Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Bullying Made a Crime

Should bullying be made a crime?

Lots of people hate bullying and bullies themselves, but these same people also believe that it should be made a crime to make fun of someone. This isn't just inside the school yard, but also extends to sites such as Facebook where simply typing a sentence can make you a criminal.

It is clear to me that this is a restriction on freedom of speech. What can be deemed as bullying varies among people, and once we stop restricting what is right to say and what isn't, we limit freedom of speech and then it will start creeping up until we can't make a joke anymore.

Slide

[loh-key-shuhn] n; a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Re: Bullying Made a Crime

No. There's no way to define bullying. Also, yes, it restricts freedom of speech. In general the government has no right I regulate things like this.

Also, I don't see bullying as half the problem it's made out to be.

Banned

I agree. I can totally sympathize with people in the sense that it is a terrible thing, but there are better ways to deal with it than by criminalizing it. I have been bullied myself so I know exactly what it is like, but making it a criminal offence is not the right answer.

Enthusiast

I'm torn on this subject; on one hand bullying can cause very serious emotional problems and even stimulate existing mental disabilities. In extreme cases it can lead to the victim self harming or even committing suicide. And with that in mind it would be extremely selfish of us to object to a law that could save lives.

However I'm well aware that this law could lead to someone getting locked up for the occasional sentence or two, or a minor one off insult in which the victim is pursued no further. It would be absurd for someone to be locked up for this.

There's a good side and a bad one here so I'm not sure. If they were specific about what they considered bullying, and it wasn't as strict as to hinder our freedom of speech then maybe.

Veteran Enthusiast

I don't think it should be made a crime. What are we going to do with five year old kids who bully others? Fine them? Jesus.
    Maybe for older people, but threats, which is said to be bullying, is also classified as Assault, so it already is a crime in a sense.
    But to a degree, I think part of bullying is necessary. Me and my mates bully each other all the time, and I think it builds character. I've seen people at work get so upset when the boss says you're doing a shit job. When he says it to me, I don't get upset, I see it for what it is. A frustrated man trying to do his job, and get us to do ours. So yeah, I think it does help people in later life.

But back on topic.
    It can't be made a crime for younger children, or even teenagers. But when it's life threats, it can be classified as assault.

Dedicated Member Faulty Cripple's Avatar

In my oh so educated opinion. Bullying is really rough on people, I agree on some things like on how to regulate little children, that should really be the parents job to teach their children the morals that they should have. Bully over the internet and in schools is pretty intense nowadays. When someone is being bullied (Or at least in my school) people crowd around and encourage the bully. Nothing is really done to the bully but a three day suspension at most. Then the videos taken are posted on the web for the embarrassment to the victim to be even more widespread. Which leads to depression and in extreme cases, suicide.

E: Edited my post because apparently I sounded like a little old cunt.
    xbx is gud
    |Xbox GT: Faulty Cripple

Slide

[loh-key-shuhn] n; a place of settlement, activity, or residence

How old are you, Graff?

Uhm, violence is already against the law, so being bullied physically wouldn't be an issue. Posting this for people like Graff who obviously thought about the physical side of this.

As for emotional bullying, a law can't be made on it. I cracked a joke once and the girl I cracked it on took it completely wrong and started to shout at me for it. If I'd go to jail/get a fine/whatever for that it'd be pretty stupid.

It'd be a huge chainreaction too, taking the example of earlier, I could say her reaction was bullying to me too and that it left me psychologically harmed, getting her in jail/a fine/whatever too.

No, not a smart plan if you ask me.

Uh, hi. I do stuff.

Veteran Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb
    Uhm, violence is already against the law, so being bullied physically wouldn't be an issue. Posting this for people like Graff who obviously thought about the physical side of this.

As for emotional bullying, a law can't be made on it. I cracked a joke once and the girl I cracked it on took it completely wrong and started to shout at me for it. If I'd go to jail/get a fine/whatever for that it'd be pretty stupid.

It'd be a huge chainreaction too, taking the example of earlier, I could say her reaction was bullying to me too and that it left me psychologically harmed, getting her in jail/a fine/whatever too.

No, not a smart plan if you ask me.
    This.
    Physicality is fact. There is pure hard evidence of physical damage to someone because of bullying, and most forensics investigators can determine whether it is self inflicted or not.

Emotional distress is opinionated. Therefore, there is no definitive right or wrong in the situation, and no hard evidence can be found.

Neo

I am completely stuck on this subject, but here goes.
    I personally if you as an individual intentionally oppress or harm, physically, emotionally, sexually mentally, it is a crime, BUT, if you participate in something of the sort and are not continually being oppressive, you are not committing a crime. But I personally believe cyber-bullying is a different matter, unless the person(s) being oppressive can be found, which often can, you are then committing a criminal offense. But like Piracy, officials have no control over it. I think it is a criminal offense where it can be identified. If you are not identified, you may still be committing a crime, but you will most likely not be caught for it.

Now, I know there are people who think bullying is not serious enough to be crime. I would partially disagree. Oppressive acts such as bullying should only be a criminal offense when it get's really serious, which it often does.

|Pivot|YouTube|Easytoon|Flash|Animation Blog|Want some CC?

Ranks
    Spoiler:
    Intermediate: 11th November 2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast