Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music?

Music?

What's your thoughts on people saying that the genre of music they don't like "takes no skill" such as Rap, Metal and Pop, any other genre will be accepted too...

Click for my thread.^

Re: Music?

I am of the belief that all music takes skill. I may not appreciate specific genres as much as others, but that doesn't mean I can blame it on the musicians not being skilled. For example, most pop singers are actually pretty talented singers. They just sing a genre I don't appreciate or care to listen to. And sometimes their image is the thing that matters, not their talent. For example Justin Bieber; he's actually a really talented singer, there's just so much controversy about his image that nobody actually realizes it. I would call his music generic personally, but that doesn't mean it doesn't take skill, and it being generic is completely bound on the listener's ears; not on the musician. I can't hear any difference between his songs, and I don't find them interesting at all, but I respect that some may like it. And hope they'll respect that I do not.
    So yeah, I believe all genres take skill to master, even if the listener can't appreciate it.
    Behaviorally Related Neural Plasticity in the Arthropod Optic Lobes

tumblr | last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Strider
    I am of the belief that all music takes skill. I may not appreciate specific genres as much as others, but that doesn't mean I can blame it on the musicians not being skilled. For example, most pop singers are actually pretty talented singers. They just sing a genre I don't appreciate or care to listen to. And sometimes their image is the thing that matters, not their talent. For example Justin Bieber; he's actually a really talented singer, there's just so much controversy about his image that nobody actually realizes it. I would call his music generic personally, but that doesn't mean it doesn't take skill, and it being generic is completely bound on the listener's ears; not on the musician. I can't hear any difference between his songs, and I don't find them interesting at all, but I respect that some may like it. And hope they'll respect that I do not.
    So yeah, I believe all genres take skill to master, even if the listener can't appreciate it.
    ^You just summed up everything I wanted to say. :D

Click for my thread.^

The fact that I'm able to find more shit rap artists than good one only means that rap does takes a certain amount of skills. My 2 cents.

Perhaps certain genres, types of music or instruments don't require as much technical skill as others, but making music that is good, or artistically valuable is equally as hard on any instrument, relative to the technical skill that you have on that particular instrument. Someone can play the harp and have no idea how to write a meaningful song, and someone can make some beats in flstudio in 5 minutes and rap over them and make it amazing/beautiful. Both are possible. Though in many cases it definitely becomes easier to express that good music, the more skill you have in whatever instrument you're using. Clearly if you have a passion for creating harp music, you won't be able to unless you gain a certain amount of skill in that instrument.

If making good/catchy/artistically valuable music was very easy in genres that require less technical skill, then the majority of people could easily become famous rap stars. And I'm pretty sure we can agree that that's not the case in the world we live in right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ērepgrigo
    Perhaps certain genres, types of music or instruments don't require as much technical skill as others, but making music that is good, or artistically valuable is equally as hard on any instrument, relative to the technical skill that you have on that particular instrument. Someone can play the harp and have no idea how to write a meaningful song, and someone can make some beats in flstudio in 5 minutes and rap over them and make it amazing/beautiful. Both are possible. Though in many cases it definitely becomes easier to express that good music, the more skill you have in whatever instrument you're using. Clearly if you have a passion for creating harp music, you won't be able to unless you gain a certain amount of skill in that instrument.

If making good/catchy/artistically valuable music was very easy in genres that require less technical skill, then the majority of people could easily become famous rap stars. And I'm pretty sure we can agree that that's not the case in the world we live in right now.
    I can agree with you on a few things but the only thing that really stuck out to me was the first sentence. That I can disagree with because all genres are considerably harder. If you are a musician that works by yourself in whatever genre, you still need to learn how to work all the equipment and the instruments if there are any. For example, someone who works with dubstep: it might be easy to make that beat at the end of the day, but it takes a lot to learn all the equipment, software, and anything else that might be involved with your production work.

That's how I personally feel about it, it might be easier for some but I feel as if all music does take a considerable amount of skill and experience to produce something cohesive.
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Faded
    Quote Originally Posted by ērepgrigo

I can agree with you on a few things but the only thing that really stuck out to me was the first sentence. That I can disagree with because all genres are considerably harder. If you are a musician that works by yourself in whatever genre, you still need to learn how to work all the equipment and the instruments if there are any. For example, someone who works with dubstep: it might be easy to make that beat at the end of the day, but it takes a lot to learn all the equipment, software, and anything else that might be involved with your production work.

That's how I personally feel about it, it might be easier for some but I feel as if all music does take a considerable amount of skill and experience to produce something cohesive.

But we're speaking about several genres in general, how can they be cohesive if they follow different styles?

Click for my thread.^

[quote=Dildo Babies]
    Quote Originally Posted by "ērepgrigo":ad4yrnqo

But we're speaking about several genres in general, how can they be cohesive if they follow different styles?[/quote:ad4yrnqo]
    I was talking about music in general.

Sorry for the confusion, you might have just taken my words out of context. I mean all music, not just genres blending with other genres.
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

So you're saying that all genres all have their own intricacies and things about them that make them uniquely hard? Sure, but I do think that some instruments or genres are technically harder in general than others, I don't think they're all equally hard in terms of technical skill. What I do think is equally hard on all instruments, is making good or artistically valuable music (Relative to the skill that they posses for that instrument.)

So I'm saying you can have some dubstep artist and a classical violinist, and they both have the same chance of making music that is good or artistically valuable; but the violin is an extremely hard instrument, and takes years to be able just to perform a simple vibrato. I think the classical violinist has to do a lot more work to just become mediocre at his instrument. Sure there is a lot that goes into making good beat-based electronic music, but to become mediocre at it, I don't think requires as much skill as becoming a mediocre classical violinist. I think the learning curve is much higher on the latter. A person could learn to use drum VSTs, piano rolls, synths and stuff like that in a few days and make something mediocre. I mean, let's get off the electronic music thing, just think guitars. A person could learn 4 chords in a few days and make an amazing song. It's not the same case for the person who wants to play the Contrabass Saxophone. I mean I've got a clarinet here and it's goddamn impossible, but I was playing my first guitar chords a few days in.

[youtube:3g310iz6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9YJM2GCvk8[/youtube:3g310iz6]

So I don't think all instruments are equal in terms of technical skill. Sure they all have their own little idiosyncrasies and subtleties, especially when you're talking about mastering that instrument, but in general I think some instruments have a steeper learning curve than others.

All that aside, I do think that once a person has enough technical skill on whatever instrument they play, at least enough to create even the simplest composition, they have the same chance of creating actual good/artistically valuable music as anyone else. (Though those who need to learn a lot of theory to get a base knowledge of their instrument may be able to more easily express the music that is in their head.)

Veteran Enthusiast

Spoock hit the nail on the hammer. I hate it when people say that rap requires no artistic skill. Look at Lil' Wayne, he has no artistic skill whatsoever, then take a look at someone like Big L or Immortal Technique, who both have such a high vocabulary and the way their lyrics flow is so poetic.

It's like when I used to think dubstep took no skill, as it was just computers. But listening to Skype's music, you can actually see how he has improved, which shows that you can be good and bad at making it.

It is easy to say generic rock and such take a lot of skill, to learn an instrument like the guitar and the piano, and then create something unique out of it requires a lot of artistic intuition.

BUT

It's this stupid auto-tune, that requires no skill in my opinion. You can say "oh they edited the voice artistically" bullshit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast