Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Secession

Secession

I didn't want to clutter the Political Views thread with the recent news of United States citizens signing petitions to potentially secede from the Union; however, in lieu of the recent article I just read, I thought it would be nice for this "big" news to have a chance at discussion on everything that is going on.

http://www.examiner.com/article/texas-s ... signatures
    http://www.ibtimes.com/texas-secession- ... res-886790

What do you guys think of this whole idea?
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

Re: Secession

I don't live in the United States, but I think it's a bad idea. Once Texas gets independant, more states will succeed in becoming that. When states can regulate their own taxes they will be able to influence their population. You may get tax paradises for rich people so they all move to that state, lower taxes for companies and disbalance the economy or they can raise taxes to the extreme and make the lives of people who can't move a hell.

What I think is going to happen is that states will start to differ to extremes which is a bad thing.
    | Pivot | Artwork | Youtube |
    DD Achievements:
    Spoiler:

Beginner:
    • 16 august 2008

Intermediate:
    • 9 January 2009

Veteran:
    • 28 June 2010

666 Posts:
    • 3 July 2010

1000 Posts:
    • 12 November 2010

2000 Posts:
    • 30 March 2011

3000 Posts:
    • 25 December 2011

4000 Posts:
    • 19 November 2012

Vip:
    • 15 July 2010
      Special thanks to Arch

Myfiles:
    • 29 October 2010
      Special thanks to Mango

2 Month ban:
    • 16 July 2010
      Special thanks to Skype

Dedicated Member Faulty Cripple's Avatar

Well if there was a succession, I would imagine any government type thing to go into chaos for a few months, I would imagine a lot of the population would leave to the motherland. Money would have to be replaced and importing and exporting would be rethought. Causing the land to go into total poverty.
    xbx is gud
    |Xbox GT: Faulty Cripple

Both rather good answers and it's understandable because I actually agree with what you guys are talking about; however, you all seem to be missing out on one thing.

Take a look at the 1860s before the Civil War even started and Lincoln was elected as the President. That right there was one of the contributing factors leading up to the Civil War. Yeah, the Civil War was primarily about the rights as to whether or not you could own slaves; however, there were things preceding this that involved the president which as stated before was Lincoln, State Rights, and overall just a bunch of other things that the soon-to-be existing Confederacy didn't see to eye-to-eye with the Union on which led to the secession of the South. Bring it back to today and look at what is happening in the United States: it's history repeating itself. I say this because the South again does not see eye-to-eye with the Union over the election of Obama and his agenda for his second term and wants to become an independent. I fear that we are going to be seeing a second Civil War because importing and exporting is going to get messed up again and the Union is going to try to do something about it which will only piss off people and we're going to start fighting on our homeland. Sure, we aren't fighting about slaves this time around but still, I ask this question: did we not learn anything from the past?
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Even if Texas were to secede they don't have enough money/food to survive on their own. Most of the states for secession are southern, republican, states whereas most of the food and manufacturing in American lies in the north/democratic states. There's a lot of industry in the northeast and I might be wrong but I think California alone accounts for like 1/3 of the food supply in the US.

Also, Faded I don't really see a second secession happening. The reason the south lost the civil war was because they couldn't support themselves and they're (hopefully) not ignorant enough to realize that the exact same thing would happen again. It's seems like it's just more of a way to show discontent with Obama than an actual push for independence.

If you don't know the guy on the other side of the world, love him anyway because he's just like you. He has the same dreams, the same hopes and fears. It's one world, pal. We're all neighbors.

Slide

[loh-key-shuhn] n; a place of settlement, activity, or residence

The secession idea is stupid. It will not happen, as they won't get enough support for it, and if they did do it it would be a stupid idea.

That being said, they have every right to secede. To have a government, you need the consent of te governed. If the citizens of Texas no longer consent, they have every right to make their own government. I honestly doubt this would lead to a civil war, either, but it is a possibility.

Banned

I think it's pretty stupid. Given the amount of different places in America, things would seem to get quite messy with all of the different governments. It's pointless and it just sounds like some republicans idea of breaking away from the more democratic turn the country is taking.

I'm all for the United States being broken in to smaller pieces, since I believe it's too large to be governed. But secession is a stupid idea created by stupid people.

___
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashed
    tl;dr: The forum is dying, so is pivot