are unnatural." or "Organic foods are unnatural."

Now that right there is wrong to me.

The thing is this...we as humans created buildings using our own hands.The technology we use was created with our bare hands.Like how ants build hills and bees make beehives, we as humans create buildings and such so it should be considered natural.Saying that buildings are unnatural is saying that we, as humans, are unnatural because WE were the ones that made them.What makes humans unnatural then?

Nature...this refers to me, you and the entire universe.Nature means everything.How is it that buildings or organic foods are considered unnatural.The thing is, people think it is unnatural mainly because of the complexity of it.The ant hills and beehives are not very complex...people find them to be rather simple.The reason for this is that we are much more advanced so we can make more complex things.Buildings, organic foods, technology....these things are all natural because of the fact that they were created by us humans.

I believe that the word unnatural was created for the sake of adding a counterweight to the word natural.I mean everything has an opposite: Fat and skinny, dark and light, good and evil, so they might as well have a word for natural too I guess.

Well this is my opinion on this...whats yours?

~Credits to YongWalRang for the Signature <3~

My Youtube

DDC12 Preview

Nobody commenting on your thread? Feel free to PM me for some CC.
    Thanks Sharpshooter for VIP <3
    Thanks Firo for MyFiles <3

Devoted Veteran

Re: What is "Unnatural?"

Buildings aren't natural because they're artificial; created by humans. This isn't really a debate, something which is unnatural isn't natural, that's it.

If something is natural it means it occurs without any human influence. That's all.

Depends on what definition you go by. If the definition is just "something that occurs in nature", then that basically includes everything in the universe. If something that happens even though nature doesn't allow it, it would be supernatural. If the definition you go by is "something that occurs in nature that hasn't been influenced by man", then it speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by BEEPIMATRUCKLOL
    Buildings aren't natural because they're artificial; created by humans. This isn't really a debate, something which is unnatural isn't natural, that's it.
    I don't think you read through his post. If buildings are unnatural because humans made them, then are anthills and beehives unnatural because ants and bees made them? Humans are no less part of the animal kingdom, so I don't see how you can differentiate what we do as unnatural.

In order for your argument to be true, you have to demonstrate that we humans are somehow "above" nature, in which case we'd be supernatural.
    what is homo love?

Phenomena is the key word. Buildings aren't phenomena, they're planned out, thought out. They're not done 'naturally'. Beehives and such are, they happen all around the world because that's bee instinct.

"Nature is indifferent" is the coined term, and I think it applies because it suggests that nature has no planning involved, it just happens. What humans have done was a process thought out and planned.

Unnatural, by definition, is contrary to the ordinary course of nature; abnormal. Pretty much, it's anything that is altered or made through means that nature would not do itself. Since gay people are born gay and they didn't inject themselves with gayness through a syringe, being gay is natural and your classmate is a ignorant douche. Now, if this gay man had injected him self with some chemical and gave him a new body part no one has, he would be unnatural.

Pingu

But doesn't everything that happens occur due to the course of nature? That would still make buildings natural. Humans naturally create infrastructure, as bees and ants makes beehives and anthills. If some other species were to have this debate, would human creations still be considered unnatural? We need to step away from the idea that we're anything apart from nature. Like Hazzystan said, we're part of the animal kingdom.

We as humans, were created from nature(natural). Our knowledge and scientific prowess was naturally advanced through time and practice. The things we build and cause, are natural. If we were to not build and destroy, or act as how humans obviously should, then that is impossible, because acting as such would then considered humanlike. You might consider a human who does not create or adapt as unnatural, but there is a natural reason why. I do not think "unnatural" exists.

For example, let's say a huge zombie epidemic breaks out. We consider humans eating other humans, living among us as living dead as unnatural. But, if there was a cause to a zombie epidemic, it would have to be natural, like a germ or disease. Which is natural.

[the only i might consider unnatural is magic or aliens, and even then i'm unsure]
    [center:2fs84nzu][/center:2fs84nzu]
    [center:2fs84nzu]------------OCTANE------------[/center:2fs84nzu]

I see where you guys are coming from, but unnatural is opposite to the ordinary course of nature. If someone is born with a defect because they were exposed to a chemical or radiation as a fetus, the process happened "naturally" since everything is part of nature, but humans aren't normally, or meant to, be born with a deformity, making it unnatural.

Pingu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast