Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Islam

Enthusiast

Re: Islam

I'm fine with Islam, as for the result of more radicals, I think that's the case because it's a newer religion, and as we've seen from religions such as Christianity, their were a lot of people who were very radical about it in the beginning, as oppose to today where there's hardly anyone who has actually read the entire bible and still consider themselves Christians. It's probably way more complicated then that or it may even be wrong, but I would really appreciate it if someone would correct me.

credits to insertstupidusernamehere for the signature

PM me if you want courtesy.

Why don't you all look back about 40 years. It has nothing to do with how "new" Islam is. It is not new, compared to other Abrahamic religions, I guess so. However not all of Islam is radical, it is only with the new waves of radicalism with the Taliban and Al Qaeda. The Taliban were originally the Mujahideen during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan who fought against the Soviets with funding from the United States. And this is a brief explanation as to why Islam is why it is today. Every argument you guys are using to try and justify it are almost identical to the Christian radicals. Yes, there are radical Christians, for example the Phineas Priesthood.

Quote Originally Posted by Blot
    The difference I can see is that Christians have for the most part abolished the real nasty acts of violence from the new wave of Christian teachings (i.e. no more stoning and such) but as for the Q'ran I can't say the same.
    Lol, that is definitely not true. Islam has radicals, Christianity has radicals. Yes, there are liberal theists in both religions regarding the act of violence is still present in both religions.
    R.I.P Grace - 18 November 1997 - 14 March 2011

|PM Me |My Thread |Request a Move Up |Report a Rulebreaker |The Rules |

Veteran Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    [color=#FF8000]

The difference I can see is that Christians have for the most part abolished the real nasty acts of violence from the new wave of Christian teachings (i.e. no more stoning and such) but as for the Q'ran I can't say the same.
    Lol, that is definitely not true. Islam has radicals, Christianity has radicals. Yes, there are liberal theists in both religions regarding the act of violence is still present in both religions.
    NEW WAVE. Sure the Bible has stonings and rah rah rah. I'm talking about the fundamental Christian morals and teachings. The ones I've experienced anyway, at my school. I'm not Christian, but the teachings were never violent. It was always about respecting every other religion and anyone elses belief system.

I agree with what you said. There are preachings in both the bible and the Q'ran that state how we should deal with those who go against the writings and teachings in said books. The difference I can see is that Christians have for the most part abolished the real nasty acts of violence from the new wave of Christian teachings (i.e. no more stoning and such) but as for the Q'ran I can't say the same.
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unreaso...with-religion/ Maybe NSFW

There are Christian witch burnings throughout Africa.
    Also there is a difference between Christian teachings and the Quran. Just as there is a difference between Muslim teachings and the Bible.
    It does come down to the radicals, and like you said, there is maybe more radicals who follow Islam, than there is Christianity, Buddhism, or Judaism.
    No, it is just what you see in the media.

NEW WAVE. Sure the Bible has stonings and rah rah rah. I'm talking about the fundamental Christian morals and teachings. The ones I've experienced anyway, at my school. I'm not Christian, but the teachings were never violent. It was always about respecting every other religion and anyone elses belief system.
    It's not a new wave, it is a take over by extremists. That is why no many people flee those countries. If you don't want to talk fundamental Christian morals and teachings stop going on about Islamic morals and teachings then.

Veteran Enthusiast

Are you actually blind? If you read I said "I'm talking about the fundamental Christian morals and teachings."

It's not what I see in the media, I do a lot of further reading. Being a journalism student, it's kind of required to look beyond the general media, and find out the truth behind the stories.

I never said Christianity wasn't violent. All religion is stupid. But the amount of violent protests and acts of violence (particularly against women) done by the extremist Islamic community, far outweighs the violent acts done by the extremist Christian community. I don't condone what either have done, but from what I've read, there are so many more cases of positive Christian action, compared to positive Islamic action.

But that link you posted is true. Religion has done nothing to really help the world bar the few charitable events and fundraising for those starving in Africa etc etc.
    Except for Gay marriage rights. I don't know why they have to call it marriage, when they can have a civil partnership. But that's a whole other debate.

The only reason you hear more about "positive" Christian actions is because that is what the target market/majority want to hear. Whenever somebody of an Islamic background does anything good, they are most likely not going to report it in the news.

Veteran Enthusiast

Actually part of my family are Islamic. I have two cousins and my aunty who were born Islamic, and my uncle who is a blood relative who converted. I've heard some stories about positive Islamic action, but not on the same level as some of the Christian actions. I research a lot about this (I tend to research stuff that makes me angry, religion, politics etc.)

Religion is still the stupidest thing in the world. I believe in the lord of light.

I believe that religion is a good thing on its own, but people just interperate it wrongly, causing it to be one of the most destructive things in the world.

As for Islam, I hate it. I wouldn't have anything against it as long as it doesn't cause harm and people who don't cause any are free to be Muslim in my opinion, but sadly this isn't the case in probably the majority of Islamic countries.

Actually part of my family are Islamic. I have two cousins and my aunty who were born Islamic, and my uncle who is a blood relative who converted. I've heard some stories about positive Islamic action, but not on the same level as some of the Christian actions. I research a lot about this (I tend to research stuff that makes me angry, religion, politics etc.)

Religion is still the stupidest thing in the world. I believe in the lord of light.
    1. Just because you have relatives who are Islam, does not, therefore, justify your opinion on Islam, nor give you superior knowledge. I have cousins who are Christian, no justification for my opinion either.

2. Researching topics which make you irate will do nothing but enforce your bias.

3. No shit, but that doesn't justify your opinion on Islam.

Veteran Enthusiast

My opinion is justified due to my personal experiences. You can't say it isn't because you don't know every aspect of what has lead to this opinion of mine. I've had run ins with Islamic people, same with Christians. The latter were much friendlier, and didn't try and start any physical confrontation. Just the same as how I hate majority of Aboriginals. You can scream and shout that my opinion isn't justified, but in reality it is.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast