Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Dedicated Member TheRavenHouse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Awaiting ban
    Posts
    971

    The Right To Death.

    Should someone be allowed to take their own life?
    Is it a right?
    Should it only be legal for adults?
    Is it wrong in all cases?

    I personally believe that once people are adults they should be allowed to kill themselves. I got done talking with a friend of mine a few hours ago, he let me know that he was going to kill himself, I told him that I cared about him and didn't want him to die, but believed he had every right to make that choice himself.
    I'm interested in what y'all think on this matter.

    ___
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashed
    tl;dr: The forum is dying, so is pivot

  2. #2
    Liberty Phish DaniŽl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,507

    Re: The Right To Death.

    I think it entirely depends on the situation. If you've got a whole family and kids that depend on you, I think suicide is one of the most selfish things to do. It's the easy way out and I disrespect it. When it comes to 'being allowed' to kill yourself, I'd generally say no, even though I can understand you're being unhappy, you'd only be hurting others and you should go see a shrink first. When you get to the point where your either tried everything or have no-one caring about you anyways, I'd say the choice is really up to you.
    Basically, before you kill yourself you really have to think about the consequences it will have to others and try to find another way to change your state of mind.

  3. #3
    Global Champyon Stickid's Avatar



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    4,307

    Re: The Right To Death.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRavenHouse
    I got done talking with a friend of mine a few hours ago, he let me know that he was going to kill himself, I told him that I cared about him and didn't want him to die, but believed he had every right to make that choice himself.
    Wow that sounds awful, I'm sorry and I hope your friend changes his mind.

    I've a big believer in one's own rights, it's your life and you can decide what to do with it. But you really have to consider one's state of mind as well, a lot of people who contemplate suicide are mentally sick. I believe that something as serious as suicide should be considered with a clear mind to make a conscious decision.

    Honestly though I've never had anyone close to me take their own life, I have no idea what the pain would feel like. As I am at the moment though, I believe that you should be free to make your own choice, provided that you're well enough to properly consider the consequences.

  4. #4
    Dedicated Member TheRavenHouse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Awaiting ban
    Posts
    971

    Re: The Right To Death.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaniŽl
    Words
    It's a selfish act, yes, but so is joining the military, or getting a sex change, it may hurt the people around them regardless of if it's a good idea or not, and yes sometimes it can be prevented through therapy, but sometimes it's just who they are, and it's more important to them to die, or be a soldier, or be a woman, then to make everyone that knows them happy. I agree if you're a father or mother that you have an obligation to your children not to commit suicide.

    ___
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashed
    tl;dr: The forum is dying, so is pivot

  5. #5
    Veteran Enthusiast


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    6,385

    Re: The Right To Death.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRavenHouse
    Quote Originally Posted by DaniŽl
    Words
    It's a selfish act, yes, but so is joining the military, or getting a sex change, it may hurt the people around them regardless of if it's a good idea or not, and yes sometimes it can be prevented through therapy, but sometimes it's just who they are, and it's more important to them to die, or be a soldier, or be a woman, then to make everyone that knows them happy. I agree if you're a father or mother that you have an obligation to your children not to commit suicide.
    In no way is joining the military selfish. People join the military to fight and possibly die for their entire country, it is one of the most selfless acts someone can do.

    The right to death is not just suicide. Suicide is very selfish in my eyes, there are ways to work through times of grief and struggle. I've had my share of suicidal thoughts, as I expect many of us have (this year has been terrible). The thing that would stop me is my family. The thought of them being distraught and grieving for years leaves a disgusting feeling in my stomach. Not like I'd go through with it anyway.
    Suicide is definitely wrong.

    Euthanasia on the other hand. I completely agree with it. People can be suffering from diseases and illnesses. Pulling the plug is a big yes in my eyes. Why keep someone alive who has less then a 20% chance of coming out of a coma or surviving, all it does is waste hospital resources.

  6. #6
    Enthusiast Mr. Wallace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Devon, England.
    Posts
    1,396

    Re: The Right To Death.

    I don't have too much of a point on this apart from the fact that it being illegal is stupid, you can't arrest the person, they're dead.
    My thread

    Spoiler:

    Spoiler:
    PSN: TestosteroneMong
    Skype: twitchymcflyburger
    Steam: willace997
    PSN: Testosteronemong

  7. #7
    Dedicated Member TheRavenHouse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Awaiting ban
    Posts
    971

    Re: The Right To Death.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon.
    In no way is joining the military selfish. People join the military to fight and possibly die for their entire country, it is one of the most selfless acts someone can do.
    Here in america we don't need anyone to die for us, if you join the military here it's because you're either stupid and honorable or just want to shoot people. It's completely selfish, because it helps (usually) no one, and can kill the person and shatter their family. Wether the person joining the military thinks so or not, it's a selfish act.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon.
    Euthanasia on the other hand. I completely agree with it. People can be suffering from diseases and illnesses. Pulling the plug is a big yes in my eyes. Why keep someone alive who has less then a 20% chance of coming out of a coma or surviving, all it does is waste hospital resources.
    What about mental illness? severe depression is recognized as a mental illness, so why keep someone alive who is going through that much pain and has such a low chance of getting out of it? It's all suicide, wether you call it euthanasia or not.

    ___
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashed
    tl;dr: The forum is dying, so is pivot

  8. #8
    Veteran Enthusiast


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    6,385

    Re: The Right To Death.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRavenHouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon.
    In no way is joining the military selfish. People join the military to fight and possibly die for their entire country, it is one of the most selfless acts someone can do.
    Here in america we don't need anyone to die for us, if you join the military here it's because you're either stupid and honorable or just want to shoot people. It's completely selfish, because it helps (usually) no one, and can kill the person and shatter their family. Wether the person joining the military thinks so or not, it's a selfish act.
    That is, single handedly, the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. Sure there isn't a massive world war happening where your safety is in direct jeopardy, but I can tell you if it wasn't for the men and women in the army, navy and air-force, your life would be in direct danger. I can't believe how you can say it is selfish, when you complaining for them protecting your borders, your household, your family, friends and your lifestyle, you are the selfish one. How can you say it helps no one, when it helps EVERYONE. Every single person in America, Australia, England etc, owe their current lifestyles and lives to the military and the defense system. All I can think about you now is you know nothing of respect and nothing of gratitude to what you have. The hypocrisy you clearly believe in is so ridiculously stupid I can't even comprehend how to insult you with it. You are literally to stupid to insult.

  9. #9
    Dedicated Member TheRavenHouse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Awaiting ban
    Posts
    971

    Re: The Right To Death.

    [quote=Jon.]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRavenHouse
    Quote Originally Posted by "Jon.":r4ayffe1
    In no way is joining the military selfish. People join the military to fight and possibly die for their entire country, it is one of the most selfless acts someone can do.
    Here in america we don't need anyone to die for us, if you join the military here it's because you're either stupid and honorable or just want to shoot people. It's completely selfish, because it helps (usually) no one, and can kill the person and shatter their family. Wether the person joining the military thinks so or not, it's a selfish act.
    That is, single handedly, the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. Sure there isn't a massive world war happening where your safety is in direct jeopardy, but I can tell you if it wasn't for the men and women in the army, navy and air-force, your life would be in direct danger. I can't believe how you can say it is selfish, when you complaining for them protecting your borders, your household, your family, friends and your lifestyle, you are the selfish one. How can you say it helps no one, when it helps EVERYONE. Every single person in America, Australia, England etc, owe their current lifestyles and lives to the military and the defense system. All I can think about you now is you know nothing of respect and nothing of gratitude to what you have. The hypocrisy you clearly believe in is so ridiculously stupid I can't even comprehend how to insult you with it. You are literally to stupid to insult.[/quote:r4ayffe1]
    Back on topic you self-righteous, arrogant, inept, moron. This is hardly the place to argue about this, but if you insist... My life would not be in jeopardy, for the same fucking reason the lives of people in germany, or japan aren't in jeopardy, because terrorists suck at their jobs, because very few people actually hate us, because the only countries with the resources to invade us have no desire to do so. I'm not saying we don't need a military, I'm saying it's way too fucking big, and adding another hapless goon to it wont do us any good. I have respect for doctors, nurses, firemen, EMTs, a little for policemen, but the military doesn't do shit for me, or anyone I've ever met.

    ___
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashed
    tl;dr: The forum is dying, so is pivot

  10. #10
    Veteran Enthusiast


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    6,385

    Re: The Right To Death.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRavenHouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRavenHouse
    Here in america we don't need anyone to die for us, if you join the military here it's because you're either stupid and honorable or just want to shoot people. It's completely selfish, because it helps (usually) no one, and can kill the person and shatter their family. Wether the person joining the military thinks so or not, it's a selfish act.
    That is, single handedly, the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. Sure there isn't a massive world war happening where your safety is in direct jeopardy, but I can tell you if it wasn't for the men and women in the army, navy and air-force, your life would be in direct danger. I can't believe how you can say it is selfish, when you complaining for them protecting your borders, your household, your family, friends and your lifestyle, you are the selfish one. How can you say it helps no one, when it helps EVERYONE. Every single person in America, Australia, England etc, owe their current lifestyles and lives to the military and the defense system. All I can think about you now is you know nothing of respect and nothing of gratitude to what you have. The hypocrisy you clearly believe in is so ridiculously stupid I can't even comprehend how to insult you with it. You are literally to stupid to insult.
    Back on topic you self-righteous, arrogant, inept, moron. This is hardly the place to argue about this, but if you insist... My life would not be in jeopardy, for the same fucking reason the lives of people in germany, or japan aren't in jeopardy, because terrorists suck at their jobs, because very few people actually hate us, because the only countries with the resources to invade us have no desire to do so. I'm not saying we don't need a military, I'm saying it's way too fucking big, and adding another hapless goon to it wont do us any good. I have respect for doctors, nurses, firemen, EMTs, a little for policemen, but the military doesn't do shit for me, or anyone I've ever met.
    You pretty much just aided my argument. There is a reason the countries with the resources don't invade, that is because of the military. Past alliances from other wars, such as America and Australia and similar ideals, one being the selflessness to join the army and fight for your country.
    The countries that would invade don't have the resources purely because of the military's work in the past.
    How am I being self-righteous and arrogant? I'm pretty much stating how joining the military is one of the least selfish acts someone can do for their country.

    You also say terrorists suck at their jobs. The reason for that is because the military stops them from doing so. The reason they have practically failed majority of the time (I say majority because there have been instances of their success, such as 9/11 and the Bali Bombings, which also proves that terrorists don't suck at their jobs) is because of the military's work. Sure you can respect Doctors for what they do, they save lives. But they don't put their life in danger to do so. I respect doctors and nurses.
    Fireman can gain more respect then any of these you listed. They constantly put their lives in danger to save others and save valuables, would you say they are selfish? No, because they are risking their life for the greater good. You could say they are stupid and honorable like you said about someone joining the army. Or maybe they just like putting out fires? Like you said how people who join the military just want to shoot people.
    You obviously have had no authority if you have little respect for policemen. Having a large number of family and friends in the force, I can tell you it is shocking to hear people disrespect the police and the work they do. They would be up higher then firemen on my list, on the same level as a soldier.
    Yeah, thanks for proving my point. You're points, though valid, only back up what I am saying.


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •