Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rank System

Fanatic Enthusiast

The Rank System

Do you guys think standards have lowered?
    I've seen a few discussions around the forum from time to time about this, in no way is this about me btw, it's people saying i'm elite when i definatly know that i'm not.
    And when people like Nicepants get elite with a short animation with some 3D in it, and when Lithium never got elite for 2, completely amazing outstanding animations... They were mega long, entertaining, and well made, it just confuses me sometimes, feel free to share your opinions about the ranking system at DD

Re: The Rank System

I honestly think its in the most solid state its been for awhile. Because the ranks slowly escalated towards the point where they didnt make sense.

For instance the word "Intermediate" can be defined as moderate or middle. Yet you had to be a ridiculously solid animator to get intermediate which went against the meaning of the word. I feel like the standards to get inter have lowered and it makes a little more sense now.

As for the standards on elite there's obviously not much I can say about it. But I will say this, I definitely think people should be doing some more mind blowing shit to get elite. Not necessarily being a "one hit wonder". But when you get the point where your a veteran that can produce elite level animations you should have to push yourself over the line with a massive project.
    Moonlight Road: 210/600

I don't think the standards have changed, i just think people rank differently, i get told frequently that i am intermediate yet the rank team disagrees, and that animators that aren't as good as me are the same/better and animators that are better are worse, but they're rare cases xD
    My thread

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    PSN: TestosteroneMong
    Steam: willace997
    PSN: Testosteronemong

ℋope

Quote Originally Posted by vagiC
    Do you guys think standards have lowered?
    Yes, but I still think that everyone who reached the Intermediate rank is one of the top animatiors and belongs to the best 5%.
    I think many people on my level would not be moved up if the requirement for Intermediate would still be the same like it was 1 or 2 years ago.

The standards for inter where weird, as time went on the bar slowly rose and then jumped up further to the peak. Now it's definitely declined again which is for the best in my opinion.

Inferion is right, 1-2 years ago at least 1 quarter of the intermediates would not be there. Including me.
    Moonlight Road: 210/600

Banned

It's not that they're lowering; they're a cause of being a friend of the Rank Staff or not.
    And as for the undeserved move-ups, there are none that I could think of. (and if I had some names in mind, I wouldn't shout them aloud)
    The rank system over here isn't bad, it's just corrupt. I'm trying to say a move-up can be negotiable, in case the ass-licking isn't enough for this matter. It's not as evenly balanced as it was some time ago.

To shoot some arrows around, I'll go ahead and say there are some Veterans that are better than our current Elites.
    Let's just say Jojishi got moved up to Elites, while Nice Pants would still be stuck in Pivot Veterans. That would be perfectly acceptable to me.
    The other way around, if Nice Pants got Elites and Jojishi would still be stuck in Pivot Veterans, is just overkill.
    I'm sorry if that came out harsh, but it's the way I (and not only) see it. And to agree with every single move-up made in this forum is just idiotic.
    Disagreeing with a move-up is fine, as long as you keep it at a civilised pace. If you go around and yell "Omg wtf you didn't deserve it, noob!", then your point will not be looked upon as a reasonable one, therefore making you look stupid all around.
    Sure, it's highly interpretable as to how one congratulates or disagrees with a move-up, so I'll just leave it the way it is.
    Changing subject; ranks have changed. In a good way, of course. Ranks have raised dramatically in due time, and certain ones became harder to achieve.

There's always going to be that one exception that has more privileges than others do.
    Good day.

I agree with a lower standard for intermediate. Beginner's hall should defintely be for people to get the basics down and have a good understanding of animating. Once you learned that all, you should be rewarded and it's time for the real game.

Intermediate is where you should try to make lenghty animations, but you still have all options to change styles, learn new effects. Experiment in this fase. Once you have shown you can keep up the quality of your animations you'd go to veterans

Time to pull out the big guns, trying your best to get elites with a sick animation and shine on the DDC's. I think you should get elites when you've made an animation that is seriously jawdropping or pushing borders.

Elites is what you deserve for being innovative, determined and overall a very skilled animator. You could either choose to take a break from pivot or work an entire year for the next DDC and get famous as fuck.
    | Pivot | Artwork | Youtube |
    DD Achievements:
    Spoiler:

Beginner:
    • 16 august 2008

Intermediate:
    • 9 January 2009

Veteran:
    • 28 June 2010

666 Posts:
    • 3 July 2010

1000 Posts:
    • 12 November 2010

2000 Posts:
    • 30 March 2011

3000 Posts:
    • 25 December 2011

4000 Posts:
    • 19 November 2012

Vip:
    • 15 July 2010
      Special thanks to Arch

Myfiles:
    • 29 October 2010
      Special thanks to Mango

2 Month ban:
    • 16 July 2010
      Special thanks to Skype

Flume

Quote Originally Posted by Cavolia
    I agree with a lower standard for intermediate. Beginner's hall should defintely be for people to get the basics down and have a good understanding of animating. Once you learned that all, you should be rewarded and it's time for the real game.

Intermediate is where you should try to make lenghty animations, but you still have all options to change styles, learn new effects. Experiment in this fase. Once you have shown you can keep up the quality of your animations you'd go to veterans

Time to pull out the big guns, trying your best to get elites with a sick animation and shine on the DDC's. I think you should get elites when you've made an animation that is seriously jawdropping or pushing borders.

Elites is what you deserve for being innovative, determined and overall a very skilled animator. You could either choose to take a break from pivot or work an entire year for the next DDC and get famous as fuck.
    Yes.

Anyways here is some of what I posted when I saw NP's moveup (sorry for using you as an example NP <3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rez
    But out of them, none really stick out as ground breaking elite stuff and they are also very short. Its funny how it went from making story lined animations and stuff just to get inters, yet short movements can earn the title of elite (with the exception of Gifgiff - his spacing is so advanced, has incredibly original animations and conveys great personality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Rez
    Using Cavolia as an example - his star wars and ddc11 (among his other animations) display some amazing backgrounds, movements, effects, a storyline/setting and have very high entertainment value yet hug a fellow 2 apparently surpasses it.
    To me veteran and elite standards should be pushed up much higher. I'll use yogurt as another example, an excellent animator and I believe he easily has the capability to be veteran, but to me I don't think a dozen short combos warrants a move up to veteran, I wanna see more to prove the rank. Elites should be pushing out jaw dropping shit. Innovation and skill with spacing, poses, 3D, effects, camera work and (to a lesser extent) backgrounds should be a must. They should also be pushing out at least a few longer animations. My two cents.

Veteran Enthusiast Sharpshooter's Avatar

Beginner to Intermediate is fine, it's not as strict as it was a year ago and we are slowly catching up with the move ups in that area. In the past we have had some wild move-ups but more recently I think we have been strong in this area.

Veteran to Elites is the area we seem to be most inconsistent in when it comes to move ups. I think everyone who has been moved recently including lith are deserving of their ranks however when it comes to moving animators such as Jojishi and maybe some other high veterans we aren't always clear with our decisions. Probably due to the fact we all have mixed opinions and different expectations for elites which is no surprise seeing as it's the final rank.

I don't agree with whoever said the staff are bias with the move-ups, example I'm good friends with lithium and I have denied him everytime to elites in the past, same with Bolt and H bomb. Being friends with the animators or not doesn't give you any advantages/disadvantages with the move-ups.

Imo beginner to inters has lowered. I haven't seen any change in inters to vets. Vets to elites is all over the place at the moment, however I do think the standards have slightly lowered but I think it's mainly due to the mixed expectations we all have on this rank.

Enthusiast

The standards have definitely been lowered In my opinion. And I think this Is most apparent In both the veteran an elite sections. As of late, I've found myself questioning more an more moveups. Especially when It comes to the recent Elites. We've had 4 new elites, and of them 4 I only agree with 1. The rest I do not feel are elite yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavolia

I agree to the fullest, an elite should be able to push the boundaries and amaze there viewer, that's what It means to be elite and that's what It meant for a while. Olix and Oblivionfall are great examples of what It truly takes to be an elite animator. Recently I haven't seen anyone I truly feel Is at this level (except maybe 1), and I just feel the title of elite has lost It's sacred and revered reputation.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast