Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: The Police.

The Police.

Alright, this issue's been on my head lately, I currently live in the UK, I am a black citizen, but the question I'm wondering is my rights when it comes to being stopped and questioned by the police.

Last Summer, me and a group of my friends were stopped by the police because nearby some youths were seen breaking into a school. They said we matched the descriptions and took down our details, yet my friend mentioned after that they said they didn't know what the suspects looked like.

A few weeks later we were stopped again by police because of complaints of swearing and vandalism. At the time of the incident me a few of us went to the shops and McDonalds to get food and drink, while some other boys were climbing onto parking roofs and jumping into bushes. This time, I had learnt a bit more and taken down their badge numbers.

Recently, I was talking to my Mum and we were discussing arguing with people of power, mainly around the topic of teachers picking on students, but then she told me not to argue with the police, I could see her becoming upset because she sounded like she was close to tears and had a lump in her throat, she warned me because the police seem not to take kindly to people of different ethnic backgrounds.

Tl;dr, what's my rights when dealing with police when being stopped?

Edit: I'm also 15 years old, can somebody explain my rights?

Click for my thread.^

Re: The Police.

I have no idea what the people's rights in the UK are, but here is a great youtube channel for those in America, FlexYourRights:

[youtube:1nq7n52t]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4nQ_mFJV4I[/youtube:1nq7n52t]

Starts at 1:24. It's a series of reenactments of situations and what you're supposed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ērepgrigo
    I have no idea what the people's rights in the UK are, but here is a great youtube channel for those in America, FlexYourRights:

[youtube:2jw5736f]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4nQ_mFJV4I[/youtube:2jw5736f]

Starts at 1:24. It's a series of reenactments of situations and what you're supposed to do.
    This is American, I live in the UK.

Click for my thread.^

Quote Originally Posted by Dildo Babies
    I know, that's why I said it's for people in America.

[quote=ērepgrigo]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dildo Babies":38cpbk6h
    I know, that's why I said it's for people in America.[/quote:38cpbk6h]

This has nothing to do with what I'm asking... -.-

Click for my thread.^

oxymoron

It's not really fit for the Debate section if you're just here to ask personal questions..

ℋope

[quote=Dildo Babies][quote="ērepgrigo":2nvbbhdx]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dildo Babies":2nvbbhdx
    I know, that's why I said it's for people in America.[/quote:2nvbbhdx]

This has nothing to do with what I'm asking... -.-[/quote:2nvbbhdx]

That's your personal problem, no one needs a debate for it

Veteran Enthusiast

I despise people who talk about how much they hate the police. They would be the first people you'd call if you were in trouble.

Anyway.

Me and my friend were stopped one night, when we were walking back to my house. Like you, they said there was complaints of vandalism at a school, and said we matched the description. They have the right to ask what you were doing, but they can't take you on a hunch. They need witnesses to say they saw you do it, plus they need any other form of evidence.

By questioning you, they are just doing their job. Don't be to quick to play the race card, too many people do that, and it makes people like me a bit annoyed that you can blame something on your race. The only thing you are doing is further discriminating yourself by doing that.

If, in your area, more black people commit crime than white people. They will most likely stop and search more black people of any given - look-of-shiftyness - than other skin colours, same goes with any other race in any area. Called profiling I think.
    If ANY police officer infers, in words, that because you are a certain race, it makes you inferior or worse than any other race, you can sue the living fuck out of him and the force and become very RICH, so just hope you have some racist police in your area =D
    I'm afraid generally the police are quite good and the force will deal very harshly with any racism by their officers.
    Your rights in terms of what they can and cant do will be listed on the met police website.
    If you comply with them, and don't swear or be obstructive, they cant do anything really (excluding search you) so if you have done no wrong, you have nothing to fear
    AnimationsGoogle|PA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Win_Guy
    Energy doesn't obey the laws of physics

Quote Originally Posted by Blot
    I despise people who talk about how much they hate the police. They would be the first people you'd call if you were in trouble.

Anyway.

Me and my friend were stopped one night, when we were walking back to my house. Like you, they said there was complaints of vandalism at a school, and said we matched the description. They have the right to ask what you were doing, but they can't take you on a hunch. They need witnesses to say they saw you do it, plus they need any other form of evidence.

By questioning you, they are just doing their job. Don't be to quick to play the race card, too many people do that, and it makes people like me a bit annoyed that you can blame something on your race. The only thing you are doing is further discriminating yourself by doing that.
    If the police harass citizens they're going to be disliked, I'm pulling the race card with good reason.

Click for my thread.^