Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Self Harm

Self Harm

this isn't really a debate though it is a sensitive subject so I figured it should go here.

So I've thought a lot about self harm, cutting, burning, etc., lately.
    So what I was wondering was why people do it, I've talked to a few people on the subject and they've all given completely different answers. I wanted to know more takes on it, any opinions, or personal experiences with self harm anyone has. I know a couple people who've cut themselves but they really don't like to talk about it so I can't discuss it with them.

___
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashed
    tl;dr: The forum is dying, so is pivot

Banned

Re: Self Harm

[spoiler:1zgmspo5][tn=630:1zgmspo5]http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/64769_343189372467299_844797878_n.png[/tn:1zgmspo5][/spoiler:1zgmspo5]

What exactly are you trying to prove by that Radium...? You're making a very broad generalization. Not everybody who cuts is an attentionwhore, actually I'm pretty sure most of those who harm themselves don't tell anyone.
    I've been in situations where I've wanted to cut myself just for the sake of trying, but I've always been way too much of a pussy to actually do it. Not being able to do it was actually more depressing than being in the mood where I wanted to do it.

I don't know a lot about self harm, and I've only ever met one girl who's done it (that I know of anyway).
    Behaviorally Related Neural Plasticity in the Arthropod Optic Lobes

tumblr | last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Strider
    I've been in situations where I've wanted to cut myself just for the sake of trying, but I've always been way too much of a pussy to actually do it. Not being able to do it was actually more depressing than being in the mood where I wanted to do it.

I've been there too, having a razor pressed against my arm but not being able to move it for some reason. I don't know why I wanted to cut myself though, it's weird. Do you know why you wanted to? If that's not too much of a personal question.

Quote Originally Posted by Radium
    [spoiler:34cn584u][tn=630:34cn584u]http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/64769_343189372467299_844797878_n.png[/tn:34cn584u][/spoiler:34cn584u]

Yeah, that happens, but like Strider said most people who hurt themselves aren't like that, the people I know who did it hardly told anyone. Also, thinking about the attitude that goes along with hurting yourself for attention, it may be one of the more depressing reasons, imagine what someone has to go through to be willing to damage themselves so that other people will take notice. Just because someone is a massive bitch doesn't mean they don't feel pain.

___

Girl I'm close to says it helps when she's down, takes the sadness and the anger away. Makes me sad seeing her cut up tho. I'm really curious as well but I don't think I'll ever do it

Slide

[loh-key-shuhn] n; a place of settlement, activity, or residence

I am a cutter, but actually I would argue that the majority of people who do it actually are attention whores. I don't think I am, but seeing as attention whores don't know they're attention whores I can't say with 100% certainty I'm not. Oh, the human mind. In any case, here's my analysis on cutting:

Most people I know do it for attention. I've met many people who've done it and, to me, they're doing it because they want to feel special. Negative attention is still desirable to many people, even if they get plenty of attention by not being sad. I've met so many people who say they're depressed and they just... Aren't. People like feeling sad for the attention and that's all there is to it, so they make themselves sad over things that are incredibly silly to be sad over. They also do this because the media has convinced them that being sad is okay and also increased the amount of drama involved in just about everything. Honestly, 50 years ago if a kid was bullied they sucked it up. Today they become depressed and cut themselves or commit suicide. Society is becoming weaker as whole and I despise it. Those who are fake depressed over nothing are lying to themselves, not facing what is right, and need to recognize reality. Those who are depressed over nothing quite frankly need to suck it up.

But that's just most cases. I recognize that sometimes bullying actually is extremely brutal, and there are certain things in this world that are just too much for people to take. All I'm saying is that the fake ones need to stop lying.

That's a side note. As for the people who are real, I think if you asked a hundred different people you would get a hundred different answers. My reason used to be that physical pain was better than emotional pain. In case you've ever heard the phrase "I'm gonna punch you in the face so your stomach stops hurting" or anything to that effect, that's the mentality. By physically harming yourself you distract yourself from the emotional pain, and it can go away or dull or the time being. I also used to do it as punishment for being a miserable excuse for a human etc.

Some people get into spots where they're so overwhelmed they can't feel anything. Emotions aren't there anymore, an they just... Don't care. It's like a prolonged state of shock. I've been there once, and it was quite scary I have to say. They cut to feel again.

I, today, do it because it makes things real. A physical manifestation of a problem that is abstract. I have problems dealing with the abstract, and I feel that when I have mental pain I need to prove that it's there. Make it real, or something to that effect. I also do it as expression. Things just seem so much more meaningful when they're written in blood or scars, and so I cut to express emotions.

Physically, though, it's like a drug. When you self harm your brain releases hormones or endorphins or something (I don't remember what the doctor said) and you get a momentary relief. Problem is its also like a drug in the fact that the body becomes used to whatever is released, and the next one it takes a deeper, more painful cut to achieve the same result. The mind becomes addicted in the same way it would to a drug (not a physical addiction, just a mental one).

My two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Spock
    [spoiler:27g4cegi]I am a cutter, but actually I would argue that the majority of people who do it actually are attention whores. I don't think I am, but seeing as attention whores don't know they're attention whores I can't say with 100% certainty I'm not. Oh, the human mind. In any case, here's my analysis on cutting:

Most people I know do it for attention. I've met many people who've done it and, to me, they're doing it because they want to feel special. Negative attention is still desirable to many people, even if they get plenty of attention by not being sad. I've met so many people who say they're depressed and they just... Aren't. People like feeling sad for the attention and that's all there is to it, so they make themselves sad over things that are incredibly silly to be sad over. They also do this because the media has convinced them that being sad is okay and also increased the amount of drama involved in just about everything. Honestly, 50 years ago if a kid was bullied they sucked it up. Today they become depressed and cut themselves or commit suicide. Society is becoming weaker as whole and I despise it. Those who are fake depressed over nothing are lying to themselves, not facing what is right, and need to recognize reality. Those who are depressed over nothing quite frankly need to suck it up.

But that's just most cases. I recognize that sometimes bullying actually is extremely brutal, and there are certain things in this world that are just too much for people to take. All I'm saying is that the fake ones need to stop lying.

That's a side note. As for the people who are real, I think if you asked a hundred different people you would get a hundred different answers. My reason used to be that physical pain was better than emotional pain. In case you've ever heard the phrase "I'm gonna punch you in the face so your stomach stops hurting" or anything to that effect, that's the mentality. By physically harming yourself you distract yourself from the emotional pain, and it can go away or dull or the time being. I also used to do it as punishment for being a miserable excuse for a human etc.

Some people get into spots where they're so overwhelmed they can't feel anything. Emotions aren't there anymore, an they just... Don't care. It's like a prolonged state of shock. I've been there once, and it was quite scary I have to say. They cut to feel again.

I, today, do it because it makes things real. A physical manifestation of a problem that is abstract. I have problems dealing with the abstract, and I feel that when I have mental pain I need to prove that it's there. Make it real, or something to that effect. I also do it as expression. Things just seem so much more meaningful when they're written in blood or scars, and so I cut to express emotions.

Physically, though, it's like a drug. When you self harm your brain releases hormones or endorphins or something (I don't remember what the doctor said) and you get a momentary relief. Problem is its also like a drug in the fact that the body becomes used to whatever is released, and the next one it takes a deeper, more painful cut to achieve the same result. The mind becomes addicted in the same way it would to a drug (not a physical addiction, just a mental one).

My two cents.[/spoiler:27g4cegi]
    So do you think you're ever gonna stop? I mean, you seem to understand the risks and problems involved pretty well.

___

Veteran Enthusiast

No offence if you guys do it, but I think it is a really petty thing to do. There are so many healthier options to alleviate emotional turmoil. The best one I can think of is exercise. Go out for a run, join the gym and lift some weights, or if you'd prefer, stay inside and just do push ups. Go for a swim. Seriously, cutting yourself to feel some sort of physical pain is kind of stupid, when you could go get a job, bust your ass and feel physical pain, whilst also getting something out of it. Or like I said, go to the gym, and push yourself to the point of physical exhaustion.

Cutting is the easy way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Blot
    No offence if you guys do it, but I think it is a really petty thing to do. There are so many healthier options to alleviate emotional turmoil. The best one I can think of is exercise. Go out for a run, join the gym and lift some weights, or if you'd prefer, stay inside and just do push ups. Go for a swim. Seriously, cutting yourself to feel some sort of physical pain is kind of stupid, when you could go get a job, bust your ass and feel physical pain, whilst also getting something out of it. Or like I said, go to the gym, and push yourself to the point of physical exhaustion.

Of course it's the easy way out, that's why people do it. If people feel emotionally destroyed it's a lot harder to lift weights then to drag a blade across your skin.

___

Veteran Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by TheRavenHouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Blot

Of course it's the easy way out, that's why people do it. If people feel emotionally destroyed it's a lot harder to lift weights then to drag a blade across your skin.
    I've had a tough year, and not once have I even thought about putting a blade to my skin. I've gone and fucking ruined myself in the gym, pushed myself to limits I didn't think I was capable of. The feeling is so incredible, I feel like nothing can stop me, emotionally or physically. The easy way out is just stupid.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast